PDA

View Full Version : How Embarrassing - a little help...

mpau009
20-07-2005, 07:01 AM
Hi, please rescue me from my stupidity - i seem to have buggered my windscreen washer system. /pan It had some contamination in it (left sort of milky residue on the screen), so i thought i would flush it out, so i ran it empty, and filled it up twice, it only took about 5-10 minutes, but i think it wasn't quite designed to handle the continuous use, and now all that happens, is it makes the noises as if normal, but nothing comes out, however the rear washer still goes. Have i burnt out the motor? it still makes noise... ...and yes there’s water in it! :scholar:

Not the smartest thing to do in hindsight, but if anyone has any ideas regarding where to look for things like a fuse, or how to get at it for a closer look, (i guess from the piping, that its somewhere down below the reservoir?)

Also, is there somewhere i can disconnect, and put on the hose, to flush any crap that might have been sucked up the hose?

Would be most greatful, as i can't really afford to take it anywhere at the moment.

mpau009

Darren
20-07-2005, 07:46 AM
here's a possible cause. Over the years deposits build up at the bottom of the reservoir.
If you've let it run out you may have sucked up some of it into the line. If you check under the bonnet you'll see some white plastic valves inserted into the feeder pipes for the system.
Try removing one and check it for blockage. This has happened to me twice. I used a pin to scoop out all the crap and it was fine, that is, until I let it run down to the bottom again. /pan

konman
20-07-2005, 08:03 AM
one thing i do is just jam the hose down into the resevoir and turn it on pretty full on.. seem to blow all the crap right back out and onto the drive way. once youve done this them fill it up and chuck some bars bugs or whatever youve got in it and youre away laughing. :chugchug:

mpau009
20-07-2005, 10:27 AM
one thing i do is just jam the hose down into the resevoir and turn it on pretty full on.. seem to blow all the crap right back out and onto the drive way.

I gave that a bit of a go earlier, got a neat water fountain :thumbsup: , but still no joy. Is there any particular sticking point where it might be blocked? like a filter or something? are there any threads on how to get at the pump, or the like, cause it sounds alot like the pump is over revving, but the line to the rear window still works as per normal??

I think i might have to take out the plastic tank, and see if there's something stuckover the intake.

Also, as an aside, do others have a piece of pink sponge in the tank, which floats up to show the fill level, or is that something the previous owner has done?

I think this might just be one of those fiddly little jobs...

wirdy
20-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Also, as an aside, do others have a piece of pink sponge in the tank, which floats up to show the fill level, or is that something the previous owner has done?...

We've all got this, it's standard.