PDA

View Full Version : Evo VII Wheels

bernmc
18-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Some pics of the hearse with its new feet - std 17" rims from an EVO VII. I wasn't sure when I first saw them on, but they've grown on me, and they're a lot cheaper than the compomotives i'd like :(. Car does look more agressive with them on as the huge offset makes them poke out of the unextended pre-facelift arches a bit - tried to show this in the pic from the rear below.

Pics aren't the best quality - taken in a hurry on a very bright day. They're silver, not white!

1st pic is the old 16's for comparison.

d3x
18-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Some pics of the hearse with its new feet - std 17" rims from an EVO VII.

lookin good mate! I think they look better here than on the evo... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

WildCards
18-07-2005, 03:50 PM
lookin good mate! I think they look better here than on the evo... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Definately. Looking good. :thumbsup:

pezza
18-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Top job Bern....

I think they look superb.. yummm :thumbsup:

I Guess they are 17x8's?

Be careful parking!!! /yes Those coupla inches make all the difference.. so I've been told :embarasse

Am trying to convince my pal with FQ340 to sell me his standard wheels...wish me luck! /help

Nick Mann
18-07-2005, 05:01 PM
/pan /wall :veryangry /duh /whip :bigcry: :furious3: :shocked: :sick:

BOOOOOGAAAHHHHH!!!

Nice choice, Bern. :embarasse

Just bought some myself - hoping to put them on for JAE. Beaten to it by a couple of days!! LOL!!

Bet they look better on mine than yours!! ;) :p

bernmc
18-07-2005, 05:04 PM
BOOOOOGAAAHHHHH!!!

Nice choice, Bern. :embarasse

Just bought some myself - hoping to put them on for JAE. Beaten to it by a couple of days!! LOL!!

Bet they look better on mine than yours!! ;) :p

Pa. Not unless you've been bitten by the Very Anal Maguiars bug like me :o

richy rich
18-07-2005, 05:35 PM
looks good mate

paulmc
18-07-2005, 05:56 PM
:thumbsup:

venomboy
18-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Man. that is some shine you got on that paintwork! :sunny:

AllBeItMine
18-07-2005, 10:03 PM
i did the same thing with evo6 wheels.

i think the offset is PERFECT for the legnum/galant and the fact that they make the track wider and the tyres themselves are also wider really helps the handling.

looking good dude. and those eagle GSD3's won't let you down either. great tyres...

bernmc
19-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Man. that is some shine you got on that paintwork! :sunny:

I have followed in the Way Of Kieran. Unfortunately I was in too much of a hurry and applied some of Meguiars Finest Products when the weather was too hot, so the finish is less than perfect :embarasse - I did my wife's Hyundai Coupe the day before when conditions were ideal, and hers looks like a new car /grr.

I'm going to have to redo mine in some cooler weather. Only took me 10 hours per car :o:o - and that was just the outside & windows!

Brunty
19-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Lookin' good Bern :thumbsup:

Were those advertised on EBay - as I was really tempted by a set myself?

bernmc
19-07-2005, 10:36 PM
Lookin' good Bern :thumbsup:

Were those advertised on EBay - as I was really tempted by a set myself?

Na - I posted in the 'wanted' section of MLR and had them within a week. Rims only - no tyres (don't trust other people's used rubber :o!!!).

bradc
20-07-2005, 08:46 PM
I saw those pictures of your car bernmc and decided I wanted some, so I placed a post in a local mitsi club, and got 3 pm's within an hour, I'm going to look at some a little bit later on in the week.

bernmc
24-07-2005, 10:00 PM
I saw those pictures of your car bernmc and decided I wanted some, so I placed a post in a local mitsi club, and got 3 pm's within an hour, I'm going to look at some a little bit later on in the week.

You are clearly a man of great taste ;). Let us know how you get on.

Kenneth
24-07-2005, 10:03 PM

If you get some, you wanna swap one of your standard alloys with me?
lol I put a slight buckle in one of mine :P

Nick Mann
25-07-2005, 07:51 AM
I put mine on last friday, and I am well chuffed!

Looks are much better. Tyres are 235/45/17 Falken FK451's. This means the speedo will be slightly out in the favour of the coppers, but the wheel fills the arches a little better. No rubbing yet, but the clearances are not huge! A different offset could destroy the rear arches!

Initially handling feels better. I have not really had a chance to push the car yet, but the medium speed corners can be taken with much more confidence. I think this is due to less side wall movement rather than the extra 10mm on the rubber width.

First impressions all round are good! Recommended, but don't buy the VII wheel if you live within a few hundred miles of me! Otherwise that design will become common!!

Brunty
25-07-2005, 09:34 AM
First impressions all round are good! Recommended, but don't buy the VII wheel if you live within a few hundred miles of me! Otherwise that design will become common!!

Oh come on Nick, that would be so cool - you could have the blue facelift estate with beige leather and EVO wheels - and I could have the same on a saloon. We could even park side by side at events :thumbsup:

Nick Mann
25-07-2005, 10:23 AM
:uhoh2: :uhoh:

I have a stalker!

