PDA

View Full Version : Locating squeaks in the cabin

Brunty
04-08-2005, 09:47 PM
I'm pretty sure it's just the little things that need sorting out in my VR4 - probably the most irritating are one or two rattles and squeaks that can be heard when out driving.

I think I've located two annoying squeaks in the cabin one apparently in the ceiling trim by the drivers right ears, the other also suspected in the roof trim above the rear LHS passenger seat.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing them and how they might be silenced?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

BraindG
04-08-2005, 09:50 PM
oh god... don't talk to me about squeaks and rattles... they are driving me insane!...

regarding your ones, it could be the centre pilar plastic rubbing on the roof... have you had it off atall?

SGHOM
04-08-2005, 09:55 PM
have you had it off at all?

not lately ! :embarasse :embarasse

but the sun visors rattle/vibrate in mine ?? I have to fold them part way down to stop the annoying 'buzz' . /yes

psbarham
04-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Does anyone have any idea what is causing them and how they might be silenced?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
on the left hand side in the middle of the centre console is a knob that will cure all squeaks , turn it clockwise untill you cant hear them ( 11 should do it )

BraindG
04-08-2005, 10:00 PM
on the left hand side in the middle of the centre console is a knob that will cure all squeaks , turn it clockwise untill you cant hear them ( 11 should do it )
LOL! that will do it!

mpau009
04-08-2005, 10:09 PM
My two cents would be to get someone else to drive, while you sit in the back, cause after i put some stiffer suspension in, i got all sorts of noises, but it turns out it can be quite hard to judge the true source, as i thought i had a creaky dash, but it turned out to be a reflection of my rear seat catches, it just sounded that way. And my sub caused the numberplate to rattle, but it sounded like it was coming from the aircon :rolleyes4

Also you don't kill yourself thumping bits of trim at 60kph. Also the best thing i found for under dash rattles is cable ties and tape, its amazing how much noise that can get rid of on older cars

Brunty
04-08-2005, 10:17 PM
... have you had it off atall?

not lately

Arrrrggggghhhh! Who told you? Is it that obvious? :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

It's been that long I think the end has sealed up!?!?!?!

I-S
04-08-2005, 10:30 PM
So the story goes (true story):

Peter Sellers bought a new Rolls Royce. He turned up at Spike Milligan's house at 3am and woke Spike up saying "I've got this new rolls royce, but there's a squeak in the boot. I need you to get in the boot with this piece of chalk and when you hear it mark where it's coming from".

So, Spike gets in the boot and Peter starts driving the car around, up and down kerbs to provoke the squeak. Then the car stops and Spike hears muffled voices. Then the boot opens and a policeman shines his torch onto spike, who is still wearing his pyjamas.

After about 5 seconds the policeman says "Oh. It's you"

wirdy
04-08-2005, 11:41 PM
Whilst on this subject, has anyone managed to cure the Legnum load cover squeaking that I've put up with for the past three years?
I've tried all sorts of paper/cardboard shims, silicon sprays, foam inserts, etc without any long-lasting success.

mpau009
05-08-2005, 01:12 AM
Whilst on this subject, has anyone managed to cure the Legnum load cover squeaking that I've put up with for the past three years?
I've tried all sorts of paper/cardboard shims, silicon sprays, foam inserts, etc without any long-lasting success.

ahem.... ....Take it out..... /pan sometimes i impress even myself :thumbsup:

If that fails, you could try some velcro tabs, or trim tape something to hold it in place, so it can't touch the sides. If not try something heavyier, like some leather scraps, or that thin heavy foam tape that you use when putting a sub in its box so it won't develop a rattle???

If you're really keen, you could probably pop off some trim, and tighten some bits, like the clips that hold it in??? don't really know as i haven't pulled that apart yet..

wirdy
05-08-2005, 01:21 AM
ahem.... ....Take it out..... /pan sometimes i impress even myself :thumbsup:

If that fails, you could try some velcro tabs, or trim tape something to hold it in place, so it can't touch the sides. If not try something heavyier, like some leather scraps, or that thin heavy foam tape that you use when putting a sub in its box so it won't develop a rattle???

If you're really keen, you could probably pop off some trim, and tighten some bits, like the clips that hold it in??? don't really know as i haven't pulled that apart yet..

BTTT. Still squeaks. /yes :inquisiti

Trouble with removing altogether is that's it's so damn useful for keeping the sun off the groceries and prying eyes off your boot contents.

pezza
05-08-2005, 10:02 AM

This is the most annoying squeak and rattle of them all.... /grr is it the spring tensioner bit inside the cover? or the fact its touching the sides??? /help
I need to fix it!! /pan

bernmc
05-08-2005, 11:03 AM

There's a nob behind the steering wheel too... ;)

Vector
05-08-2005, 01:59 PM
i've got some squeeks in my cabin too and a terrible rattle when the mrs is in but thats easily remedied.... /pan
my sunglasses holder won't shut flush and theres a terribly annoying squeek behind it amd the clock keeps going off and on.......
i gotta get the dash off to sort it ...think its either when they fitted the alarm or speedo converter....how the hell do you get the big dam mitsy square radio out?....also anyone got this ..with the throttle down just a tad i get an electronic sounding whistle coming from just behind the dash ..maybe from the engine bay..put your foot down a fraction more and its gone..??? /Steeringw

wirdy
05-08-2005, 06:29 PM
This is the most annoying squeak and rattle of them all.... /grr is it the spring tensioner bit inside the cover? or the fact its touching the sides??? /help
I need to fix it!! /pan

Thanks D, I was beginning to think it was just me.

I think it's the way it sits in the square cut-out, it's plastic versus plastic, so a squeak is almost inevitable. Mitsi may have had design problems with it because mine came with some velour type padding in there- it looked original.

Brunty
05-08-2005, 09:30 PM
my sunglasses holder won't shut flush and theres a terribly annoying squeek behind it amd the clock keeps going off and on.......

Vector - I think both of these are quite common and have been discussed elsewhere, obstructions seem to be attracted to the back of the sunglasses holder and the connectors on the clock are just bobbins!

bernmc
05-08-2005, 10:35 PM
Is there an easy way to get the sunglasses holder out without removing the whole centre console? I stupidly put some coins in mine, and now they're stuck behind it :|

SGHOM
05-08-2005, 10:45 PM
Is there an easy way to get the sunglasses holder out without removing the whole centre console? I stupidly put some coins in mine, and now they're stuck behind it :|
tight ar$e. /yes /pan :chugchug: :chugchug:

mpau009
06-08-2005, 12:23 AM

It only takes a screwdriver, rag (so you don't mark it) and 90seconds to pop off that consol (start with the piece by the gearshift), i spent ages on the same thing, it did look like a good coin holder... Its way easier just to unclip it (don't unplug the wires) and stick your hand up the back.

Kieran
06-08-2005, 12:39 AM

I've written a guide for it Bern - check the articles area :scholar:

Big Ian
08-08-2005, 01:50 PM
:leer: ive 3 rattle's, 2 of them only rattle when i turn on my Amp + Sub: rear centre seat belt reel (under the rear shelve,saloon) and the rear veiw mirror....it also shake's quite abit and the 3rd is from behind the centre facia panel, stripped it out a few time's, tied wire's up, taped stuff tight together, but it still rattles! :rolleyes4