PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phones in the UK

Kenneth
26-07-2005, 01:50 AM
I am thinking of doing something like getting a GSM prepay sim card and using it with my phone while I am in the UK.

My reasoning is that It should be easier and I don't pay any roaming charges etc.

Does anyone have any reccomendaitions on what I should do, what company to go with and what the coverage is across europe (can i use the same phone everywhere)

Any advice much appreciated

oh, and info like cost of connection and per minute costs would be good also

p1_
26-07-2005, 03:04 AM
Vodafone (cough - and not just because I work there :smug: )

try http://www.vodafone.co.nz/services/07.a.15_autoroam.jsp?hd=foryou&st=coverage&ss=goingoverseas

You can just use your vodafone phone in the UK :chugchug:

:thumbsup:

Kenneth
26-07-2005, 03:16 AM
whats the cost though? I was thinking that If I got a sim-card over in the UK then I would be only making local calls instead of international.

Don't forget I am on pre-pay.

hehe, you able to er... update prepay accounts ;) lol

Kenneth
26-07-2005, 03:31 AM
oh, and does UK roaming include Scottland? :P

Trow
26-07-2005, 04:50 AM
oh, and does UK roaming include Scottland? :P

cheeky ****e!

Don't you know that the Scottish still use the ol'e bean cans and wet string theory!!

Kenneth
26-07-2005, 06:43 AM
cheeky ****e!

Don't you know that the Scottish still use the ol'e bean cans and wet string theory!!

lol. Didn't mean to be cheeky... just need to make sure I can contact everyone I need to contact with my mobile if not getting a UK phone...

Nick Mann
26-07-2005, 07:50 AM
There are three or four networks in the UK. If you arrive on international roaming you can use any of them, I guess, but if you buy a UK sim then you will have to choose.

The UK is all covered on the same networks, but cross the sea and things will change. Even the Isle of Man is a different network to the rest of the UK! If you want to use the phone in europe then it will be international roaming rules again.