James Donnelly
    Last Online
    16-02-2020
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Passat

wheel bearings??

need to replace my front wheel bearings. i know the hub and the bearing from mitsi are 180 quid, is there any way in just replacing the bearings themselves?? replaced the driveshaft/cv joint/hub carrier no that long ago, as the hub carrier had seized to the cv joint. so replaceing the hub and bearings isnt goin to be a problem, just if i could get the bearings themselves it would be a lot cheaper???
    "MADE TO BE DRIVEN"

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Have a wee looky at this, any use?
    SUPPORT CLUBVR-4 TODAY!
    Please do not PM Moderators and Committee Directly, for quicker response times please follow this guide
    HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

My Articles: Fog Light in Rear Cluster - Changing AYC Switch - Changing Drive Shaft - Changing Front suspension
    My Projects: Installing Uprated Clutch - making Gauge Pods (Tri-pod)
    Club Related: HOW TO Guides - HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators
    RIP: Type-S - 1998 R - Trigger Mauve - Mauve History | First VR4 - Second VR4 - Third VR4

Profile for BraindG
    Get your own fuel sig in the Garage (Members Only) - Visit my Garage ........What Is Geocaching?

Name
    James Donnelly
    Last Online
    16-02-2020
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Passat

This looks tricky???

got the bearings 2 day. 23 quid plus vat . my mate helps me with the work i do on the car (well he actually does it) and he's an aircraft mechanic, took one look at the bearings and his first words were HOLY S**T there big bearings and laughed then went hmmmmmmm. If all goes well on wed i shall post up a how 2, see if that helps you guys out in the future.... fingers crossed!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Excellent.. keep us posted on how it goes!

Name
    James Donnelly
    Last Online
    16-02-2020
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Passat

read the caution on 26-5 lol

surely if there are bearings alone then this can be done. ah well guinea pig Dunly ha ha
    Last edited by BraindG; 22-05-2006 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Edited URL from members section

Name
    Paul Beazer
    Last Online
    27-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V50

Interesting Dunly, keep us informed as i think my n/s front may be going....
    No longer empty and frantic...

Name
    James Donnelly
    Last Online
    16-02-2020
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Passat

all shall be revealed the moro. shall be taking plenty of pics......

Name
    James Donnelly
    Last Online
    16-02-2020
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Passat

not as i had hoped

well didnt go quite to plan. got the hub assembley off with reasonable ease after purchasing a ball joint removal tool (makes life so much easier). sat it on the bench then took the 4 bolts out that hold the hub onto the assembly. took 1 look at it and thought no way are they coming out. (unless u have a big press, we didnt) so took it to my mechanic with the new bearings and said come back later. 1 hour later got a phone call saying it was the wrong bearings the motor factors gave us (fff-*****-*--*&^%$k). (will do a post with details and pics 2moro as its hard to explain wihtout them) so getting the correct bearings the moro and hopefully get it sorted. in the meantime my car is at my mates on a jack hubless. The conclusion will finish tomorrow fingers crossed.

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

- Fingers crossed for today.

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Yeah good luck mate

Name
    James Donnelly
    Last Online
    16-02-2020
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Passat

All done

well thats it all sorted now. what u need to do is remove Knuckle from the car, loosen all lower arms, steering arm, hub bolt, brake caliper etc. once this is off, remove the 4 bolts that hold the front hub assembly to the knuckle then press the front hub assembly out of the knuckle, then replace the new bearings and the hub (took this to my mechanic to do as i never had a press) would prob suggest you take it to a mechanic unless you guys have got the exact tools to press it out. once this is in, just replace the knuckle attach all lower arms and thats yous done. see the pics, the shiny bit is the new bit and has the bearings inside, no idea what it is called. hope this vague description has helped. the pics below may help.

part number BK633 from TMS motor spares 45 + vat 52.88

Name
    James Donnelly
    Last Online
    16-02-2020
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Passat

pics

pics!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by DUNLY
    (took this to my mechanic to do as i never had a press) would prob suggest you take it to a mechanic unless you guys have got the exact tools to press it out. once this is in
    Barrys tip o the day.

Undo all 4 bolts a bit, untill the ends are flush with the.. err outside of car side of the hub.. then hit the bolt heads on the inside of the hub, one by one all the way around. So, one hit, then next bolt, then onto next, just keep going round incircles untill its loose. Undo each bolt a bit more depending on how well your getting on.. . Once its far enough out, just get someone to pry it out from the outside side of the hub.. (hope that makes sense )

Glad youvegot it sorted, your suspension looks so clean.. mines a right old state!

Name
    Paul Beazer
    Last Online
    27-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V50

Thanks for the tip Barry, wish i'd known about this when i did mine, over an hour of swearing to get the bl@@dy hub carrier off!

Name
    James Donnelly
    Last Online
    16-02-2020
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Passat

nice tip barry , shall keep that in mind. yip all seems to be sorted cheers, still getting a slight groan, think the back 1's might be on there way out, or maybe im just paranoid as im so use to the groan. clean suspension, well the lower arms got replaced a few months ago and thats the second time this year all that guff has been taken out, so all the crap must be still on ma jeans . nxt week seats are coming out and inside is getting gutted.

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4 coming soon

Hi

Just done the NS front bearing on mine this weekend...well my best mate did. Got the bearing on the account at where he works £59.99 same day delivery, think it was genuine Mitsi too...high five!

I thought it was going a month back with the Wo Wo Wo Wo sounds. But last Thursday it started doing the crunch clunk crack which I thought was seriously bad news. I was local to home so not too much of a problem. Crawled at 20mph to his garage to let the games commence.

Needed plently of big hammer stuff, and he didn't have a press available. Hardest bit was getting the wheel assembly off the shot bearing. Put 4 bolts in the other way around to slowly push it off the bearing, which worked a treat without the press. Part of the bearing stayed on the wheel assembly though that needed a bit of work with a chisel and hammer.

Took about 1 hour all together, but my mate does make it look easy. Now I just owe him a few beers! Now the wheels feel nice and free, and I think my brake wobble was down to this, and not battering the new EVO9 discs too hard