PDA

View Full Version : UK braided brake lines

dickytim
14-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Guys, I have a spare set of these coming from the UK, (thanks Polarbear), I was getting these for someone else but that appears to have fallen thru, I am asking $120, which is exactly what they cost me, I will send them anywhere around the country for free, they will be avalible when Kenny gets back from the UK. Please post up your interest.

BTW they have a clear sheith over them.

Richard.

Pete M
14-08-2005, 10:21 PM
I found with some motorcycle brake lines that:
1. They have to have a NZ or UK standard number on them
2. The must be crimped or pressed, not screwed together.

Fortunately, I had retained the original equipment lines from my bike and was able to have them copied. The law was changed a couple of years ago and now excludes the screw together teflon/braided lines that were once popular.

I'm sure yours are ok, but WOF inspectors are getting more fussy all the time.

i3ooyah
15-08-2005, 02:36 AM
ooo interesting

dickytim
15-08-2005, 06:29 AM
These lines are DOT approved so according to the wording of the legislation should be legal.

bradc
15-08-2005, 07:48 AM
I still don't understand how braided brake lines are supposed to help anything....

dickytim
15-08-2005, 08:15 AM
go to www.racebrakes.co.nz there is some really good articles on there, basically this is an upgrade which complements the others you have done to your brakes, The done expand or contract as much as normal rubber ones, this along with good high quality brake fluid and the right pads can reduce fade to a greater degree than the other mods alone

Polabear
15-08-2005, 02:36 PM
I still don't understand how braided brake lines are supposed to help anything....

Because being teflon tube they do not expand under pressure like normal rubber hoses do,(even more so as they get older and more perished) therefore giving you a firmer more solid brake pedal and better breaking, all the force goes down the line to the caliper pistons and not out of the sides of the break line..... /duh

wirdy
15-08-2005, 06:33 PM

all the above, plus you'll never again fail an MOT for flexi brake lines perished / cracked. They also make a good first impression with the MOT man. (& they look good through your alloys) :thumbsup:

dickytim
15-08-2005, 07:50 PM
Wirdy, here in NZ we can fail because for braided brake lines for our WOF, but only if they don't comply with the DOT standards, there is an incorrect perception, even umungst inspectors that they are illegal outrigth but if you go in with the piece of legislation the can be legal, 1 if they are designed for street use, 2 if the carry a relivent standard, 3 if they are not perished or defective.

wirdy
15-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Wirdy, here in NZ we can fail because for braided brake lines for our WOF, but only if they don't comply with the DOT standards, there is an incorrect perception, even umungst inspectors that they are illegal outrigth but if you go in with the piece of legislation the can be legal, 1 if they are designed for street use, 2 if the carry a relivent standard, 3 if they are not perished or defective.

When you see them I think you'll agree they're very good quality. The equal of Goodridge lines at double the price.

What would be a 'relevant standard' for your WOF? Do they have to be pressure tested before fitting? - that would be easy - any hydraulic hose shop have pressure testers & could issue a test certificate, but to what pressure???

Let's face it, these lines are the same used in aircraft hydraulic systems operating at 270 Bar :rolleyes4 that must be good enough for your testers over there. /yes

tig202
16-08-2005, 01:30 AM
Here is a piccy of a set of braided hoses supplied kindly by Polabear, these are for a VR4 with brembos front and rear but you should get an idea of the quality :thumbsup:

tig202
16-08-2005, 02:09 AM
Heres a closer view of one of the fitments

-LegnumVR4-
16-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Guys, I have a spare set of these coming from the UK, (thanks Polarbear), I was getting these for someone else but that appears to have fallen thru, I am asking $120, which is exactly what they cost me, I will send them anywhere around the country for free, they will be avalible when Kenny gets back from the UK. Please post up your interest.

BTW they have a clear sheith over them.

Richard.

I"m interested...

Are these ones design for the standard setup or the brembos? How much of a difference is there between the 2 sets?

I was keen to get some awhile ago but didn't have the coin due to the next car show coming up.

Polabear
16-08-2005, 05:10 PM
I"m interested...

Are these ones design for the standard setup or the brembos? How much of a difference is there between the 2 sets?

I was keen to get some awhile ago but didn't have the coin due to the next car show coming up.

Rhys
The set that you see in the pics above of tig202's setup are for brembo's but the set that dickytim has are for std Legnum...

dickytim
16-08-2005, 07:47 PM
As Polarbear said, they are for the standard VR4 brakes

-LegnumVR4-
16-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Is it the length of the rear ones that is different?

Polabear
17-08-2005, 09:32 AM
Is it the length of the rear ones that is different?

