PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Newbie

Slyder
28-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Hello All,

I've been reading your threads, posts and general banter for a week or so now. You all seem very knowledgable and passionate about your cars. As you can see I don't have one YET!! Just waiting for the proceeds of a house sale to go through in the next couple of weeks then I'll be on the prowl for a Legnum. Wouldn't mind a saloon but I have an estate now and can justify it by occasionally chucking some deliveries in the back of it.If any of you are thinking of selling or have any recommendations about a good one listed anywhere I would be very interested. I've been checking on Auto Trader for some time, would sooner go to a trader as I'd like to trade in the herse. Oh and please excuse the fact that I have no smilies or anything fancy on my profile, I'm a bit of a computer numpty and compared to some of you guys I reckon I will probably come across as an automotive numpty too. I'm better at filling and emptying them of fuel than anything else.

Nick Mann
28-07-2005, 10:19 PM
:smug:

Welcome! Enjoy!

The T5 is hardly a slow car, is it?! Best bet for leggies is the for sale section on here, and the on-line autotrader. Feel free to ask about one if you want. Have you discovered the buyers guide yet?

Slyder
28-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Thanks Nick. yeah I've seen the buyers guide and will be printing it off and learning it off by heart when I go-a-hunting. Yes the T5 is great, but it's handling is not great in the wet. Mine has no traction control and is therefore a bit of a handful

Nick Mann
28-07-2005, 10:44 PM
You don't need traction control in the VR4. Some (including me) would say it is more annoying than helpful. Some have said it is actually unhelpful to the point of being dangerous! Not sure I would go that far. The V6 is a handful in the wet, and the T5 should outgun that, so I can imagine what you are talking about!

Kieran
28-07-2005, 11:58 PM
Welcome to the Club!! :chugchug:

Yes, having graduated recently to a VR-4 from a V6 Sport, I can imagine that your T5 turns into a monster in the wet. The VR-4 is an interesting car in the wet.... You certainly have no shortage of grip, and when you get towards the limits of traction, the AYC and the Traction control help keep you straight.

In contrast to others here, I find traction control a big bonus, and can't really see a reason to turn it off.... It just makes everything fuss-free. If you overcook it, or try to make too sharp and exit, it just reigns in the engine a bit, and allows you to still move fairly sharply, but with no tyre sound effects... Just steady, progressive power untill full grip is restored.

Don't worry about being a car/computer novice... We're here to help- feel free to ask, and use the search facility - you'll probably find that manyof your questions have already been answered. :thumbsup: :scholar:

psbarham
29-07-2005, 07:27 PM
welcome to the mad house , where abouts in norfolk are you ?

Slyder
29-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Thanks. I'm in Thetford. About 8 minutes from Snetterton Broom Broom