PDA

View Full Version : ECU on a v6

strapping young lad
01-08-2005, 09:12 PM
ive heard and read about cars's bhp being increased due to ECU modification but as im new to the world of ecu's is this possible on a galant?

if so who does it, how much does it cost and what inrease do you get?

mainly out of interest /yes

V6nut
02-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Far as I know it's possible on all cars bud, you can buy already mapped ones or I think you can get a program and link it to a computer to re-map them. The power increase is a percentage rather than a set increase and it's meant to get the most out of the engine by adjusting it to any other mods. Other members are bound to bash me down over getting this wrong but I think that is how it works.

Kieran
02-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Nr. Nut is quite right. You can also get 'Piggyback' devices that work by being soldered into the ECU's loom, and they 'meddle' with the signals that the ECU 'sees' and sends back out - Normally to tweak fuel and ignition.

The Dastek Uni-chip has been fitted to a couple of Galants on here, as has the Apexi S-AFC.

I-S
03-08-2005, 12:17 AM
Of course, nothing comes for free though. More power will use more fuel and it could have knock-on effects on reliability, longevity, emissions, etc. Otherwise the manufacturer would originally spec such a mapping. And chipping on its own, without any other modifications, will not achieve very much because the standard map will be close to optimum for the standard inlet/exhaust. Let the engine breathe easier, then give it more fuel and you'll see more benefit.

V6nut
03-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Nr. Nut is quite right. You can also get 'Piggyback' devices that work by being soldered into the ECU's loom, and they 'meddle' with the signals that the ECU 'sees' and sends back out - Normally to tweak fuel and ignition.

The Dastek Uni-chip has been fitted to a couple of Galants on here, as has the Apexi S-AFC.

Thought I'd put my 10 cents forward and lo and behold....I was right :thumbsup:

strapping young lad
03-08-2005, 09:03 PM
yeh as i said it was mainly out of interest

dont think i need to modify mine much as its as much power as i need anyway (ive modded landies before and it affects other aspects which also cost more money etc so ive learnt my lesson

unless its a vr4 then god help me! :)