Fronts are longer Rhys +2" :thumbsup:

Louis
18-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Hi, Sorry to jump in ans ask, but is the 2" in length the only difference or is the fitting for thr brembo caliper different to the fitting for the original mitsy one?, cheers

Polabear
18-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Hi, Sorry to jump in ans ask, but is the 2" in length the only difference or is the fitting for thr brembo caliper different to the fitting for the original mitsy one?, cheers

Fittings for Brembo rear's have a right angle banjo fitting, and +2" on the length of the fronts Louis...... :thumbsup:

Kenneth
21-10-2005, 01:57 AM
bump

Anyone interested in these? I have them at the moment.

Bad news is that while Polabear has assured me they ARE in fact DOT aproved, they do NOT have and DOT markings on them.

They do look very good though, and I for one will be putting a set on my car. Lol, i wont be going to VTNZ for WOF though ;)

As dickytim stated, $120 a set which is what was paid for them. if no response, I will put them on trademe.

You See
21-10-2005, 02:22 AM
hhmmm..... /Hmmm
...Should I, Shouldn't I??...

Kenneth
21-10-2005, 03:28 AM
hhmmm..... /Hmmm
...Should I, Shouldn't I??...

Of course you should... Join the real men with braided brake lines! which as far as I know will be myself and dickytim (in NZ). :joker:

Don't know if Richard has installed his yet though. I plan on doing mine after WOF so that they have a year to look like they came with the car from Japan /Hmmm

You See
21-10-2005, 03:35 AM
Well how could I say no after that convincing arguement.....gimme gimme gimme!
Just to confirm, these will be fine for standard brakes on Galants and Leggies?

Kenneth
21-10-2005, 03:38 AM
Well how could I say no after that convincing arguement.....gimme gimme gimme!
Just to confirm, these will be fine for standard brakes on Galants and Leggies?

Yep, they even have all the washers and stuff IIRC.

dickytim
21-10-2005, 06:14 AM
mine will be installed when I do the discs and the pads probably early next year :)

Will put some expensive (ie. good) fluid in at the same time.

nutrok
21-10-2005, 06:31 AM
do u hav ne otha sets?

You See
21-10-2005, 06:40 AM
mine will be installed when I do the discs and the pads probably early next year :)

Will put some expensive (ie. good) fluid in at the same time.

Yep....that's what I've got planned as well....Either going for Green Stuff or Ferodo's...Guys at Race Brakes recommended the Ferodo's with good fluids.

You See
21-10-2005, 06:41 AM
do u hav ne otha sets?
hahaha...Betcha to it! ....advantages of pulling a sicky, not to mention having a 4 day weekend.... :evil2:

dickytim
21-10-2005, 06:43 AM
was looking at Mintex pads, Znoelli discs and Castrol SRF fluid.

You See
21-10-2005, 06:56 AM
Got a price of Znoelli for their discs a coupla months back, something like $350 for front and another $350 for rears....less discount for getting the full set.
Let us know when you're ready for them, see if we can get even more of a discount. :thumbsup:

dickytim
21-10-2005, 07:14 AM
I have a good discount myself ;)

Kenneth
21-10-2005, 07:21 AM
I should be in for some rotors and pads too!
:thumbsup: /Steeringw

i see a meet early next year :chugchug:

Louis
21-10-2005, 09:17 AM
HI,
Are both sets of these spoken for then??, as I am interested.

ghanda
21-10-2005, 09:52 AM
If you speak to the nice men at Exact Engineering (01803 866464) for £48.18 all in, they'll send you a nice complete set with coloured sheathing of your choice.

Polabear
21-10-2005, 10:00 AM
was looking at Mintex pads, Znoelli discs and Castrol SRF fluid.

For Synthetic brake fluid a couple of us here in the uk are using Motul RBF 600 which is equal to and cheaper than the Castrol stuff, there is a very good writeup on it in a thread here search for synthetic brake fluid and go to Physicians thread (brake fluids).

Also I would like to take this opportunity to to apologise to the guy's from NZ who purchased the hose sets from myself, sorry to Kenneth for not getting back to him but with more surgery, moving house and stuff things got sort of side tracked, regarding the DOT approval, these hoses have UK DOT, US and German TUV approval for them, I personally have used both these and Goodridge hoses on at least 5 cars of mine and none of them have ever had any kind of stamp, tag or anything else attached to them stating the above, it would appear that your DOT are extremely paranoid regarding things like this, and as for having to have the ends crimped in place show me how many race teams have their ends crimped in place, you won't find many at all due to the time factor involved in changing a damaged hose, in fact Ian at Extreme Engineering where these kits came from sent sets to germany for TUV approval (who are probably the most stringent transport approval authority, certainly in europe) on their test rig the hoses and fittings not only met their pullout standards but doubled it before they brought the test to an end, so have no fear about your connections parting company with the hoses, I also know that these same hoses are supplied to some of the major sports car companies.

-LegnumVR4-
23-10-2005, 04:27 AM
Is there anyway of getting some thing in writing to prove to the anal NZ testing stations that these brake lines are fine?

I would like a set for my Brembos, do u know when there will be another run of them?

Cheers,
Rhys