PDA

View Full Version : Basic Info

BraindG
21-08-2003, 09:22 AM
Guys,

there seem to be allot of repeat questions being asked by new forum members.
This information should be accessible from the articles section, however ive fallen behind on retrieving this information from the forums, and posting it up on under the articles section INSERT INTO post VALUES (/glares at mod's)

So, could I ask for your opinion on the following..

What are the most common questions being asked? the ones you see most often.. e.g. "what MPG do you get"
Basically the information people need to know, either before buying a vr-4 or indeed once they have their car, servicing costs, fuel to use, oils to use INSERT INTO post VALUES (ayc/engine) etc etc...

I understand you don't have to help me/us out - and your prolly thinking f*INSERT INTO post VALUES (&& off do it yourself - but if you can think of things off the top of your head that "newbies" need to know, I would greatly appreciate a reply.

thanks
Barry

Nick VR4
21-08-2003, 09:31 AM
heres a few off the top of the head

Insurance
MPG
Servicing costs
Servicing intervals

Kieran
21-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Hi Barry,

I'd suggest these:

Parts:
Prices for common things like oil, discs, filters, belts, etc.
Where to get parts from
Who to contact on the forum for parts
What will fit INSERT INTO post VALUES (ie: will the discs from Lancer EVOs fit?)

The cars:
Where to buy them from
What to look for INSERT INTO post VALUES (a buyers guide)
Common faults and step-by steps on how to sort them INSERT INTO post VALUES (such as lash adjusters).
Alternatives if you can't afford a VR-4:) INSERT INTO post VALUES (customisation, buying a 2.5 Sport, etc)

Thery're some of the more common ones. If you're doing articles, then maybe also consider these?

A VR-4 History
History of the Galant

Ultra VR-4
21-08-2003, 09:44 PM
hey braing,

why not post up a full manual for the vr4 in english?
that is if you have one...

:cool:

Brind
21-08-2003, 10:17 PM
INSERT INTO post VALUES (/glares at mod's)
/glares at Pete :nono: ;) :D

25mpg is possible, 7mpg is also possible.

1998 Shape changed slightly, this includes front bumper now with twin spots either side, aggressive look, rear lights are different, interior is updated.

'Sport Models' come with Carbon Fibre INSERT INTO post VALUES (lookalike) centre consoles, MOMO Steering Wheels with airbag, Recaro Seats and matching trim., extended wheel arches.

£600 to £1500 is average insurance costs.

jtfleming
21-08-2003, 11:11 PM
I agree with Ultra. A few basic maintaince items also would be good for those with little mechanical knowledge.:Ponder:

KiwiTT
02-09-2003, 10:07 PM
This is the most important to most people. Anyone who owns a VR-4 and is on this site, will be interested to maintain their dream car.:)

Most will gladly pay, insurance, fuel costs, etc. as this does not stop the vehicle. It is only real pleasure when it is moving well.

Reliability of components, and what to watch for would also be a good article.

EdmundVR4
02-09-2003, 11:23 PM
How about information on staged upgrades, maybe some of the more experienced members could make suggestions, in proper sequence. See below for staged upgrades for the GTO or 3000GT VR4 from
http://www.3si.org/pages/stagedpower.html

Staged Upgrades: 3000GT VR-4 and Stealth TT
Everyone has different tastes and preferences. This list is by no means a definative source. The greatest caveat is that evry car is different and results will vary. Also some of the parts mentioned may be for off-raod use only in your state.This is only a general guideline. Some components mentioned here may be substituted or left off depending on personal preference and perfomance interests.

Aproximate HP Gains
Stage 1: Tune Up and Performance Prep
The first thing you want to do before adding more power is to go to a reputable shop that can give you a complete tune-up. Install a set of Magnecor KV85 8.5mm plug wires and a nice set of NGK plugs. Also make sure that your stock fuel injectors are cleaned and balanced. If your car is approaching 60K miles, please have your timing belt replaced if you haven't already done so. With these done, you are now on your way to making more power, safely.

NA
Stage 2: Intake
What you want to do here is to improve the flow of air through the engine. The stock airbox is very restrictive. Replacing that with a open element intake like the K&N or HKS Power Flow helps the engine breath better by allowing more air in to the engine.

6-8
Stage 3: Exhaust
Likewise the exhaust will also improve the flow of air through the engine. The stock exhaust from Mitsubishi uses small piping that are bent in a lot of places, restricting flow. It is recommend you go with a larger diameter and mandrel bent exhaust.

8-12
Stage 4: Boost Controller and Boost Gauge
Once you have opened up the air flow with the intake and exhaust, it is now time to turn up the boost! By installing a boost controller, you can take advantage of what you've done in stages 1 and 2. This also allows you to put the factory turbo to full use. The stock boost on the '91-'93 cars were set at around 9 psi, and the '94 and newer cars are factory set at 12 psi. With a boost controller, you can now safely turn the boost up to 14 psi on both generation models. At this time, it is extremely important to install a aftermarket boost gauge. The stock gauge is highly inaccurate! The boost gauge is both a safety precaution and a great diagnostic tool. This allows you to make sure that your car is not over-boosting or under-boosting. Also do not boost past 14psi with stock fuel injectors. Even if everything "feels" ok.
You will knock and approach fuel cut. Fuel cut has a very high percentage of breaking a piston and or a valve. After 14lbs of boost a stock turbo system is just dumping in a lot of hot air. Resist the urge to turn it up. Do not overboost!

