PDA

View Full Version : One day, Two 8Gs, Five fluids and a few trials and tribulations...

I-S
31-07-2005, 11:19 PM
My my.... Kieran and I have had an interesting day.

I rolled up at KCT a little later than intended, but still in good time in the morning. So, without much ado we got straight to work on our first challenge...

Task 1 - GLS ATF change

Ahh yes, finally we got to installing the fabled Amsoil synthetic ATF into the GLS. Of course, nothing is ever simple... We drained out the old fluid from the sump without any issues, and poured in a bit of Dexron III to flush it out a bit. The old fluid wasn't hideous but it wasn't fantastic either. No problems there. So, we do up the sump plug and pour in 5 litres of amsoil. So far so good. Next we tackle the torque converter/cooler draining. The little clips were actually in good condition and we successfully removed them without breakage. Our attempts to remove the hose were not so fortunate, so out came the hacksaw and we cut it. Attach drain hose, start car and..... ATF spurting everywhere. Hmm... drain hose must be too loose... ok we'll use the injector hose for the drain. Put that on and start car... ATF spurting everywhere. Hmmm..... we did attach it to the right pipe didn't we? :inquisiti :joker: /pan Nope. So, drain hose attached to the correct pipe and we drained off what more ATF needed it, in addition to the large slick across K's drive... Remove drain, cut the injector hose and then fight with it for 20 minutes to get the other end on the other pipe and get it even. We used a piece of injector hose about 2/3" longer than the hose that was there before, so there's more overlap on the pipes. The original clips were good to go back on and on they did go. Top up with ATF checking the level, then a quick test run. Sorted task 1! :thumbsup:

Task 2 - GLS front brake anti-rattle plate installation

K pretty much single-handedly knocked this task out in about 10 minutes. No major issues, although it seemed that the copper grease we put on the lock and guide pins a few months back isn't faring well. Some high-temperature lithium grease may be the order of the day here... Task 2 completed! :thumbsup:

Interlude for lunch. Bacon Sarnies and an amusing musical presentation.

Task 3 - VR4 ATF Change

So, having done one ATF change we felt pretty smugly confident to tackle the next. All was ready, all was set.... :inquisiti /Hmmm "Hold on, that's not Dexron III, that's Dexron II" /pan /pan /help Thank god we hadn't drained it yet. So, that was that one scuppered. Task 3 failed!

I-S
31-07-2005, 11:35 PM
Task 4 - VR4 AYC fluid Change

We still had a few litres of Dexron III, and we had the werewithal to do it, so here comes the AYC fluid change. No major dramas involved, other than the interesting process of getting the car onto the ramps, the nut that wouldn't come undone and was almost impossible to remove, the leaky pump to get the fluid in... But get it in we did (well, Kieran did while I made various random comments and took the odd piccy). Task 4 beaten! :thumbsup

Task 5 - VR4 Rear diff oil change

With the VR4 up on the ramps it made sense to do the diff oil too while we were there... So, drain it out... EURGH! What is this mud coming out of the car?! Glad we got that one changed... Task 5 despatched!

I-S
31-07-2005, 11:40 PM
Task 6 - VR4 Transfer box fluid change

Not as hideous as the rear diff.... Task 6 done!

Task 7 - VR4 engine oil change

Not once, not twice, but three times! Dropped the old oil, put flushing oil in. Marvelled at the **** that came out with the flushing oil, put semi-synth in. Ragged around the block a few times, then dropped the semi-synth (which came out pretty clean) and put in the fully synth and new filter.

Plus we cleaned the driveway of random mixtures of gear/engine/ATF oil that had "escaped".

Pics will follow...

Wodjno
01-08-2005, 12:10 AM
Nice acievement .. Look forward to the pics.. :thumbsup:

Kieran
01-08-2005, 12:16 AM
And here's a more in-depth anatomy of the AYC clutch fluid change....

..... No major dramas involved,
:speechles :uhoh2: :lipsrseal

......other than the interesting process of getting the car onto the ramps..... :undecided /Hmmm /Steeringw :thumbsup:

the nut that wouldn't come undone......
:smash: :veryangry :furious3: :smash: :smash:

and was almost impossible to remove......
:furious3: /Hissy :smash: /duh :smash: /wall :rolleyes4

the leaky pump to get the fluid in...
:| >| :furious3:

But get it in we did ....(well, Kieran did while I made various random comments and took the odd piccy). Task 4 beaten! :thumbsup
/GJ :givemebee /haz

Wodjno
25-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Task 6 - VR4 Transfer box fluid change

Not as hideous as the rear diff.... Task 6 done!

Task 7 - VR4 engine oil change

Not once, not twice, but three times! Dropped the old oil, put flushing oil in. Marvelled at the **** that came out with the flushing oil, put semi-synth in. Ragged around the block a few times, then dropped the semi-synth (which came out pretty clean) and put in the fully synth and new filter.

Plus we cleaned the driveway of random mixtures of gear/engine/ATF oil that had "escaped".

Pics will follow...

Hi

Did the pics get processed.. Or are they in the Members section .. ?

Kieran
25-08-2005, 10:43 PM
Hi

Did the pics get processed.. Or are they in the Members section .. ?

:oops: /wall

Yeah, the interface between my chair and the keyboard appears to have gone on the blink again.... :embarasse /pan

I'll sort 'em and upload when I get a mo...

I-S
11-09-2005, 12:04 PM
Ok, so I've some time I'll get this done....

Pic 1: The bit of hose that connects the gearbox and the cooler on the GLS

Pic 2: The gearbox showing location of the sump bolt

Pic 3: The old stuff pouring out

I-S
11-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Pic 1: Kieran after discovering that we'd put the drain on the wrong side of the ATF cooler. Twice. Hence slick of ATF...

Pic2: Pumping fluid into AYC system.

Pic3: Undoing something. Transfer box filling hole I think...

Wouter
11-09-2005, 12:19 PM
.......Ragged around the block a few times...

I take it Kieran was not driving then?? :D

I-S
11-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Pic 1: Draining the rear transfer box fluid (ick!)
Pic 2: The rear transfer box plug with swarf
Pic 3: Refilling rear transfer box

I-S
11-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Pic 1: The "stuff" out of the rear transfer box.

Pic 2: Draining the front transfer box

Pic 3: The filling hole for the front transfer box. Yes, that thing at the top.

I-S
11-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Pic 1: Ingenious method to extend wheel ramps so that the VR4 can actually get on them.

Pic 2: Refilling the front transfer box.

Pic 3: Don't mess with Alex. /pan

I-S
11-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Pic 1: You'll be wanting to change that engine oil more often Mr. Mann...

Pic 2: Flushing oil before

Pic 3: Flushing oil after

I-S
11-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Pic 1: This goes in here.... right?

Pic 2: Oooh look, it's still the same colour!