PDA

View Full Version : A Hello to you all and a question?

L6
10-08-2005, 08:53 AM
Hi and hello every one.

I have been looking out for a VR4 for a couple of years and in the mean time ended up with a IS200SE which is ok but not what I was after.

Well I have the finances and clean point free licence and am again on the look out.

I have spotted a VR4 on a 2001 plate but am assured by the dealer, its lack of AYC and Traction control is down to the first owners request from new.

Has any one heard or seen a true VR4 type S (Face lift) with out AYC and Traction?? Or is he having me over and its really disconected or broken? /help :rolleyes4

bradc
10-08-2005, 09:07 AM
look under the rear bumper on the right hand side, there should be a black box there with some metal tubes running from it. That is the AYC box.

I know someone with a facelift VR-4 without AYC or TC, but that was an NZ new model, and those were Type V's. That is a 2001 car as well.

Nick Mann
10-08-2005, 09:45 AM
There are type V's in the UK. There are many facelifts without traction control - my type S doesn't have it. A type V probably won't have the plastic wheel arch extensions either. The dashboard shouldn't say AYC on it, if it does then something else is awry.

A type V has all the power of a type S and less weight due to the limited slip rear diff in place of the AYC. Plus lower repair bills if anything goes wrong! Its a case of weighing up the pros and cons.

Good luck!

L6
10-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks for your quick responses guys, to bradc and Nick Mann. I am off to look at it tomorrow PM so I will keep an eye out for the rear black box and the pipes as well as the dash AYC Logo. The Dealer ensures me it is a type S and he has known the previous owner from when the car was new. It Originally lived up it the High lands. So I will check out as much paper work as he says he has and see what I come up with.

Again

Thanks

TimM

Brunty
10-08-2005, 11:11 AM
If you post which garage the car is in someone might have already seen it and could give you a heads up - I have done this with a car I viewed not so long ago, two heads are better than one kinda thing.

Goodluck

Physician
10-08-2005, 11:58 AM
So I will check out as much paper work as he says he has and see what I come up with.

Again

Thanks

TimM

Hi Tim,

Not sure exactly how much you know about the VR4 and in particular the AYC system. As Nick said previously it's a matter of weighing up the pros and cons but I do believe many of us would say that you should get a VR4 WITH AYC.

Personally, I was amazed at the ability of the car to put down power SAFELY both on corners and in the wet due to the AYC and ASC systems. I have since confirmed these feelings on track in the wet when very few other cars could outpace the VR4 and I was overtaking most purely due to the AYC/ASC and 4 x 4. (Admitted that in the dry it's a slightly different matter.)

Good luck with the hunting.

L6
12-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Hi ,Ive been off to drive the baby and I am impressed.

The car is from IPS and is currently sitting at the top of the auto trader price list.

Checked it all over and its le git, it doesn't have AYC nor traction and its one of the latest to enter the uk on a 2001 "51" plate.

The only reservation I had was it was cloth and I wanted Leather but its not the normal two tone flec and I will grow to like it.

As for the handling it's spot on but the roads were dry so yet to experience wet. I am picking it up next Sun I can not wait.

PS : I got my Insurance from LIFESURE and can not fault them, I still have'nt gotten over the shock of the price.

I am in london with 6 years no claims (full no claims) and their price fully comp with liftime protected is only £650 also free legal and an amazing Excess of only £250 I also tried High Performance Insurance. They had a total of £620 but an excess of £350 So I went with LIFESURE and promised to mention them. (I am 30 years so you can guage how low lifsure's price is)

I will keep my Mod's posted online, the first are LPG underseal and wax Oill, to be followed by HKS bits- Super drager and induction kit as well as a sequential dump valve.

Cheers for all your comments and help

I will post some pic's when its in on my driveway as I am told there is only four of these 2001 monsters in the UK

TimM

Nick Mann
12-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Congrats! Sounds like a type V. Is the interior a grey/black combo?

Not sure how they got to the number 4. I guess they could be right if they are talking about the 51 plate.

Look forward to the pictures!

wirdy
12-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Good news - another enthusiast :thumbsup:

I don't suppose it's a manual is it?? If it was you could sit there at any meeting with an absolutely HUGE humble pie to give out slices to anyone with auto gearbox AND AYC problems. /yes :2thumbsup

Spirit
12-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Hi Tim

Welcome to CVR4 and congratulation on your purchase. Also, glad to see Lifesure was your choice of insurer, they are the preferred of many VR4 owners - particularly modified ones.

