Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PC datalogger for VR-4 - it works!

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Just a quick question.... Are the parameters correct for the VR-4? Reason I ask is that on the Mitsulogger the 'Injector Scale' setting is greyed out at 513 - whereas, (on the assumption this is Injector CCs) we have 390 ones. Does Evoscan have some adjustability (if needed?)

Name
    Adrian
    Last Online
    31-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2021 Mazda CX30

I think Mitsulogger allows you to change the Injector Scale before you start logging, then it's greyed out while actually logging. The screenshots are "live" shots of logging in progress.

Having looked at the log I captured in Evoscan the other day, it's apparent the some of the parameters are incorrect for the VR-4 (e.g. my max speed according to the log was 60mph, and let's just say I know I went faster than this ). There's a text file (XML I think but I'll check later) which holds all the parameters and this is editable. Maybe once we've got the parameters correct we could persuade the bloke to repackage as a VR4-specific version (Leggy-logger?!)

I need to capture full logs using Ecuedit and Mitsulogger to compare with the Evoscan log, but I just haven't got round to it yet. Dark nights don't help! Shame about the time of year that this has stuff been found as it would have been useful to look at all this at one of the shows...

aDe
    Last edited by AderC; 09-11-2006 at 01:56 PM.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Does evoscan, ecuedit, mitsulogger, have the option of selecting which port is used on the pc for data collection e.g. USB (which is plug and play), Com1, com2, com3, ect, like most data loggers. Or is it USB only.
    The reason i ask is i can rewire my OBDII cable that plugs into my com1, and use that, if all that is required is pin 1 grounded and a bit of software to read the mitsi flavour of protocol, which is mitsilogger or evoscan

cheers dave

back again, it would have helped if i had checked the screen shot as top left is the com 1, com 2 selection.
    so i will give it a go.

Name
    Adrian
    Last Online
    31-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2021 Mazda CX30

I don't think a standard OBDII cable will work without an interface between cable and PC (there's some voltage conversion to be done between the OBD and the RS-232).

Just to clarify Kieran's question about adjustability - all 3 pieces of software are configured via XML files, so parameters are all fully editable.

aDe

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

i did stated in my post above that i have an OBDII cable that already plug directly into my PC com1 port. so it must have the apropriate signal convertion hardware built in to it already to convert from OBDII to RS232 signal levels.
    I was asking if anyone had tried using such a cable with one of the pieces of software listed above, with pin 1 grounded.

I have another question,

Does mitsulogger work with win98 as i have installed it on XP which worked and then on my diagnostic laptop win98 and it came up with errors when trying to install it. and yes i did put .net frameworks 2 on it before trying to install it as the mitsulogger requests.

I already use digimoto with ISO interface on it and that work great on a car that supports an OBDII ISO flavour (My jeep and friends Volvo)
    Last edited by Davezj; 12-11-2006 at 11:30 PM.

Name
    Adrian
    Last Online
    31-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2021 Mazda CX30

I don't think Mitsulogger will work without the Openport cable. I think it will only search for an FTDI USB-Serial interface and doesn't give you the option to select a COM port. You don't say what the errors are - is it complaining about FTDI drivers?

ecuedit website claims it supports OBDII cables as well as the Openport, and Evoscan has COM1/COM2/FTDI options on the main screen.

aDe

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Cheers for the info, i will give it go and see.

I will let you all now what happens.

any ideas on the win98 issue.

cheers dave

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    29-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2000 vr4 legnum

well done ader ive just read this thread have some more repoints

Name
    Adrian
    Last Online
    31-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2021 Mazda CX30

Finally got round to posting some log file examples so people can play with the software using real VR-4 logs:

EcuEdit
    Evoscan
    Mitsulogger

I've also come across another piece of software for viewing and interpreting the log files called DataLogLab, which looks the MUT's nuts (no pun intended! ) There's a config file on the Mitsulogger website which allows DataLogLab to read in both Mitsulogger and Evoscan logs directly.

aDe

Name
    Adrian
    Last Online
    31-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2021 Mazda CX30

I've had a play with DataLogLab this weekend after capturing a power-run in Evoscan (accelerate from 1500rpm to redline with pedal to metal as per the DataLogLab instructions).

I've entered the data for the VR-4 as follows (feel free to let me know if any numbers are incorrect as I'm sure some will be - I'm especially unsure on the drag coefficient as I remember reading this somewhere but can't recall where):

and

The power curve produced from DataLogLab:

Figures don't seem too unreasonable for a standard 98 auto?! Would be interesting to compare to a "real" dyno run though. I also don't think I was actually doing 153mph in 3rd gear, honest officer!