30-50
Stage 5: High-Flow Cat
Installing a street-legal high flow cat is the next step.

Stage 6: Downpipe
After you turn up the boost, it is now time to free up the exhaust some more. The downpipes that comes from the factory is INSERT INTO post VALUES (what else?) very restrictive, not to mention heavy. By installing an aftermarket downpipe, you will notice a weight savings of approximately 10 pounds.

Going past stage 6? Now your starting to get serious!
Consult with your favorite 3S tuner for combinations, brands, etc. It is also important that you have moved up to stage 4 on the performance chart by this time.

Stage 7 upgrades have been considered best to get all at the same time.

Stage 7.1: Fuel Pump
You will need a unit capable of much greater flow. Yes your gas mileage will start to drop with Stage 7.

25-35+
Stage 7.2: Fuel Injectors
Most people move up to the 550cc flavor. These are a large move over the stock 360cc injectors. Some people will use the 450cc injectors out of the turbo eclipses and some people go all the way up to the 720cc models for real tranny busting power.

Stage 7.3: Air/Fuel ratio controller
There are several to choose from. This will control the extra fuel you will be dumping in. Also getting a Air/ Fuel ratio gauge is a good idea. There are units that range from $300 to $1,500. So be sure to research the one that will perform to the level you will need.

Stage 8: Larger Turbos
Now after stage 7 you are ready for a turbo upgrade. The two most common upgrades are to the 13g and the 15g turbos. These two units just bolt on and will provide a large power gain.

13g - 40
15g - 80

Stage 9: Intercoolers
Now after your turbo upgrade. You need to get the air charge temperature down. The amount of power is proportionate to the intercooler size and turbo size.

20-40+
Stage 10: Ingnition
You most likely will need to supply a hotter spark to ignite the increased fuel and air mix.

2-4
Stage 11: Underdrive Pulley and Aluminum Flywheel
These are two controversial upgrades. Most tuners recommend you balance your crank in order to safely and effectively use these two mods. On the other hand several guys have put them on without balancing their engine and have had no problems. Just be sure to research this one for yourself.

15-20
Going past stage 11? Now your obsessed!
Consult with your favorite 3S tuner for combinations, brands, etc. It is also important that you have moved up to stage 8 on the performance chart by this time.

Stage 12: Port heads, intake, and exhaust manifolds.
The Factory intake and headsare actaully very nice out of the factory. They could use some improvement when you to want to build more than 550 or so horse power. The stock exhaust manifolds could use some work at just about any stage.

10-40
Stage 13: Forged Pistons and Rods
Forged Pistons will allow you to safely run much higher boost. Plus while tuning and you hit detonation you piston will have a much higher chance of not sustaining damage.

Forged Rods will let you really pound on the crankshart with out warping, bending or breaking. At lease compared to the stock rods.

Allows higher boost
Stage 14: Heat Treatments
You can have your Pistons, Valves, Turbos, Exhaust pipes all coated wit a space age ceramic coating. This coating will reduce air flow temps. Lower temps allows for more boost!

Allows higher boost

jtfleming
02-09-2003, 11:36 PM
Bloody Hell, have to remorgage the house to pay for all that!!!:Eek1: :thumb1:

SGHOM
02-09-2003, 11:48 PM
do you think £300 should about cover it then ??

Brind
03-09-2003, 12:16 AM
That's great info Edmund. :)

do you think £300 should about cover it then ??
If you find somewhere that can do all that for that tell us! :D

SGHOM
03-09-2003, 12:21 AM
who's nicked my SA flag ?? & who posted "getting on a bit " under my name ?? I'm only 55 !! I dont want to go in a home! & my moustache doesn't scare the kids does it ??

Brind
03-09-2003, 12:30 AM
LOL!

"getting on a bit "
I posted a thread saying the same thing when I was awarded that title, you get different titles to reflect how much you have posted.
I changed mine just after and then I became a mod so I have that title now.
You can change it via your profile, no one is taking the p*ss honest. lol :)

Barry removed the other flags because he is a spoil sport. :INSERT INTO post VALUES ( ;) plus it was defeating the object.. I liked my Iraqi flag too. :D

SGHOM
03-09-2003, 07:40 PM
I spend as much time as poss in South Africa, so can I claim dual nationality, & have two flags ??:D :D

BraindG
06-09-2003, 05:53 PM
OK guys..
In an attempt to make Club VR4 the ultimate resource for the 8g VR4 I have included a link on each post entitled

"Candidate for article/info?"

if you find some info that is relevant to anything 8g VR4 and is not listed under the articles section . please click on that link, add a quick reason and click send.. it will take 15 seconds out of your life..

for example..
under the articles section, if you cant find any info relating to disc size.. but you have just read a post about it.. quickly click on link, say "hey barry found this you might want to add it to the articles section" click send. and a second later ill have the mail and can action accordingly..

Its not that im a lazy arse, but i am however a busy arse.. and any help would be so appreciated i cant begin to find the words to tell you how much I would appreciated it..

as i said, ive just made it 100 times easier for the Clubvr4 community to assist in making this site the ultimate..

thanks for your time, your suggestion within this post are already been noted, and actioned accordingly..

watch this space..

thanks again
Barry

KiwiTT
30-10-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by interlec
... who posted "getting on a bit " under my name ??

I thought someone modified mine, so paranoid me changed my password.