PDA

View Full Version : MOT: Streering arm's?

Big Ian
03-08-2005, 03:26 PM
just back from the yearly MOT visit and well....... :inquisiti good N bad :rolleyes4

1st the :embarasse bad....both steering control arm's (not track rod end's) have a small amount off play in them :uhoh2:
Question:
are they replacable without replacing the whole steering rack? Gordon (the mechanic) said they should be /Hmmm
(but did'nt want to pull back the rubber gatter to see if they seperate/split)
he also said......"to be honest Ian, they should be fine the way they are, i'm not failling it on them!...ive saw alot worse than this :leer: on every volvo that come's through here /yes"

the Good new's is He Passed it :thumbsup: "Flying colour's...Mint" is what he said :scholar:

if anyone can help with my Question, then that would be a great help :inquisiti ........don't wanna replace the whole rack :embarasse (and my CD-manual wont open /duh )

Kieran
03-08-2005, 05:40 PM
I think you can just replace the rack ends Ian. Have a peep here - it seems fairly common!

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6438&highlight=steering+rack+ends

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79&highlight=steering+rack+ends

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5085&highlight=steering+assembly

The Vee
03-08-2005, 07:31 PM
just had mine done (thank you red zebra) tis a facelift, but don't think there is any difference.

Big Ian
03-08-2005, 11:54 PM
just had mine done (thank you red zebra) tis a facelift, but don't think there is any difference.
Andy, have you the part code's? and an approx price?? if possable
ive had a look at the "play" i'm getting from them i'd say at the most ive about 3mm worth of movement on the N/S and less from the O/S, not to much play? but i'm doing them soon as /yes i hate knowing their's a fault and still /Steeringw driving about with it! no matter how big or small "Safety First"

/Hmmm part's i'll probably need x2: steering control arm, gatter, clip's, grease and i might as well re-place the track rod end's while i'm at it :rolleyes4 all part's will also come from Mizzibushy=£££ :embarasse Ouch!

Big Ian
04-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Mitsibushi price: £51.40 + vat for each arm, £ 20 + vat for each gatter and £ 28 + vat for each track rod end

local motor factor price: £35 + vat for each arm, can't get gatter's, £15 + vat each track rod end

dealer don't have any of the part's in stock with 48 hrs supply time.

factor can have arm's and rod end's for lunch time tomorrow.

also the dealer's have said "special tool's are needed to do the job proper" /Hmmm .....is this true?

/help ive spent enough this year on it without putting out more £ on either new tool's or a dealer fixing bill!! :inquisiti

DUNLY
04-08-2005, 02:39 PM
My MOT's due next month ian, same car/age, should be interesting to see if theres much difference.! /Hmmm

The Vee
04-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Ian, sorry mate, missed your post, but see you now have parts. Not too sure about the special tool bit as under Red Zeb they were dealer fitted (they did do the track rod ends as well while they were on) :thumbsup:

Big Ian
04-08-2005, 05:29 PM
My MOT's due next month ian, same car/age, should be interesting to see if theres much difference.! /Hmmm

Dunly, /Hmmm your's has less miles i think?, mine's is 94K also with it being lowered and broader than standard wheel's may be the cause of the arm's showing "play" on them? :smug: good luck though :thumbsup: MOT's give me restless night's!

Andy, ive not ordered the part's yet (fell asleep!).... but i know what i'm after now :thumbsup:thank's

thing with me is.....ive been driving with this fault maybe for a while /Hmmm and would probably still be doing so for longer (not knowing) and not had any problem's from the steering? but as i know they need re-placed i feel un-easy using it?.........i'm just being to "over carefull" i think :rolleyes4 .... :inquisiti aint i??? still "mushint gwrumble" it's only the 2nd bit of standard repair work needed on it on 3 yrs...everything else ive done/spent on have been up-grade's or service part's /pan

also just had a thought /STP ?...ive not long had the tracking done and it was out /Hmmm could they have adjusted the arm's from the wrong end and losen't them...if it's posably to? :inquisiti .......... :vogel: there i go again looking for blame instead of just fixing it.......DooH /duh

i need a drink :beerbang:

The Vee
04-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Nah, they cant adjust it from the wrong end, but surprised they didn't pick up on any play. Unless they just adjusted one side. But as your garage said, if it's not enough to fail the mot it's probably not too bad - just a bit of fair wear and tear.