PDA

View Full Version : Damn awkward misubishi CV joints...

bernmc
11-08-2005, 07:33 PM
After my wonderful day here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10392), my car is due for a rerun at VMTP tomorrow. Had the day off today :thumbsup: so thought I'd replace the split CV gaiter. Toddled off to my local Caruser and got one of those split gaiters that you put on and glue together. I've used these a few times before, and they're a fiddle, but it's still easier than pulling the drive shaft.

What I didn't count on is bl00dy mitsubishi being ffing awkward, and instead of having a normal round CV housing, they've got this stupid scalloped thing:

bernmc
11-08-2005, 07:36 PM
The split gaiters are for the normal round CV joints /help . Only realised this when I'd cut the old one off...

Anyway, had the cunning plan of triming the top section of the old gaiter as in the pick below, fiting this to the CV joint, and then fitting the new gaiter over this to get a decent seal. A couple of cable ties later, and bodge-job done!

Just hope the durn thing lasts!

Must say that the access to the gaiter is the best of all the cars I've done this too - no trouble at all.