Hardest bit was finding somewhere with a clear run to capture the log itself. Ended up flooring it from the sliproad at Keele services and nearly taking out a middle-lane-hogging Boxster in the process...

aDe

Name
    Keith
    Last Online
    04-07-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR4, MT & AT

Please advise,
    if i start from zero

what should i buy?
    1) software, which one?
    2) cable, which one?
    3) PC - XP windows; OK?

mine VR4 8g

Name
    Adrian
    Last Online
    31-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2021 Mazda CX30

Probably worth summarising the options now I've had time to play with it all!

Cable-wise there are now 2 options. The author of Evoscan is listing a cable for 69 US$ (or $80 with reflashing capability) which has the necessary grounding built in to the cable, BUT I haven't seen one of these cables so can't comment on compatibility or quality myself, although he's assured me it will work. I have the Tactrix Openport cable (89 us$), which has been demonstrated to work when pin 1 on the OBD port is grounded.

Software-wise, I'd go for Evoscan (25 US$) for the logging and fault-code reading. Mitsulogger works great for logging and is free so you might as well download it, but it doesn't allow you to extract fault codes. Evoscan will eventually have similar on-road dyno functionality as DataLogLab, but in the meantime DataLogLab (on offer at 40 US$ at the moment) is the best option for analysis of the log files. ecuEdit is also worth a look as it has some nice "digital dash" features but is more pricey at 120 US$ (fully working demo version with nag screens is available to try out before shelling out!)

All works fine on my laptop with XP Pro.

aDe

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Ade - do any of these programs log Knock Sensor readings?

Name
    Adrian
    Last Online
    31-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2021 Mazda CX30

Knock sum is one of the parameters logged. See the example logs in post #29 - these show the full range of parameters that can be logged.

aDe

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by AderC
    Knock sum is one of the parameters logged. See the example logs in post #29 - these show the full range of parameters that can be logged.

aDe
    Ta!

Out of interest, what are your knock values reading as? And does the petrol you use make a difference (if indeed, you've measured this?)?

Name
    Adrian
    Last Online
    31-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2021 Mazda CX30

I'm getting almost all 0's. Occasional 1 or 2 under acceleration Only use V-Power (or BP Ultimate occasionally) so can't comment on the readings on different fuel. Maybe I should try filling up on the weak stuff and see what happens.

One other logged parameter is "Octane flag", which as I understand it has a value of 100% if the ECU is fully utilising the high octane map, and the value is decreased if the ECU encounters any knock counts above 5. Apparently it interpolates values between the high and low octane maps. Mine's showing 100%.

aDe

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by AderC
    I'm getting almost all 0's. Occasional 1 or 2 under acceleration Only use V-Power (or BP Ultimate occasionally) so can't comment on the readings on different fuel. Maybe I should try filling up on the weak stuff and see what happens.

One other logged parameter is "Octane flag", which as I understand it has a value of 100% if the ECU is fully utilising the high octane map, and the value is decreased if the ECU encounters any knock counts above 5. Apparently it interpolates values between the high and low octane maps. Mine's showing 100%.

aDe
    Thanks Ade..... I think that makes my descision for me....

Name
    Adrian
    Last Online
    31-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2021 Mazda CX30

The FTO owners club have asked if we'd be interested in joining their group buy for Evoscan cables (if they get 25 buyers between the two clubs there's a bigger discount). See this thread:

http://www.ftooc.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=65319

Note these cables have the grounding already sorted within the plug so it's easier to get working than the Tactrix cable!

Any takers?

Cheers

aDe

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

£50 including postage and software? Sounds very interesting. What is the bigger discount? Do we sign up here or there?

Name
    Adrian
    Last Online
    31-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2021 Mazda CX30

Prices below (prices in £ based on Jan 24 exchange rate). There's 9 FTO members signed up for the group buy at the mo. I've PM'd the organiser about how to organise it between the clubs.

aDe

Limitless Design 1.4E USB OBDII DataLogger Cable Unit Price (USD) $69.00
    EvoScan and All Vehicles OBDII ISO 9141/9141-2 compatable.
    Qty: 5+ $64.00each =£32.5456
    10+ $59.00each =£29.9965
    25+ $55.00each =£27.9639

Limitless Design 1.3M USB OBDII Datalogger & ECU Reprogramming cable Unit Price (USD) $80.00
    EvoScan, OpenPort 1.3M, EcuFlash, and All Vehicles OBDII ISO 9141/9141-2 compatable.

Qty: 5+ $74.00each =£37.6187
    10+ $69.00each =£35.0766
    25+ $64.00each =£32.5456

Postage and Packaging Unit Price (USD) $5.00 =£2.54181
    Qty: 5+ $15 ($3.00 per cable)
    10+ $22 ($2.17 per cable)
    25+ $40 ($1.60 per cable)

Mitsubishi EvoScan DataLogger Software Unit Price (USD) $25.00
    Qty: 10+ $20.00each =£10.1685

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast