Darren
    Last Online
    22-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FTO

Project FTO VR4

Thought it was about time I started a thread on where I have got to with my FTO VR4 project.

It started off a couple of days before xmas picking up a VR4 engine from a Mr Nick Mann ...

VR4 Install Pic 1.jpg

First thing was to give the block a clean down and degrease then change the cambelt, waterpump and pulleys ...

VR4 Install Pic 4.jpg

The battery on the FTO has to go to make way for all the additional piping so off to its new home in the boot ...

VR4 Install Pic 5.jpg

Take this puppy out of the engine bay ...
    VR4 Install Pic 8.jpg

And get left with a big old space to fill ...

VR4 Install Pic 9.jpg

Whilst the engine is out it makes sense to give the 20 year old bay a respray ...
    VR4 Install Pic 12.jpg

A few things needed for the conversion ...

VR4 Install Pic 17.jpg
    VR4 Install Pic 18.jpg
    VR4 Install Pic 20.jpg
    VR4 Install Pic 33.jpg
    VR4 Install Pic 41.jpg

Polished the fuel rail and thermostat housing assembly and fitted new red vac, boost and coolant hoses ...

VR4 Install Pic 24.jpg

The brake distribution block has to be relocated as it is right behind the rear turbo ...

VR4 Install Pic 26.jpg

One of the cosmetic touches. I hate polishing metal with a passion but its something that needs to be done if you want a shiny bay. First stage of polishing the plenum, removal of the casting marks ...

VR4 Install Pic 32.jpg

The VR4 block gets to meet its new home for the first time ...

VR4 Install Pic 27.jpg

Clearance for the rear turbo looks good as the bulkhead has been knocked back a touch ...

VR4 Install Pic 28.jpg

Cant say the same for the power steering pipes and rear turbo elbow though. The rear turbo elbow is going to have to be modified as its ridiculously close to the power steering rack. The original FTO power steering lines have no chance of being installed back here so custom braided hoses will need to be made up ...

VR4 Install Pic 29.jpg

The wastegate actuator has to be remounted and the rod bent. The clutch slave cylinder is in the way on the FTO gearbox so the actuator needs shifting over ...

VR4 Install Pic 30.jpg
    VR4 Install Pic 36.jpg

As shown in the above pic a bit more metal polishing has been performed ...

VR4 Install Pic 34.jpg

Next up was a pretty big job ...

VR4 Install Pic 42.jpg

The wiring on a FTO VR4 conversion is not much fun. I kept the GPX loom in there and just added the wires for the Boost and FPR Solenoids, removed a few uneeded wires for things like air-con, traction control, ABS, VR4 MAF wiring (im swapping to MAP using the Emanage Ultimate). I swapped a couple of wires round in the ECU connectors and also extended the cables for the IFS sensor. Its finished and looks a bit tidier now ...

VR4 Install Pic 43.jpg

Then it was engine out again in preperation for the custom braided power steering hoses i'm having made. In the meantime the gear selector cables have been heat-wrapped for protection from the rear turbo ...

VR4 Install Pic 46.jpg

The VR4 engine sits 10mm higher than the FTO engine in our bays so its either modifications needed to the bonnet or lower the engine a touch. I made a 6mm aluminium shim for the offside engine mount, for the nearside mount and the crossmember holding the gearbox mounts i'll be using spacer washers ...

VR4 Install Pic 48.jpg

The fuel filter on the FTO is also too close to the rear turbo for comfort so needs to be relocated. I'll be using stainless braided hose throughout for this little lot ...

VR4 Install Pic 49.jpg

Due to how tight the VR4 block is in the FTO engine bay it really needs the engine mounts stiffening to reduce movement. My mate runs an engineering shop and can knock me up some nylon mounts but i'm going to try this method first as it makes them firm but not 'nylon mount' firm .. using Polyurethane Sealant (Tiger Seal was my choice) to 'thoroughly' fill in the voids on the front and rear gearbox mounts. If I need them to be even stiffer I will get nylon jobbies made up instead but I think this should do the trick ...

VR4 Install Pic 44.jpg
    VR4 Install Pic 45.jpg

That is basically where I am up to. I have recently fitted a Fidanza lightened flywheel and am currently on with installing the intercooler + piping. I will also soon need to have my downpipes modified for the VR4 engine. After that the only thing I have left to buy is the twin air filters + pipework and a boost controller .. I'm going to choose an Apexi AVCR after reading good things about them on here.

I'll keep this thread updated and once I have the engine running and any gremlins ironed out i'll put details of the wiring up here to help folks doing this conversion in the future.
    Last edited by dazjb; 30-03-2015 at 08:38 PM.

Name
    Laszlo
    Last Online
    06-11-2021
    Country
    Other
    Car
    FTO 6A13TT

Nice job.

Name
    Laszlo
    Last Online
    06-11-2021
    Country
    Other
    Car
    FTO 6A13TT

I am a bit ahead and solved issues with power steering with converting to LHD and no ps, but eps.

Name
    Darren
    Last Online
    22-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FTO

He he, yep having a left hand drive car with electric power steering will make things easier for the VR4 conversion

What bhp and torque figures did you get after the conversion?

P.S Can people see the images on this thread? All I can see is the words "Attachment 71812", "Attachment 71813", etc.

Name
    Sean
    Last Online
    16-03-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR4

I can't see them on tapatalk

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I can't see them but I am on tapatalk as well

Bye for Now!

Name
    Darren
    Last Online
    22-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FTO

Re-uploaded them and they seem to be showing now

Name
    Laszlo
    Last Online
    06-11-2021
    Country
    Other
    Car
    FTO 6A13TT

Don't know about power figures yet, as it is being wired and getting a standalone.

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Very nice work there! Impressive.

Name
    stuart watterso
    Last Online
    16-06-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    fto/vr4 convers

hi I'm doing same got the engine in loom in also but ran into an issue with the fuse box and wiring it up how did you manage? Thanks for any help

Name
    Darren
    Last Online
    22-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FTO

I kept the FTO loom and just added and removed stuff where necessary .. didn't need to touch anything on the fusebox

Name
    Darren
    Last Online
    22-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FTO

IUpdate time .. I've got quite a bit done

The power steering hoses have been made up by Pirtek so they swing around the turbo elbow. These have now also been heat wrapped ...

VR4 Install Pic 54.jpg
    VR4 Install Pic 55.jpg

The air con fan has been butchered and brackets welded on so it can be shifted over on the rad (yeah I know my welding is sh!te .. but its done the trick). I'll be tidying it all up and spraying the fan shroud anyway ...

VR4 Install Pic 64.jpg

Braided fuel lines have been fitted ...

VR4 Install Pic 65.jpg

I have had 3mm milled off the plenum so its sits a touch lower as it was fouling the bonnet. With the engine lowered 6mm as well thats a 9mm drop ...

VR4 Install Pic 68.jpg

To make the ECU easier to mount I have used a VR4 ecu casing and welded the FTO bracket onto it. I should point out my engineer mate has done all this fancy milling and welding for me, i dont have these skills ...

VR4 Install Pic 67.jpg

The front turbo elbow has been cut, ground and welded to change the angle so its easier to connect to the ally boost piping ...

VR4 Install Pic 75.jpg

Rear turbo elbow has also had the same treatment to change the angle as it fouls the steering rack on the FTO ...

VR4 Install Pic 79.jpg

I spent a long time cutting and grinding down the bits of ally boost piping ...

VR4 Install Pic 60.jpg
    VR4 Install Pic 62.jpg

After which my engineer pal did a cracking job on welding it all up ...

VR4 Install Pic 76.jpg
    VR4 Install Pic 77.jpg

The intercooler size fitted is what a lot of you guys have 600x300x76. The piping is 64mm from the turbos to the intercooler and 70mm from the intercooler to the throttle body.

As can be seen above I have also got an engine cover courtesy of paulbonner84 on here and have butchered it to make it sit lower as this too fouls the FTO bonnet.

Finally I have the AVCR installed into the drivers visor ...

VR4 Install Pic 66.jpg

And thats where I'm at, a lot closer to the end of the tunnel now. Next on the list is wiring up the Emanage Ultimate ... another fun job!
    Last edited by dazjb; 01-05-2015 at 11:32 AM.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

This is looking very impressive! It takes a lot of time to do that much custom stuff and make it look good.

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Wow! That is looking sweeeeet! What an effort and how it shows. Excellent!

Name
    Darren
    Last Online
    22-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FTO

Thanks guys, it's been a lot of work but the results are worth it when you start seeing things put back together

Name
    Gareth
    Last Online
    04-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2001 Galant VR4

Beautiful. Got any pics of the finished article yet fella? Will look forward to the road review and dyno results.

Name
    Darren
    Last Online
    22-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FTO

Sorry for the delay in replying. Unfortunately its not finished yet, been a bit short on funds recently so theres been a few bits i've had to put on hold for a while ... but its nearly there.

Heres how the turbo elbow sits now with some space between it and the steering rack ...

VR4 Install Pic 80.jpg

The Emanage Ultimate has now been wired in ...

VR4 Install Pic 81.jpg

I have had the last two power steering hoses made up courtesy of Pirtek ...

VR4 Install Pic 82.jpg

VR4 Install Pic 83.jpg

The Apexi AVCR boost controller has been wired/plumbed in with the controller mounted into the drivers sun visor ...

VR4 Install Pic 84.jpg

I've also been busy fixing up a damaged VR4 engine cover and butchering it to fit under the FTO bonnet. The end result ...

VR4 Install Pic 86.jpg

I have also been cracking on with more cosmetic touches to the engine .. still been putting off polishing the plenum and front rocker cover. Been doing lots of plumbing in of the vac/boost lines that are needed. Theres a hell of a lot especially when you need extra plumbing for MAP sensor, boost solenoid, boost gauge, pressure sensor, FPR

Basically all I need to do now is buy and fit a MAP sensor for the Emanage Ultimate, two air filters, coolant temp sensor, two rocker gaskets, then fill up with coolant and power steering fluid and we are good to go. I'm just scraping the pennies together for this and then I can fire the old girl up and see what bits I've ballsed up

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

looking excellent! very nicely done, can't wait to see some video of the first fire-up and final product inside and out!

Name
    Darren
    Last Online
    22-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FTO

Time for an update.

I'm getting very close now. Rocker gaskets and coolant temp sensor fitted, the MAP sensor has been wired in, I have finished off the metal polishing and got all the lines tapped into the plenum.

Plenty of vac/boost connections on plenum ...

VR4 Install Pic 87.jpg

... and fitted, theres a lot going off back here now ...

VR4 Install Pic 89.jpg

A pic to show how tight things are at the front as well. The two ally pipes are just waiting for filters to be bolted to them ...

VR4 Install Pic 92.jpg

Bracket made and MAP sensor mounted ...

VR4 Install Pic 91.jpg

And a couple of pics to show all the finished cosmetic work ...

VR4 Install Pic 93.jpg

VR4 Install Pic 90.jpg

Basically all I have to do now is fit all the clamps for the coolant and boost hoses, fill the coolant and connect the temporary downpipes i've butchered and were good to go. I need two air filters but this doesnt stop me starting the car up, I'll just clamp a sock over each of the pipes to stop anything getting in there. By the end of this week i'll be turning the key!
    Last edited by dazjb; 13-08-2015 at 05:21 PM.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast