PDA

View Full Version : Euro trip pics 2

Physician
08-08-2005, 12:08 AM
A few more pics:

Kieran
08-08-2005, 12:48 AM
Richard..... Yet again more stunning photos! /yes You like a bit of semi-pro shooting, no? /yes :happy:

Physician
08-08-2005, 12:57 AM
Richard..... Yet again more stunning photos! /yes You like a bit of semi-pro shooting, no? /yes :happy:

Thanks Kieran ........ actually the scenery 'does it' but my compositions are mostly cr*p ........ car cut off at rear, doors left open etc etc. Out of 290 photos I took on the trip only about 20 are OK :embarasse

GroundControl
08-08-2005, 02:01 AM
absolutely stunning - i especially like the last three

well done :thumbsup:

Spirit
08-08-2005, 07:27 AM
Great scenery, great car.......perfect combination :thumbsup:

pezza
09-08-2005, 11:38 AM
top drawer pix yet again Rich... :thumbsup:

When's the euro trip 2006 calendar being printed then? /yes

Nick Mann
09-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Good photos! Just shown them to a Swiss colleague, and assuming he is right, the pass in your last but one photo was a gravel road until the late 60's!

He also said that he believes he can feel the performance leave the car as you go up a pass. He thinks the thinning air can lead to large drops in performance, often very noticeable as you drive.

Physician
09-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Good photos! Just shown them to a Swiss colleague, and assuming he is right, the pass in your last but one photo was a gravel road until the late 60's!

He also said that he believes he can feel the performance leave the car as you go up a pass. He thinks the thinning air can lead to large drops in performance, often very noticeable as you drive.

Hi Nick,

I was wondering about the performance at higher altitudes after reading a thread on another forum prior to leaving UK. From what the 'experts' were saying, Turbo cars don't get any drop in performance and also the colder temperatures actually assist. I personally didn't notice any difference, but I wasn't driving fast anyway so may not have noticed either way.

I can well believe it was a gravel road in the 60's, although now the roads are superb. So that he can better identify where the picture was taken I've marked some details on the following picture.

I was travelling from Andermatt to Sion and this picture is taken coming down from the Furkapass.

A = Where the second last photo was taken - in the valley marked.

B = Road to Interlaken and Jungfrau mountain via the Grimselpass.

C = Road to Andermatt (which I am on - further up)

D = Village of Gletsch

Brunty
09-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Simply Gorgeous!

The Vee
09-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Very nice indeed Sir :thumbsup:

SGHOM
09-08-2005, 04:37 PM
Simply Gorgeous!
& the scenery's not bad either !! /yes

landy
09-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Stunning scenery (and car, love the quad exhausts!)

What's happened in the 2nd to last photo? Looks like a layer of trees has been filled in with a darker colour?? :inquisiti

Nick Mann
09-08-2005, 11:09 PM
Interesting about turbo'd cars suffering less. I'll bet he's never driven a turbo'd car over a mountain pass.

He did say the Furkapass, but I wan't sure of the spelling and didn't want to offend! He grew up in Basel, which I think he said is further West than where your photos were taken.

Looks like good fun to drive those roads - not sure I'd want to drive them daily though!

Physician
09-08-2005, 11:17 PM
What's happened in the 2nd to last photo? Looks like a layer of trees has been filled in with a darker colour?? :inquisiti

That's the Black Forest silly!!! :embarasse

I accentuated the background of the mountains and sky to get better definition in Photoshop and the trees in that area 'seem' darker although I didn't manipulate them at all in fact.

Rich

strapping young lad
09-08-2005, 11:21 PM
you went to interlaken?

GIT!

wife went there a few years ago with her mate and loved it

was planning on going there earlier this year but decided that it was too far to go in a week

so we went to chamonix instead :)

Donovan
18-12-2005, 09:29 PM
The back ground is very very beautiful , I cannot wait to see this..

*dies*

triniVr4
20-12-2005, 12:45 AM
longing to go there..

Wouter
20-12-2005, 08:50 AM
Absolutly stunning! :thumbsup:

You See
20-12-2005, 09:06 AM
absolutely stunning

Absolutly stunning!

hhmmm :inquisiti /pan

venomboy
20-12-2005, 10:16 AM
That has to be the neatest country in the world, they seem to have mowed the countryside in one pic!
VB

Physician
20-12-2005, 10:28 AM
That has to be the neatest country in the world, they seem to have mowed the countryside in one pic!
VB

Heh! Yes, I thought that also Venom.

The second picture shows my car parked in a shopping area. I went into a shop immediately on the left of my car (as viewed) and was browsing. When I had reached the rear of the shop there was a huge window with that panoramic view of the lake and manicured lawns. What a great shop in which to be a sales assistant!

pezza
20-12-2005, 10:45 AM
Yep the scenery is perfect calendar/ slideshow/ screensaver material... *hint* :D

WildCards
20-12-2005, 05:08 PM
VB

Just don't drive too fast /pan

Donovan
20-12-2005, 08:28 PM
How far is this place from RAF Lakenheath , afb ?

Kieran
21-12-2005, 01:05 AM
How far is this place from RAF Lakenheath , afb ?

Those piccies are from Richard's jaunt into europe! :embarasse The rolling hills of Switzerland and Germany I think?! :inquisiti

Mind you, some parts of the UK can be nearly as good - lots of nice roads in Wales (if you can avoid the dreaded 'Talivan' :embarasse ).

The Lake District is also very picturesque - if not perhaps as dramatic. Haweswater springs to mind - went to a Soarer Meeting there earlier in the summer - in fact having googled, we stayed here:

http://www.haweswaterhotel.com/index2.html

Mind you, this is about 270 miles away from you in Lakenheath! :embarasse

Perhaps someone with better knowledge of that area could suggest some good sights to see? My geography is terrible!!! :embarasse

Donovan
21-12-2005, 06:57 PM
What the hell 270 miles... man , I guess thats out of the picture..
Do you guys have alot of street racing going on.. and how are the cops about that , if you get caught..

and nice scenary in that photo also

Kieran
21-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Do you guys have alot of street racing going on.. and how are the cops about that , if you get caught..

Not really, other than the occasional Chav in a Nova/Sao/whatever. You tend to get 'Cruises', and there's usually a heavy police prescence, and quite rightly IMO - bloody hooligans!

Donovan
22-12-2005, 11:21 PM
Not really, other than the occasional Chav in a Nova/Sao/whatever. You tend to get 'Cruises', and there's usually a heavy police prescence, and quite rightly IMO - bloody hooligans!

so you all really dont do street racing? , persay.. but you just catch a race here and there and the cops are heavy on the streets?