PDA

View Full Version : How do I read the dipstick on the automatic gearbox?

avander_be
24-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Hi all,

I just had my Galant GLS serviced and asked to change the autobox fluid as it seemed it had never been changed, the car is now five years old and has reached 60.000km so i thought it was due.

Quick reminder: the dipstick has a rather broad 'cold' mark at the tip, then a smaller 'hot' mark before it gets thinner.

When I checked afterwards the fluid level was well beyond the hot mark, almost reaching the thinnest part of the dip stick...

Reading thru the manual it says that it's very important that the level is between the 'cold' and 'hot' marks respectively, so while in doubt I drained some fluid ( about 1,5 litre!) while the engine was cold until the level was just at the beginning of the hot mark. My idea was that the level would increase a bit when the engine is hot...

Today I checked again while the engine was hot this time and went thru all gear positions up and down, strangely the fluid level was now between the 'cold' marks...

According to the 'cold' and 'hot' marks one should think that the fluid level increases when the engine is hot, apparently this doesn't seem to be the case... or is there something wrong with my dipstick?

I'm unsure now wether the level is ok or not, should I just put the fluid I drained back or is there any danger on overfilling?

SGHOM
24-07-2005, 03:22 PM
I'm unsure now wether the level is ok or not, should I just put the fluid I drained back or is there any danger on overfilling?

old fluid back in ?? I think not. :embarasse you did have the engine running whilst you did this ??

avander_be
24-07-2005, 04:21 PM
old fluid back in ?? I think not. :embarasse you did have the engine running whilst you did this ??

No it is new fluid i drained while the level seemed way to high after the service was done... engine was not running though, i thought it would spill all over the place if i did.

Should i check whilst it is running? Where should the level be after cycling thru all the gears up and down?

TIA

SGHOM
24-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Should i check whilst it is running? Where should the level be after cycling thru all the gears up and down?

TIA
you're engine MUST be running whilst you check ATF.

avander_be
24-07-2005, 05:10 PM
I'll have a look at it this evening, thanx.

Lets consider for now that the level must be between the 'hot' marks while the engine is hot AND running AND after cycling thru all gears down and back up.

Kieran
24-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Lets consider for now that the level must be between the 'hot' marks while the engine is hot AND running AND after cycling thru all gears down and back up.

That's 100% correct. Follow those rules and you'll get an accurate reading. Make sure when you check that the engine is running, and the gear shifter is in the 'N' position.