PDA

View Full Version : Boost settings - KPA & General EVC Question

BraindG
19-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Ive been setting up my boost controller... finally, after having engine in for over a year now :embarasse

Its a HKS EVC5 and its readings are in KPA..
Im a bit dumb at this, so i just need some reassurance that ive done it right!..

K, here goes...

I want settings A to be 12 PSI and B 14PSI (with off being standard, i think :inquisiti )
Facts - 1PSI = 0.069 BAR and 6.89 KPA...

So,

12psi x 0.069bar = 0.828BAR which = 82.68KPA, currently my boost is at about 70 KPA...

14psi x 0.069bar = 0.969BAR which = 96.46KPA, currently its at 87KPA (ish).

Does this sound about right? i know my maths are right, but i just mean boost levels in general... I had the option, infact i still do, to go for what i used to have 0.7(10psi/70kpa, give or take) and 0.9 (13psi/90kpa, give or take).

question regarding the EVC5, does anyone know what on earth the other screens are, other than the boost levels and the alert screen? there are a couple other screens but ive no idea what they do... one looks like some form of count down screen? the other, ive no idea about.. the instructions from HKS site don't say...

Cheers.
Barry

Nick Mann
19-07-2005, 09:46 PM
The EVC4 has a timed overboost function. I haven't used it, but could that be the timed screen?

BraindG
19-07-2005, 11:07 PM
The EVC4 has a timed overboost function. I haven't used it, but could that be the timed screen?
Hmmm, what does that do then? it might be that, but... well i really don't know.

Nick Mann
20-07-2005, 09:23 AM
To be honest, I'm not sure I understand it. I certainly haven't used it!

I think you press a button which increases the boost setting for a set period. eg, You are running .8 bar and you want to beat something extra special off the lights. You press the button and then have 30s of increased boost, say 1.0 bar, and then the controller reverts back to its previous settings.

enigma
20-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Otherwise known as scramble boost!

Or if you are in to Knight Rider its the big red button that makes everything go blurry (shortly before leaving a trail of oil and engine bits behind)

BraindG
20-07-2005, 11:21 AM
Which reminds me :)

I was round at zedy's sorting somethings out, while there we plumbed in my boost controller.
Once it was set-up I turned the volumes down to zero, ready to set the boost levels. We set off to some back roads. As you do i put the pedal half way down and the car just shot off, with the turbos spooling so loud you'd think they were next to you.. suffice to say i shat my pants and eased off.. We discussed the weirdness keeping in mind the boost levels are as low as they can go. Anyways, we tried again, this time in 3rd gear, turbos start spooling and the car the lifts ever so slightly and shoots off like theres no tomorrow, then BANG, glug, splutter, splutter and the cars dies.

We roll off at the next junction and roll up under a streetlamp. 10mm, and screw driver in hand we lift the bonnet to find the pipework blow off the throttlebody.. with one vital part missing, the rubber seal! ****e, so wouter walks off back to junction in an attempt to locate the rubber, before Zedy shouts and says he found it at the back of the engine bay.. phew!

Between the two "tests" wouter mentioned that we may have the pipe work the wrong way around. So when we though we were at min boost, we were infact at max! lol... So, we changed the boost pipework, and off we went, boost levels still set to min, and finally it felt more standard.

Another rather eventful evening :)

enigma
20-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Which reminds me :)

I was round at zedy's sorting somethings out, while there we plumbed in my boost controller.
Once it was set-up I turned the volumes down to zero, ready to set the boost levels. We set off to some back roads. As you do i put the pedal half way down and the car just shot off, with the turbos spooling so loud you'd think they were next to you.. suffice to say i shat my pants and eased off.. We discussed the weirdness keeping in mind the boost levels are as low as they can go. Anyways, we tried again, this time in 3rd gear, turbos start spooling and the car the lifts ever so slightly and shoots off like theres no tomorrow, then BANG, glug, splutter, splutter and the cars dies.

We roll off at the next junction and roll up under a streetlamp. 10mm, and screw driver in hand we lift the bonnet to find the pipework blow off the throttlebody.. with one vital part missing, the rubber seal! ****e, so wouter walks off back to junction in an attempt to locate the rubber, before Zedy shouts and says he found it at the back of the engine bay.. phew!

Between the two "tests" wouter mentioned that we may have the pipe work the wrong way around. So when we though we were at min boost, we were infact at max! lol... So, we changed the boost pipework, and off we went, boost levels still set to min, and finally it felt more standard.

You were lucky, this has seen expiry of a certain persons engine, and a close call with another.

paulmc
20-07-2005, 11:40 AM
glad you got it fixed quickly, as Dave says could have been expensive

Wouter
20-07-2005, 11:44 AM

Lot's of fun tho!! :thumbsup: /haz

BraindG
20-07-2005, 11:51 AM
You were lucky, this has seen expiry of a certain persons engine, and a close call with another.
Which is why im double checking that my boost settings are correct.. can someone please confirm?! :thumbsup:

BraindG
26-07-2005, 07:56 AM
Im assuming no-one knows :embarasse

I read through the recent posts regarding Boost spiking (pezzas, which was also linked to Daves chart thread)

I noticed that when i have setting B, which is set for 90kpa, it spike right up to 103kpa dropped a bit and settled at 90ish. /help

I am assuming there is not much i can do unless i get one of the smarted boost controllers where you can fiddle with the settings, and fine tune them?

pezza
26-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Im assuming no-one knows :embarasse

I read through the recent posts regarding Boost spiking (pezzas, which was also linked to Daves chart thread)

I noticed that when i have setting B, which is set for 90kpa, it spike right up to 103kpa dropped a bit and settled at 90ish. /help

I am assuming there is not much i can do unless i get one of the smarted boost controllers where you can fiddle with the settings, and fine tune them?

Hi Barry, sorry to hear you having probs with this device.. I think Marcel has the same unit? Maybe he has settings that may help?

I thought that most of the lekky controllers would protect against spiking? Maybe there is a maximum setting?

How old is the HKS device?

:inquisiti

BraindG
26-07-2005, 10:29 AM
As far as im aware its their latest BC... /Hmmm

Theres a warning level, however it has spiked above this.. currently its set 100kpa, but it went to 103... not much i know, but thats not the point.

aaron68nz
27-07-2005, 02:29 AM
[QUOTE=BraindG]
I noticed that when i have setting B, which is set for 90kpa, it spike right up to 103kpa dropped a bit and settled at 90ish.
[QUOTE]

I would've thought this small spike is more than acceptable (depending on the extent of the small drop) and beneficial for acceleration as 103 if held to higher revs would give fuel cut in autumn/winter temperatures at least.
I've had max. boost slightly pass the limiter with my greddy but this would be due to the greddy settings demanding a too fast reaction time for the factory wastgate setup.

Axeboy
27-07-2005, 08:27 AM
Ive got an EVC 4 i think.

Boost spikes slightly,... but not much.

Ive set High to 0.85 which spikes at 0.87bar, and low is at 0.7bar.

Never had any problems with the unit and set-up was a doddle.