PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi tiptronic logic?

I-S
07-08-2005, 10:47 PM
I was wondering how the tiptronic on the mitsubishis operates...

On the Toyota avensis hire car I had, it was infuriating. When the car was in fourth, putting the lever over into the tip gate would cause it to change down to third.

This annoyed me because I've long ago got used to "counting" the gears and always know what gear the car is in, and I expect it to stay in that gear going into the tip gate before being told up or down.

I'm guessing that the VR4 stays in its gear when you go into the tip gate, hence why it displays the selected gear when you're in drive?

Also, if you have the car in tip and have selected 3, does this work like a normal auto's "3" setting, where it will use 1, 2 and 3 but no higher? This is what the toyota did, but I have heard that the VAG DSG gearbox will let car labour if you have selected a higher gear (ie it is more manual-like and has to be nannied through downshifts too).

zentac
07-08-2005, 11:19 PM
the mitsi tip box will stay in whatever gear you tell it to unless

a) you change it.
b) you come to a stop in which case it will gear down to 1st for you.
c) you put it back into auto.

Other than that your in control you can bounce it off the rev limiter if you like in any gear. It does have safe guards in that it would let you gear down from 4th to 2nd at 100mph etc..... so if its out of the safe speed settings for a gear it wont let you gear down into that gear (or gear up) so you wont get into top gear at 1mph either

Wodjno
07-08-2005, 11:40 PM
Hi Isaac.. The Tiptronic Box of the VR4 does exactly what it says on the box. It learns your driving charactaristics of whom is drivin the car .. But if you want the gearbox to act like a manual then you have to drive it like a manual and that even means letting off the throttle between gear changes.. But
if you want a smooth gearshift in Auto under hard acceleration then don't try this method, cos it ain't gonna happen.
It all depends on what you are really lookng for from your car ..
Drive like you want it to perform ... And it will.. :thumbsup:

Simple as that /yes

Physician
08-08-2005, 12:27 AM
I'll tell you something else about the auto side also.

A few months ago on a track I stupidly thought I was in tip mode (manual) and pushed the lever forwards to change gear at high speed. I was actually in auto mode and put the box into reverse :embarasse . I instantly realised my mistake and pulled it back into auto 'drive'.

Whilst away in Europe I made exactly the same mistake again :embarasse. (I need a 'wan*er' smiley!)

Obviously you ain't going to test it but there is some sort of safety system within the box in case of idiots like me ......... it makes a funny noise to be sure but I'm guessing there is a ratchet or suchlike that just lets the cogs whirl without engaging forward or reverse at certain speeds (probably unless it's actually stationary.)

avander_be
08-08-2005, 08:44 AM
The INVECS-II is the best and most 'intelligent' autobox I ever had ( saying this after 4 hondamatic)...

however on my GLS I find that it often shifts up too early... going up to 3rd in an eyeblink for instance, leaving me with a punchless drive...

any ideas on how to 'learn' it to stay a bit longer in 2nd ( kind of sport mode) without going in tip mode?

I use tip mode essentially to downshift at traffic lights, maybe this tends to confuse it...

chris g
08-08-2005, 08:51 AM
In auto drive it like a maniac or slightly less frantic and it will learn that way to perform if you continue to drive the car that way

Drive it in auto sedately and it learns that behaviour and will follow your lead and perform like that as long as you drive that way

In tiptronic it learns nothing only changing gear as you move the lever

Or as already said, if you stop it goes into first

Nick VR4
08-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Also disconnecting the battery it will loose the settings

I drove mine in tip and forgot I was in tip mode
Pulled away in 1st gear at a set of lights and redlined it did it a few times was racing a BMW
After Mr BMW turned off saw him in the rear view mirror :thumbsup:
Went back to Auto mode and every time I pulled away in 1st it was revving rather to high
Got back home disconnected Battery for about 2 mins
Reconnected and drove off and auto mode was back to normal

I-S
08-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Zentac - so if you put it in "3" and slow down to 10mph it will stay in 3 rather than shifting down to 2?

In the toyota the tip modes acted just like the 3, 2, L holds on my non-tip auto do.

All of the rest is standard Invecs it seems... the way the learning works. I've found that the learning only lasts around 5-10 minutes. If I rag it a bit it will do some quite sporting downchanges, but it only takes a few minutes of gentle driving before it stops doing so.

zentac
08-08-2005, 10:13 PM
yes my INVECS-II use to in the FTO in fact all 3 of them did! (Ive had 3 FTO`s)

Nick Mann
08-08-2005, 10:45 PM
The box does not let you travel too slowly in a high gear (it drops gears for you, or prevents you changing up) and it does not let you travel too quickly in a low gear (it bounces of the rev limiter or prevents you changing down).

It doesn't do anything else for you unless you push the stick!

SGHOM
08-08-2005, 10:48 PM
and it does not let you travel too quickly in a low gear !
mine lets me travel very quickly in all gears !! :smug: :smug: