Last Online
    04-04-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    PFL Legnum

Few questions about EBC's, ECU and fuelling

Hi all,

Looking to carry on with some mild tuning for my wee beastie, I have got myself Tomasz's old FMIC which i'm hoping to put on when i have purchased the 2 reducers and manufactured the holding bracket. I also got Tomasz's old 7202 ECU with his map on and i need to speak to Ben to get it remapped from the one Tomasz had on it. Hopefully gonna make the open day to chat to ben about it all.

Once i have these on, the next stage will be an EBC, FPR and fuel pump. Is there a preferred order in getting these or does it not matter it just wont be at its best until these are all done and then sorted on a rolling road. So i want to start collating these parts, gets them installed and then take smokey Jo to Eurospec.

With the pump Tomasz has recommended Walbro but need to ensure its a genuine one which is no drama and i wont need to hard wire it. If i have read everything and understood it all correctly.

With Fuel Pressure Regulators there are loads on ebay ranging from £30ish upto SARD FPR's (these have quite a price range, is this again due to copies?). Is it a case of getting what you pay for or do they pretty much achieve the same thing?

The real drama i have at the moment and i'm guessing you know whats coming is with EBC's. I have read a fair bit and i just seem to be confusing myself and i'm not sure if its just my old brain mixing things up.

What i understand is that the ultimate solution is Map2ecu and that enables you to play with fuelling and it also controls boost, so one item controls both. Then the next step down is Greddy's system with the emanage ultimate with the E-01 EBC as they can work together to sort it all out. I cant seem to find out much about E-01 but i have read really good things about the Profec B Spec 2 but i dont know if this can be used with the Emanage ultimate.

Then while looking into the Greddy stuff in comes the curve ball with the AVCR EBC but other than people saying its very good no other reviews but is very expensive.

There is now a lot of these ebc's on ebay at affordable prices so i would rather buy once even if it means me saving up for a while to get the correct system. Ultimately i would love to get TD04's fitted and this would require the use of Map2ecu and such but that is probably a very long term project. The K+N, decat, back box, FPR, EBC, pump, FMIC and reflash ECU will probably be my tuning work done.

At the moment i'm very tempted to get the Profec B Spec 2 and then utilise the remapping of the stock ecu to cater for the rest, as i have read that the stock ecu is very good and alot of people got the EMU and Map2ecu before the reflashing was around.

Any information reagarding any of the above will be gratefully received as my old brain is aching with the info.

Cheers
    Marc

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

You are right about the piggyback ECUs being used more before stock ECU reflashing was cracked.

The car might overfuel with the Walbro and FPR before you tweak the fuelling, but it isn't the end of the world for a short period.

As to which exact things to buy, I can't help you much. It has been a long time since I had an EBC and I inherited my Walbro and my Sard FPR.

Name
    Tam
    Last Online
    04-04-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    PFL Legnum

Cheers Nick,

Do you not have an EBC?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

No. I have a 3 port solenoid that I am *attempting* to control via reflashing the ecu. It's a bit hit and miss! I also have a MAP2 so I can fall back onto that if need be. It's an expensive boost controller though!!

/edit - should say that the MAP2 is not currently on the car!

Name
    Tam
    Last Online
    04-04-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    PFL Legnum

Cool very cool, yeah they are a bit out my price range.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    No. I have a 3 port solenoid that I am *attempting* to control via reflashing the ecu. It's a bit hit and miss! I also have a MAP2 so I can fall back onto that if need be. It's an expensive boost controller though!!

/edit - should say that the MAP2 is not currently on the car!
    To map the 3 port solenoid, you need to zero all the correction values. The correction values are used to move the current load to the load target via boost control.
    So basically, the wastegate gets run at the initial wastgate duty cycle which is found by looking up the high octane/low octane duty cycle maps and doing interpolation based on octane rating.
    Once it is running the base wastegate duty, it checks the load error, then applies corrections to achieve the desired load target.

So, if your base duty cycle is rubbish, the corrections will cause the boost to be erratic and hard to determine. Best is to disable all correction, get the base duty cycle close (smooth out spikes, get boost / load close to what you want) and then put the correction stuff back.

I hope that helps

Name
    Anders
    Last Online
    23-10-2020
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR4-19T&Legnum

Have you also thought of this http://www.hallmanboostcontroller.com/ option
    It is a really good MBC that is easy to setup. It is not the common bleed type controller, no pressure will be passed to the wastegates before the threshold pressure is exceeded.
    My experience of this is much faster spool and good stable boost without overshoot

With stock turbos and injectors you don't need to change the FPR, not the fuel pump either if it is functioning properly.
    If you change the FPR go for something good; Aeromotive, SARD...

Name
    Tam
    Last Online
    04-04-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    PFL Legnum

hi Anders,

Cheers for that i will have a wee look into them. I'll keep a look out for a decent FPR in the future but will look into getting the pump first. As my pump is old and the yellow fuel light has stopped working so im probably going to have to get into the tank at some point.

Cheers
    Marc