PDA

View Full Version : Twin Exhausts and Headers setup

bradc
10-08-2005, 07:55 AM
Big thanks to Lance, Allbeitmine and all the guys at pitstop newmarket for doing this work to my car. The whole setup is 2.5" from the turbos to a 3" section down the middle, then another split into the two mufflers. Sorry for having no pics of the actual mufflers, I'll have some up tomorrow.

It is a little loud at 2500rpm when cruising, I'll install the silencers at some point and see how it goes. I'm also intending to have a dyno done on the car again to see how much power this setup gives.

bradc
10-08-2005, 08:14 AM
Just a couple more pics

AllBeItMine
10-08-2005, 08:32 AM
what did the seatothepantsometre tell you about the setup on the way home?

oh and don't thank me, i didn't touch the car.

bradc
10-08-2005, 08:36 AM
yeah, but you told me about them all down there.

I didn't get much chance on the way home, there was too much traffic. I blew away a Jag S type V8 though ;) It does feel like there is a bit more power, especially at 5000rpm and above.

bradc
11-08-2005, 10:07 AM
some more pictures, this time concentrating on the tips.

You See
11-08-2005, 10:40 AM
The piping at the split sits pretty low....give it 2 weeks max before it hits on something!..especially when you lower it.

bradc
11-08-2005, 10:45 AM
it isn't actually that bad, the picture makes it look quite low though. It will be lowered tomorrow, so I'll put up some more pics then, and measure the height of the exhaust.

AllBeItMine
11-08-2005, 07:24 PM
The piping at the split sits pretty low....give it 2 weeks max before it hits on something!..especially when you lower it.

at its lowests point (coming around the dif) its about an inch from the underside of the car. that point is also direction between the wheels as well so its not going to hit anything unless brad takes to driving over speed bumps sideways for fun.

bradc
11-08-2005, 08:41 PM
I'll be bringing in my car again today to get those springs fitted. I just measured it, and the exhaust is 105mm from the ground, which isn't really that low, as Allbeitmine said, it is basically right in the middle of the rear wheels, unless I go over speed bumps sideways it would be difficult to hit it.

dreamer
12-08-2005, 12:08 AM
Looks wicked Brad.

Is the car noticably louder? What kind of tone does it have? - try and describe the sound with words.... vrrrrrrrrmmmm, or ROAR psst, ROARRRRR psssst.

I want to change mine, to something very similar to yours, but I've already got the HKS Titanium exhaust and tip, which is tuned for the VR4. Don't know if I'll end up loosing power doing what you've done.

Also, did Pitstip supply the mufflers/tips, or did you get them else where.

Keen as mustard to get mine done.

My cars already low, and bottoms out on the country roads at speed and te gearbox/underbelly gets caught on most driveways, so I'm not too worried about adding big fu(k-off pipes!

Nice job on your car, see you at the next meet.

Jono

i3ooyah
12-08-2005, 12:55 AM
well that last pic looks pretty damn sexxy dude

how much all up?

dreamer
12-08-2005, 01:26 AM
well that last pic looks pretty damn sexxy dude

how much all up?

Just what I was thinking... but I was too polite to ask :P

i3ooyah
12-08-2005, 01:47 AM
if he doesnt wanna say i'll give pitstop a call for inside info :P

bradc
12-08-2005, 01:51 AM
$1550 incl GST, everything is from pitstop, that price also includes installing my springs. Pitstop gives discounts to clubvr4 members, so if you aren't a member it will cost you more!

The noise is a loud drone at 1000-2400rpm, which I find barely tolerable, but from 2400-3000rpm the noise almost completely goes away, which is really handy because my car sits at 2500rpm at 108kph. Above 3000rpm it goes ballistic and sounds like a race car. I love the sound at higher revs.

For the headers only you are looking at about $600 from memory, this will go take out the catalytic converter as well, you could consider that an option dreamer.

I'm going to a dyno next month again to see how much power I get, do you guys want to come? I think the next meet looks like it will be gokarting, so the next dyno day could be our next mini meet? KiwiTT came along to meet me last time, so a dyno day meet would be cool.

SGHOM
12-08-2005, 10:27 PM
The noise is a loud drone at 1000-2400rpm, which I find barely tolerable,.
I know where you're coming from !! /yes I have no silencers in mine !! :rolleyes4 3" straight through :thumbsup: :smug:

dreamer
14-08-2005, 08:48 PM
How does the exhaust look now that it's lowered?

I had a decent look at my exhuast on Saturday, 3" from Cat back, 1 resonator, and 1 x HKS dragster striaght through muffler.

Thought "Stuff it" and cut off the muffler, and welded on my Stainless steel straight through cannon. It has made the car so much more enjoyable to drive.

Thanks Brad for the incentive.

Soon I'll get new stainless headers, full 3" Stainless steel exhaust, no cat, 1 Coby and the 2 Cannons hanging out the back. I'm getting "Turbs Work" to do the work for me. Once they've done mine, they'll price it up, make a template of mounting points etc, and offer CVR4 members a discounted rate.

Turbs Work will be doing all my fabrication work, also looking at putting a moon roof from a wrecked wagon into my car at Christmas time / New Year.

When their website's done, I'll put a link up in the members area for discounts etc. Oh, sorry for the highjack!

bradc
15-08-2005, 03:34 AM
no problem. you should talk to Lance at pitstop as well, he does very good work too, and if you come down there you can always talk to allbeitmine and me ;)

bradc
18-08-2005, 07:53 AM
measured the exhaust height from the ground now that it has been lowered, it is now 80mm from the ground at the lowest point.

marmel31
18-08-2005, 08:12 AM
measured the exhaust height from the ground now that it has been lowered, it is now 80mm from the ground at the lowest point.

The lowest legal limit for any part of your vehicle other than the mudflaps is 100mm isn't it? How will you get on at your next WOF?

bradc
18-08-2005, 08:24 AM
I don't have a clue ;) If it fails I'll get pitstop to modify it, it it possible to lift it up a little bit.

AllBeItMine
18-08-2005, 08:49 AM
do what i do and get your warrants at pitstop

dickytim
18-08-2005, 08:55 AM
100mm from the lowest structual point actually, the exhaust is not structual.

bradc
18-08-2005, 10:13 AM
I was thinking there might be an allowance for things like exhausts and suspension components.

Allbeitmine, you might want to remove that, you never know who is watching ;)

AllBeItMine
18-08-2005, 10:31 AM
i'm just saying the work pitstop did - they know is within the legal limits including the noise limit, the ground clearance limit etc etc. they wouldn't have done it otherwise.

and they don't give dodgey warrants AT ALL. but they know their own work and it means you wont have an old ltsa tester looking at you funny. even though its still legal

bradc
18-08-2005, 11:05 AM
hehe ok cool. They are probably the closest place to me anyway. My warrant is still 3 months away anyway. hopefully I'll have a complete air intake, piping, and intercooler done by then too

dickytim
18-08-2005, 07:55 PM
I was thinking there might be an allowance for things like exhausts and suspension components.

Allbeitmine, you might want to remove that, you never know who is watching ;)

like I said exhaust is not structual, the only other rule with that is that it cannot touch the ground when you have a flat tyre, the suspension however is structual and cannot be lower than 100mm

bradc
20-08-2005, 11:30 AM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=90802

richy rich
20-08-2005, 11:48 AM
what mufflers have you had fitted

You See
20-08-2005, 11:56 AM
I'd say R.P.S mufflers :smug:

bradc
20-08-2005, 12:19 PM
They are RPS mufflers which are a brand pitstop has. I know very little about them. They are of course a straight through design.