With regards to modifications, I noted your comments about the HKS bits.

Firstly, you may struggle to now get a Super Drager for the VR4 - HKS have ceased making them for our car and I'm not sure there are any left unless you get one from Japan maybe ?

Secondly, with regards to the induction - have a hunt around on here. There are pros and cons for changing the original set up....mainly due to heat soak, therefore I would recommend you read some of the comments/posts and make your own mind up.

Anyhow, look forward to seeing some pics, and your first investment should be £20 to join as a full member and have access to lots of advice/tips/discounts :thumbsup:

Wodjno
13-08-2005, 12:01 AM
Welcome Tim .. That's an awesome price you have from Lifesure. :2thumbsup

As for No Traction Control and No AYC, I would swap you tomorrow for No AYC, Cos i personally think it kills the thrill factor of the VR4.. I'd love to get my Leggy Out Sideways round corners and roundabouts more thn i already do, but the AYC is always fighting it.. I'm not saying it can't be done as i have had it out there 4 wheel drifting on many occasion. But it has to be wet and at speeds far in excess of that you would need in a rear wheel drive car. And if you want it out in the dry then ( stick your head between your knees and PRAY..
Anyway, sounds like a great car and good luck .. :thumbsup:

Sulli
13-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Isn't the Type V 240 BHp, single turbo?
What did you nd up paying for it, and is it a saloon?

bernmc
13-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Isn't the Type V 240 BHp, single turbo?
What did you nd up paying for it, and is it a saloon?
No, it's 280BHP twin turbo without AYC and TCL. Specs here (http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/19601/).

Sulli
13-08-2005, 03:09 PM
You're right mate, I was thinking of the ST-T.
All this deisel is dulling my brain :rolleyes4

bernmc
13-08-2005, 03:38 PM
...incidently Stu, that white leggie you mentioned in cov - I think that was an ST-T...

Kieran
13-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Legnum ST-T? :inquisiti There isn't such a model - At least not from the factory... There was the ST and the ST-R, but no ST-T..... The only turbocharged 8G galant (excluding the Euro-spec diesel) was the VR-4. :inquisiti

paulmc
13-08-2005, 06:18 PM
sounds a cracking motor, no AYC = more fun less weight can only be good :2thumbsup

Sulli
13-08-2005, 06:24 PM
There's a single turbo Galant, 2.5 (I think it's an St-T or St-R) in Leicester - mate of the bloke from auto-couture, who has had a VR4 for sale for nearly a year :inquisiti

bradc
13-08-2005, 10:09 PM
I've never seen an ST-T, there are tons of ST and ST-R over here in NZ though. The ST-R comes with a 6A13 non turbo producing about 125kw, 168hp. They are also 4WD. Definately no turbo. Lets google :D

L6
21-08-2005, 08:14 PM
Hi all, I am back from Holl's and have my new motor.

It's in good condition bar a few nose paint chips now touched up by dealer and two small pin dents also done.

As soon as I have time I will post some pic's and I will soon be a paid up member.

The car is a twin turbo and handels well hope to soon get to a rolling road to find real spec on power output rather than quoting estimates.

Still no wet yet but I am sure with lovely british weather it wont't be long.
I am impressed with the interior as the centre console isn't wood veneer its in grey, and chrome around shifter. MD single disc inc sounds ok but soon to swap for a sony 10 disc and DVD system and replace my Caliber Amps- 3 @ 800w RMS each and a few subs for good luck.

My first task is the under seal and poss then wax oill to stop the bottom rusting, only slight at the moment but with my excursions to Cornwall and Wales I will need the protection.

Cheers

TimM

bernmc
21-08-2005, 10:14 PM
I am impressed with the interior as the centre console isn't wood veneer its in grey, and chrome around shifter.
Sounds like you might have a Super VR4 there - does it have recaros and red carpets? Get some pics up soon - it may be one of only three in the country that we know about...

Nick Mann
21-08-2005, 10:23 PM
No, Bern - not a super VR4. They were 1998, this is 2001. It is a type V, with the grey/black interior. I think the interior of that car is possibly the best of all VR4's!

Looking forward to the piccies.

Spirit
21-08-2005, 10:28 PM
Congrats mate, and on one of your excursions to Cornwall be sure to give me a shout and we can meet for a chinwag - I live in Plymouth :thumbsup: