Thread: bit of an update

Last Online
    12-11-2008
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 VR4 Manual

bit of an update - turbo upgrade

thought i would post these up, the reason why my car has been off the road now for about a month...

more to come

right - factory manifolds aren't going to work - going custom

2x

some of the bends i will use

jig's for the manifolds...
    front manifold - bottom mounted turbo.

rear manifold - top mounted turbo.

well, this is the first attempt...

first attempt at welding. omg i need to get better at this real quick!

right... well, i guess the only thing you car really say is that its not coming apart in a hurry!!!

ugly on the outside but i am quite happy with the way it turned out on the inside. and please dont give me any crap with the thing not being equal length, or not flowy enough - theres just not enough room for it.

this is the rear manifold for the top mount turbo - and yes - i still need more practise welding!

well - rear one bolted on in place. just where i wanted it too which is good!

no wastegate flange as yet...

some pics of the front. work from the weekend.

front.

okay - back... DONE :-D

its in - wrapped, all gasketed and torque'd... its funny how long it takes to do up 7 manifold nuts... everytime you do up one, all the others get loose again!

anyway - so its all oiled and watered, it might look a little funky - but it should work!

just got to put the screamer pipe on the wasty and then start on the front... not long to go now! :-D

one more - just with the added hose heat protection and the dumpy bolted on...

last pic below of the back before it went in the car.

some pics of the engine back in the car... i have photos of progress from the workshop. but took these after it got towed home this afternoon

(and yes... the radiator WITH fans is in as well )

right. so thats the front all assembled and ready to bolt on...

just waiting on my modified oil filter holder thingymajig now.

okay - modified oil filter bracket on the left - original on the right. 1 inch down, one inch to the left.

heres where it is now. just intercooler piping and finish of the exhaust to go.

Last edited by AllBeItMine; 30-01-2006 at 09:39 PM.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    20-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom

hmmmmmm.....diy hybrids?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    13-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!!

Let us know when you have the car running again, and I'll start asking!

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Hmmm... So, new manifolds and bigger compressor housings.... And no doubt more that I've not spotted. Those manifolds look interesting. The stock ones also surprise me..... I'm far from an epert on gasflow.... But they are not good - unequal runners and a odd shape too!

I look forward to reading more. Where are you having the work done? Is that a friend's garage or something?

Last Online
    12-11-2008
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 VR4 Manual

they are wrx turbos. TD04-13t's not hybrids but complete

the wrx turbos that are in NZ on our wrx's are obviously different to the ones you guys get in europe hence the big 90degree bend on the snout which i had to chop off.

those are the factory manifolds and for the space they use, flow ALOT better than anything i could make/get made for anything less than a grand each.

its a mates garage, pitstop newmarket but i am doing all the work myself... well, apart from the odd bit of engineering, like the adapter plates on the manifolds...

there are two serious issues at the moment...

the front engine mount on the cross member will need to go around or over the front turbo...

and the firewall will need to be boxed.

oil and water lines are next then i will do a dummy fit...

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    06-07-2014
    Country
    New Zealand

Are the WRX TD04's bigger than the TD04's off an evo?. What do you mean by the firewall will need to be boxed?. Also what are you gonna do bout the cross member?.

Last Online
    12-11-2008
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 VR4 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by TTV6VR4
    Are the WRX TD04's bigger than the TD04's off an evo?. What do you mean by the firewall will need to be boxed?. Also what are you gonna do bout the cross member?.

smaller than the TD05's that are on the early evos, bigger than the TD04-13'gs that are on a gsr.

but remember i have two of them... and one of these turbos can power a worked wrx into the 12's

the rear turbo protrudes about 6cm;s further out that the old TD03 use to and the clearance wasn't huge to begin with so i will need to cut a section of the firewall behind the turbo and box it in to give the turbo and heatsheilding some clearance.

the front engine mount will be handled by an engineer - will let you know how i go with that when it happens

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    06-07-2014
    Country
    New Zealand

Wouldn't it need like a cert then cause you have modified the firewall. How easy would it be to use TD05's then or is it pretty much impossible?. Good luck on your build I will be watching it on here and msport

Last Online
    12-11-2008
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 VR4 Manual

td05s would be too big. i will already be able to 'outtune' the car with these turbos.

they should support up around the 500-550hp mark and i aint going close to that.

the reason i chose the wrx turbos was mainly because of the exhaust flange design, its reasonably close, and when all rotated and bolted on - they should fit.

the TD03's are soo small, that pretty much any turbo you choose to upgrade is going to cause you problems like i have.

and as far as certing goes - i haven't really looked into it. i probably should have got a cert for my suspension, and brakes.. but it hasn't stung me so far.

i am more worried about insurrance to be honest - i don't think anyone will touch me after doing this. but ah well.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Hey ABIM, what times are you going to be there next week? I've been intending to bring my car in because the exhaust rattles a bit, I'll come past and look at your setup, it looks great, I think TD04's are in my future too Where did you get the turbos from?