/help

Brunty
25-07-2005, 10:43 AM
:curtain:

pezza
25-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Nick they certainly do look good mate .... :chugchug:

The extra width of tyres are noticeable as I got to follow you onto the A1 for far too long :embarasse And the extra inch on the wheels is noticeable as there is not much of a shadow on the top of the wheels cast by those wheel arch extensions...

I can see there is a slight negative camber on wheels tho? :inquisiti

Bern do you notice the same on yours?

Not noticed this on VR4 before or has the suspension been tampered with? :inquisiti (slightly OT is the periodic puff of smoke I guess after lifting off the gas /help )

Brunty get yerself a set of those wheels... They look spot on :thumbsup:

bradc
25-07-2005, 12:05 PM
look at what I've got!!!!!!!

For NZ$500 I couldn't have done better. They are in almost perfect condition, apart from a small chip in one of them. I will get all that taken out first before I fit them to the car.

Kenneth, I'll let you know once I get them fitted, It will be when you're in England, so remind me when you get back ok. I'm getting my car repaired this week, then it is going into pitstop to get headers, decat, exhaust, and springs. Then after all that I will have the new mags fitted.

In regards to the speedo, according to http://www.tyretraders.com/tyrecalc.html you are hardly affected. At 60mph speedo reading, you will be going at 61.13mph, nothing to worry about.

Nick Mann
25-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Nick they certainly do look good mate .... :chugchug:

Not noticed this on VR4 before or has the suspension been tampered with? :inquisiti (slightly OT is the periodic puff of smoke I guess after lifting off the gas /help )

Brunty get yerself a set of those wheels... They look spot on :thumbsup:

Cheers! :smug:

I think this is normal? :embarasse

AFAIK the suspension is standard. Peter lowered the car, didn't like it so put it back I believe. The puff I think is the car running slightly rich. It needs setting up, which should be sorted on wednesday. :thumbsup:

Don't tell him that! :p

bernmc
25-07-2005, 08:42 PM

Bern do you notice the same on yours?

mmm. might be a slight camber... not very noticable though - I'll have another peep in daylight. I've recently had my geometry done by Xtreme Prices, so it should be 'standard'.

Edit: Just checked my invoice for the geometry results:

Front 2mm toe in/right camber 15 minutes negative / Left 30 minutes negative
Rear toe parallel / camber 1 degree 45 minutes both sides.

there you go then. Sharp eyes Mr P! :inquisiti

dickytim
15-12-2005, 09:28 AM
Haha, I scored big, got a set for $420 with tyres that should see me thru the next two warrants, will be fitting them tomorrow, BTW Kenny yeah I'll swap for your standard rims, including your near new GD3's :P

pezza
15-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Really do like these wheels. Suit the car perfectly...

NickM and Bern (and anyone else who have them) How have you found the tyre wear
with these wheels?

What part of suspension apart from bushes are likely to cause uneven tyre wear? I am getting wear on the inside shoulder of nearside front wheel. I have had the tracking checked but wondering if this is bush related? :inquisiti

Nick Mann
15-12-2005, 10:37 AM
Both of my inside fronts have worn excessively. I had the tracking set when I put the wheels on and then had it checked when the wear became obvious. The tracking was still fine, I was told. Not knowing what to do then, I went for a 4 wheel alignment at a different garage, explaining what had happened so far. The guy told me afterwards that the tracking was within manufacturer tolerances, but only just, with both whels toeing out slightly. He reset the front wheels to what he considered was a better place for them to be. He could find nothing else wrong with the alignment and setup. In a couple of months I'll be able to tell you whether this has solved the problem or not!!

pezza
15-12-2005, 10:45 AM
Cheers Nick good luck with the new setup. Hopefully the new settings will ease the problem...

So what have you done, swapped tyres around the car?

Did you manage to spot any excessive wear on the factory rims you had before?

I wondered if I had issues due to 235 tyres but I had the same issue with the 225 tyres beforehand. Have you had front end suspension/bushes checked?

Nick Mann
15-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Cheers Nick good luck with the new setup. Hopefully the new settings will ease the problem... ? So do I! :rolleyes4

So what have you done, swapped tyres around the car?? Yes. The inside edge of the fronts that was worn has now become the outside rear edge. I think that is the edge which gets least wear.

Did you manage to spot any excessive wear on the factory rims you had before?? There was some. That's why I had the tracking checked in the first place. Having said that, the problem appears to be worse on 235 wide rubber than it was on 225. I guess this could be that the tracking was made worse instead of better when I put the E7 wheels on.

I wondered if I had issues due to 235 tyres but I had the same issue with the 225 tyres beforehand. Have you had front end suspension/bushes checked? Nope. And looking on the recall website that is one thing that my car comes up with as still requiring. So I will be phoning my mitsy garage in the near future too.