PDA

View Full Version : My car is a cripple...

dreamer
03-08-2005, 01:05 AM
It is a sad, sad time at the moment.

Leaving work on Monday night my VR-4 shat itself.

The car doesn't idle, dies if you're not reving, revving is very 'sluggish' and won't get past 4,500RPM no matter what. It runs as rough as guts.

As it was 8:30 at night, and I'm working in a truck stop, I wasn't too keen to play round with the engine in the dark.

Didn't want to void my warranty either so it's been towed over to Mitsubishi Motors in New Market, luckily the Service Manager is a family friend, so I trust him to be honest and not rip me toooo much.

The out come? Time will tell.

But on the brightside, I received my Club VR-4 Memebership pack in the mail yesterday - very exciting stuff.
My thanks go to dickytim for sending the money off, and my thanks to the Poms for the goodies and effeciant service.

KiwiTT
03-08-2005, 01:32 AM
Let us know what the service is like.

Spirit
03-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Good luck mate, hope they manage to sort it out

BraindG
03-08-2005, 09:34 AM
hope you get this sorted out soon. might wanna check the battery/altenator aswell.. when my car is die'n due to power issues i have the same symptoms..

dreamer
05-08-2005, 02:14 AM
Just called Mitsubishi, but the Service Manager was at lunch so I talked to a random person who checked the computer.

I want my car back!

ako
05-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Hope its not too pricey mate - my first thought is just an intake leak or AFM problem :(

bluey
07-08-2005, 06:23 AM
Step up motor?
similar thing happnd 2 mine. guy said something bout a step up motor sumthng sumthng.

dreamer
07-08-2005, 08:42 PM
Thanks for your input guys.

I agree Ako, I hope it's not too pricey either, it's already had a fair amount of mechanic time spent on it, let alone parts.

I thought it was the stepper motor as well, but the steper motor holds the idle within range, doesn't effect the overall drivablity of the car.

Mitsi still don't know what it is.
They've done the usual, Replaced Battery, Terminals, Leads, Air flow metre, Spark plugs / leads, and a few other things I can't remember at the moment.
Everyone at Mitsubishi, or related to Mitsi cars in some way all said "oh yeah, it's probably a computer fault - good luck pin pointing it!"

When I talked to the workshop on Saturday they we running the car through the computer diagnostics again.

No more news yet.

dreamer
07-08-2005, 11:57 PM
Hope its not too pricey mate - my first thought is just an intake leak or AFM problem :(

Top Marks to ako - 100%.

Service Manager at Mitsi called me this morning and said it was in fact an air-leak in the induction.
While the car was at Mitsubishi, they performed a 'B' service and checked they whole car from Top to Toe - something I failed to do prior to purchasing the vehicle.

He said the plonker at Mitsi I talked to on Saturday got the car mixed up with some other Silver VR4 wagon. The Service Manager said they started fixing it Friday lunchtime, and found the fault within a couple of hours. However, the biggest damage to my wallet won't be the fault fixing, but the 2 lower ball joints that were worn and recommended to be replaced.

Parts are being shipped from Wellington to Auckland overnight, and I should have my car back tomorrow arvo.

*GRIN*

I'll give an update on the service once I've collected the car, and seen the bill!

Stand by.

ako
08-08-2005, 01:29 AM
The lower ball joints seems to be a really common problem with the VR4's.. My last one had issues with them, current one hasnt yet (touch wood) and my mates just both of his are toast. He got quoted $220 per side from mitsi for parts alone, albiet for a 7G. Fitting is a bit of an arse though :S

Good luck!

dickytim
08-08-2005, 07:36 AM
I thaught that the lower ball joints were a recall issue in Japan.

Louis
08-08-2005, 05:49 PM
HI,
There was a recall on the lower ball joints and mitsi replace them free of charge, I had mine done a while ago (I have a 96 Legnum VR4 auto), ask the dealership to do a recall check on your chassis number and it will bring up any recall work that is outstanding, good luck, cheers Louis