PDA

View Full Version : Euro trip ......

Physician
04-08-2005, 05:14 AM
Got home earlier tonight after a total mileage of 2,103 - France > Switzerland > Italy > France.

Numerous stories obviously but an amusing one firstly. Stayed with my best buddy and his extended family near Lyon for a few days. His brother came for dinner one evening and we started reminiscing about the last time we met at this house 24 years ago. I don't remember, but apparently I let him drive my drop head E Type Jag past his favourite 'local' so that all his friends could see HIS new car! He asked me where it was and why I had the Mitsubishi parked in the drive. I told him I needed 4 seats etc etc. "Oh, what engine does it have?" ........... "What is the BHP?" ......... "Wow, nice" he said after I told him - feeling proud of the figures etc.

Half an hour later, or so, I asked him what he drove now ......... "Oh, I'm getting old now - an Audi estate with plenty of room like yours".

And that was that ........... until the next evening when we drove to his house (mansion in 240 acres!) and I saw all his cars. Brand new Land Rover, brand new VW Tuareg (at night the cockpit is like an Airbus!), BMW M3 for his wife and ............... an Audi estate car. BUT .......... damn him, an RS6!!! (450 BHP).

I didn't accept the offer of a race. But nice of him not to 'out-do' me when we initially discussed my VR4 figures.

Anyway ...... a few pics from my trip .......... look out for the Club VR4 sticker I made. The 'tall' pic is actually Mont Blanc in background but shrouded in clouds unfortunately. The Satnav shows one of the more interesting roads high in the Swiss Alps ....... the Furka pass.

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/ad1.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/ad2.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/ad3.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/ad4.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/ad5.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/ad6.jpg

Spirit
04-08-2005, 07:23 AM
Fabulous pics Rich, and good to see the CVR4 name being spread even further across Europe :thumbsup:

Glad you made it home safely, and I take it the car was as reliable as the 4 Ringateers' /Steeringw

bradc
04-08-2005, 08:09 AM
great pics, how did you go driving on the wrong side?

Kieran
04-08-2005, 08:35 AM
Stunning Pictures Richard....Wow!

maori_by_nature
04-08-2005, 08:52 AM
i'm jelous.... enough said...

WildCards
04-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Looks like great Mountain Biking country, and good for racing a few mini's with gold bullion in the boot!?!?!

Great pics.

Steve

Jimbo
04-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Cracking pictures....were you singing "This is the self preservation society" as you were driving up those mountain roads?! /lol

pezza
04-08-2005, 09:52 AM
breathtaking scenery there Rich :thumbsup:

would be great to convoy through the hills...

No problems finding enough gas stations there?

With some of these superb shots being posted up recently time to start thinking of a 2006 calendar???? Some top contenders there already.. esp that last shot.. (Look at the 4R$E on that!) :evil2:

BraindG
04-08-2005, 10:05 AM
good to have you back in one piece, cracking photos! any other stories? :)

RED
04-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Glad you had a safe journey and good holiday :thumbsup: Like Derek says there are some smashing photos and crackers for the new calender :2thumbsup

Physician
04-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Pete

Yep, totally reliable - not a squeak from any part of the car. The only issue I had was reversing out of my buddies drive in France and grounding the front 'tow bar' section which ripped it off. It also 'opened' the two press stud holes so I couldn't put it back on securely. Found a local garage who looked at it, repaired it (which took about 15 minutes) and then refused payment! I left 10 Euros with their reception manager for the mechanic and said 'pour une biere'. He replied ........ "Non, dix Euros est cinq bieres, merci monsieur!" (10 Euros is five beers, thanks).

bradc

No problems with driving on right (probably because I've lived in countries which drive on the wrong side!). Only problems I have are the French orange flashing traffic lights when I'm never sure if I can 'go' or not, or at least, WHO has right of way.

I can honestly say I didn't make a mistake on the whole trip ......... well, apart from one little non-serious incident. I nearly ran over a pedestrian on a zebra crossing in Annecy, France! Silly pri*k dashed across from behind a bus obscuring my view. Slammed brakes on and stopped before road lines but I think he probably needed clean underwear as he spat out obscenities at me in French. .......... I smiled nicely whilst making an innocent 'up and down' hand gesture which could have suggested he liked cleaning car radio aerials.

Pezza

Yes, even up at the highest levels in the Alps there were plenty of gas stations with 98 RON. Not actually at top of various 'passes' but certainly within 10 miles of either side.

Barry

Stories - loads.

Ummm ........ pulled up at petrol station on Swiss/French border. Filled up and the guy (who spoke no English) made it obvious that he liked the VR4 and wanted to know all about it as he hadn't seen one before. I didn't get away for TWO hours after being invited into his house (attached to his garage) for lunch with his wife and young teenage son. (I guess HE was about 40 'ish).

After a while it became obvious why he was so interested as he opened a glass doored garage to show me his Honda NSX and another garage with a new race prepared Honda Civic Type R. He then took me for a quick spin in the Civic on some twisty mountain roads ........ sh**, that was exhilarating to say the least ...... but he DID know the roads well even though there were some of those mind numbing drops of a 1000/2000 ft or so at the sides. Guess who needed clean underwear now! But it did make me appreciate just what a sedate, slow and considerate driver I am ! :smug:

pezza
04-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Sounds like a top trip Rich...

Those pix remind me of my 2 trips to zurich and geneva in the 90's. I remember seeing a good few ferraris and porsches on those open roads.

I guess that part of the world is a landscape photographers' dream (and hardened mountain bikers too)

Any more pix to post?

(am sat at my desk staring at a screen with loads of alerts going off, at the North London Kingsbury office wishing I wasn't here now)

Physician
04-08-2005, 02:21 PM
Sounds like a top trip Rich...

Those pix remind me of my 2 trips to zurich and geneva in the 90's. I remember seeing a good few ferraris and porsches on those open roads.

I guess that part of the world is a landscape photographers' dream (and hardened mountain bikers too)

Any more pix to post?

(am sat at my desk staring at a screen with loads of alerts going off, at the North London Kingsbury office wishing I wasn't here now)

Yea, some rich people in Switzerland.

I'll post links to more scenic pics when I've processed them ....... n' video too.

The Vee
04-08-2005, 02:41 PM
awesome pics Rich, love that part of the world. Glad it all went well and back safely

Brunty
04-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Great pics Richard - looks like you had a fantastic time.

How did the TomTom perform on the continent - do exactly what it says on the box?

Kalle
05-08-2005, 11:32 PM
I don't understand, what do you mean with wrong side of the road... ;)

Great stories man! I guess it's more likely to happen with an unusual car on a roadtrip.. I want a Legnum VR4!!! :)

Physician
07-08-2005, 11:58 PM
Great pics Richard - looks like you had a fantastic time.

How did the TomTom perform on the continent - do exactly what it says on the box?

Tomtom .......... aha! another story.

Yes, it performed exactly as it was supposed to ........... with ONE exception.

I was just about to ascend one mountain to go over the Oberalp Pass. Tomtom says, "in 100 yards turn left (off the main road) and take the ferry."

Eh? .......... I turned left anyway and it was a small road and a dead end within 200 yards! Went back on the main road and after a while it stopped telling me to "turn around" and accepted my chosen route. There were no rivers, lakes or sea anywhere near me so where it got the idea of a ferry from I don't know lol. :embarasse

Physician
08-08-2005, 12:52 AM
I don't understand, what do you mean with wrong side of the road... ;)

Great stories man! I guess it's more likely to happen with an unusual car on a roadtrip.. I want a Legnum VR4!!! :)

Tak coltkalle. Glad I drive in UK as your police are too strict lol ! :embarasse