Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Overheating?

After idling for a while, or just crawling through traffic I've noticed that the temperature gauge starts to go up, it probably climbs to about 80% of the way up the gauge (assuming 50% is where the car normally runs at). Of course I turn the heater on full as soon as I see this, hopefully it isn't causing any real damage.

I've only seen it happen twice, and both of these were after I had the radiator swapped when the top tank of it burst. I've checked that both radiator fans are spinning, and that it is full of water, so I'm a little bit lost as to what the problem could be.

As soon as the car starts moving again above say 50kph, then the temperature drops straight down again.

Name
    Mohammed
    Last Online
    07-04-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom

has the system been bled?
    NO More VR4 for me, well ive still got the 6G

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

yes it has been.

This morning when I got to work the temp gauge was slightly above normal, I popped the bonnet and found that neither radiator fan was going, I left it for another minute or so, and neither fan came on at all, by this stage the temp gauge was at about the 75% level, before I chickened out and shut the car off. This is a little strange, because I know that the fans have been going, I could hear them a little bit further up the road this morning.

The only thing I could think of is a loose connection to power the fans, or maybe the fan controller itself is playing up

Name
    KiwiTT
    Last Online
    24-05-2018
    Membership ID
    NZ001
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    BMW 330i
    My Garage
    Visit

Take the car to Vercoe Radiators in Newmarket to have it checked. They did a good job on mine when it had to be replaced.

Is it still under warranty ?
    We work to live, and to live is to drive a VR-4, around corners at speed. But it costs see here

Last Online
    25-07-2007
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 Legnum VR4

maybe get a lower temp thermostat? maybe they've put the wrong one in

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

Could have ferked the temp sensor some how... Thats what controls the fans yes? Never really looked myself but thats my assupmtion

Name
    Bernard
    Last Online
    23-04-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Nissan Skyline

Does sound like a fan or controller problem - if it cools down when you get airflow across the rad (ie when moving at a decent speed), then it must be something to do with the fans. If you have a fiddle, you should be able to bypass the sensing circuit, and have the fans permanently on - try it and see if you still have the problem.
    ----
    Dr McCuckoo - Avatar Victim Extraordinare.

The KieranCorp Secret Service continues to viciously abuse and falsely accuse this innocent paragon of virtue. The distress has been so great that he no longer can continue his selfless charitable work with homeless children and abused sheep.

The Kierancorp Secret service is interested in hearing from anyone who has red hair, likes wearing a spook uniform, and enjoys nocturnal barbecues. Funny handshake optional.