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    02-03-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    600+ bhp FTO-VR

Quote Originally Posted by AllBeItMine
    td05s would be too big. i will already be able to 'outtune' the car with these turbos.

they should support up around the 500-550hp mark and i aint going close to that.

the reason i chose the wrx turbos was mainly because of the exhaust flange design, its reasonably close, and when all rotated and bolted on - they should fit.

the TD03's are soo small, that pretty much any turbo you choose to upgrade is going to cause you problems like i have.

and as far as certing goes - i haven't really looked into it. i probably should have got a cert for my suspension, and brakes.. but it hasn't stung me so far.

i am more worried about insurrance to be honest - i don't think anyone will touch me after doing this. but ah well.
    only 500-550, hmmm no use for me then.... still thinking GT35R as a christmas pressie for the car
    Richard Batty
    2.5ltr V6 Turbo FTO

Last Online
    12-11-2008
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 VR4 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by zentac
    only 500-550, hmmm no use for me then.... still thinking GT35R as a christmas pressie for the car

to be honest - i will be happy with anything over 200kw at the wheels that doesn't require a fuel system change.

the idea is to do the turbos, then get an aftermarket ECU and take it somewhere and tell them to tune it till it runs out of fuel.

after that i will look at it again.

200 honest kw's at the wheels with no-nos will keep me happy for a while

oh and (apart from the ECU which you will have to do anyway) my whole conversion will cost less and respond better than a big ball bearing single so seriously think again about the big garrett... there are easier ways.

Last Online
    12-11-2008
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 VR4 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by bradc
    Hey ABIM, what times are you going to be there next week? I've been intending to bring my car in because the exhaust rattles a bit, I'll come past and look at your setup, it looks great, I think TD04's are in my future too Where did you get the turbos from?

first thing you do before anything else - is buy another car.

i bought a mazda familar hatch back. 1500cc single cam 5speed. its been a life saver. once you have an alternate form of transport - then come talk to me about upgrading your turbos... its not a weekend job.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    20-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom

oh and (apart from the ECU which you will have to do anyway) my whole conversion will cost less and respond better than a big ball bearing single so seriously think again about the big garrett... there are easier ways.
    ??

I wouldn't be sure about that! Can pick nice ball bearing turbos up for $500US, cheap as chips! The actual conversion to single would be minimal in terms of other costs, the engine could stay in and I reckon I could do it in a weekend!

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

first thing you do before anything else - is buy another car.

i bought a mazda familar hatch back. 1500cc single cam 5speed. its been a life saver. once you have an alternate form of transport - then come talk to me about upgrading your turbos... its not a weekend job.
    Looks like an interesting job.. It's good to see members trying there OWN thing All these VR4's are individual and so are the people that own them... Good job too.. As we all wouldn't want to be driving around in identicle cars would we.. Or all think the same way about our MODS..
    Keep up the good work and all at your own pace..

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

I've got access to 2 spare cars, so no problem there

Name
    Val
    Last Online
    15-12-2018
    Country
    Russia
    Car
    VW Phaeton W12

Quote Originally Posted by zentac
    What CFM would a single GT35R make?
    Cause 2 TD04L-13T will each make 428CFM (rated at 2.0PR with a choke flow of 445CFM) = 856 CFM (890CFM) ... for a price of each at around 200$ = 400$ for both. How much is for a GT35R (830~940CFM)?

No need to make custom manifolds...
    Yes, you would need a new/altered front engine mount.
    Some hammering on the rear wall will get you enough clearance.
    Oil and coolant lines are not so hard to mod.
    Front fan from GTO/3000GT or something a bit slimmer than stock is required.
    Oil filter line has to be bended somewhat...

No changes in response... at least nothing noticeable.
    I still believe that for V shaped engines Twin Turbo setup yields better results for less money and effort...

AllBeItMine - good luck with your project! Hope to see some results, since my car won't be pushed now until Spring... too much snow and ice already...

... and one more thing.

You will have problems getting standard plastic intake pipes to feed your new turbos. Unless you will make something custom. I made separate intakes for MAP, but for now will be using this (ordered.... hope it fits...):

Dejon Tools intake runners to turbos (Look under "Intake Pipes for CIP-3SC kit - 115$

BTW compare this, to price tag of PROS Eng. intake runners (something over 2000$) and you will see why "restrictive plastic intake" is not a problem anymore for Twin Turbo setup (if you remember the talk of pros and cons of one setup vs. another a while ago)
    Last edited by valmes; 04-11-2005 at 01:27 PM.

Last Online
    12-11-2008
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 VR4 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by valmes

... and one more thing.

You will have problems getting standard plastic intake pipes to feed your new turbos. Unless you will make something custom. I made separate intakes for MAP, but for now will be using this (ordered.... hope it fits...):
    thanks for the info - i blame you blaintantly for insipiration to do this so its all your fault if it goes right!

and thanks for the intake link - i will probably butcher the standard intakes for the meantime as i will be running seperate air filters once the ECU is done

Last Online
    12-11-2008
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 VR4 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaveakers
    ??

I wouldn't be sure about that! Can pick nice ball bearing turbos up for $500US, cheap as chips! The actual conversion to single would be minimal in terms of other costs, the engine could stay in and I reckon I could do it in a weekend!
    $2500-3000 for a new GT35R in new zealand
    $1500-2000 for the manifolds which would be around $750-1000 each
    $$$ intake modifications for the throttle body to be placed on the other side.
    $$$ intercooler piping

so far everything you see in the pics above owes me $361 nzd

i think technically the big single would be easier. but the engine would still come out. it wouldn't be worth ruining your back playing with the rear bank.

performance wise its hard to tell, the big turbo would be very remote but being ball bearing it would respond well, these turbos Valmes and I are using are well sized for the engine and very close for good response. Everybody i talk to tells me to stick with twin turbos on a V.

Last Online
    12-11-2008
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 VR4 Manual

found this. looks like somebody else down here tried similar thing to me... looks like they got it wrong though? can anybody see the obvious problems...

doesn't stop it looking good though!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast