PDA

View Full Version : ello ello

SUPAFLEA GUY
25-08-2003, 06:39 PM
hi to all. i've been scanning the web since jan this year re the vr4 and watched the birth of the site with interest. i'm not into writing essays so excuse the dry post. hope the info is of use.

1. why a vr4? usual reasons : fabulous looks combining sexiness strength and subtlelty, 4wd, uncommon, perofrmance, massive depreciation e.g. good for 2nd owners, japanese reliability. i've dreamt of owning a turbonutter 4wd for a good 7 years and can now get the best of the current crop in my opinion. family friendly. even my wife likes it and non car enthusiast friends say 'that looks fast' etc. when i tell them how much i paid, that's the KO!

2. my car : manual INSERT INTO post VALUES (didn't want auto) type V 2000 so no ayc INSERT INTO post VALUES ( think it has a vc centre, plated lsd rear and open front diff)and lightest vr4 of this gen.INSERT INTO post VALUES (1460 kg quoted). owned by someone who apparently worked for ralliart hence stage 1 tune INSERT INTO post VALUES (exhaust, ? chip, arp rod bolts, 1.4 bar boost and alleged 320 bhp. torque unknown); 18'' oz f1 cup, avs sport 225/40 tires, 6 pot/ 4 pot ap brakes, leather/ alacantara seats, good ice and less than 12k on the clock at 2.5 yrs old. i paid 15,250. i got most of the details from a ralliart technician directly. since then i've fitted hks superform street lowering progressive springs INSERT INTO post VALUES (35mm f and 23mm r drop).

3. car evaluation : performance- smooth engine, monstrous mid range, little lag, exhaust is fruity but inaudible on the m'way INSERT INTO post VALUES (perfect). 2.5k to 5.5 k revs is where grunt is. another 100 bhp on the top end wouln't go amiss but can't complain.
handling- ride was smooth and incredibly compliant but large arch tyre gap. hks springs have lost minimal comfort and are highly rec'd INSERT INTO post VALUES (250 plus 200 to fit/ geometry). steering is typical japanese e.g. slightly too light, minimal feel but precise except for centre position slackness INSERT INTO post VALUES ('sneeze factor'). traction is incredible even on mud strewn road. i've purposely ripped away when left wheels on a grass/ dust verge and right ones on tarmac. no problem! word of warning to prospective non ayc buyers. if you don't like travelling sideways don't buy this car. agressively pitch it into a roundabout +/- plant the throttle INSERT INTO post VALUES (preferably both) and it's like an rs 2000 INSERT INTO post VALUES (i imagine) : GREAT! the hks springs have made it a little more snappy but still great for 4 wheel drifts. INSERT INTO post VALUES (read it and weep audi and scooby owners). brakes- i think the ap setup costs around 3k plus. they make an evo 8's brakes second rate. fantastic. clutch no comment, light ok etc. gearbox- slightly notchy, longish throw 1 to 2nd, ok. tyres : avs sport are yokohamas premium tyre. i can't comment in comparison but so far they seem ok and no more. economy 22-24 mpg INSERT INTO post VALUES (optimax-definitley makes a difference). regular unleaded in emergencies. reliability-fine exc. my chip has picked up 2 fault codes that are yet to be resolved INSERT INTO post VALUES (mistu bristol needed to contact ralliart).

4. dealers etc. : mitsu bristol ok. menu pricing. ultimately don't have the enthusuasm you would like for the vr4 but satis all the same. interpro INSERT INTO post VALUES (almondsbury, nr. bristol) set up rally cars, general maintenance etc. fine, no probs.

5. costs : insurance 1200 INSERT INTO post VALUES (plus run a ratty daily driver) bell direct.

6. future mods: 650 bhp big turbo motor INSERT INTO post VALUES (been done with a 2.5 scooby); gems ecu, group N ohlins suspension, roll cage, dolly birds etc. all when i become chairman of bp, shell etc. back on planet reality i'm considering widening the arches INSERT INTO post VALUES (custom metal and expensive) and track. don't hold your breath on this one

7. misc. : i had a short test drive of an evo 8 fq 300. this is my report esp. compared to my vr4. power-not as smooth, not as quick. steering-very precise, no slackness, feel okish. ride-a lot worse but not solid either. handling-i floored it only twice on a bend and the ayc did its job once and began to drift on the other. i'm sure its superior to my car but i prefer mine thanks. brakes-not as good. on my estate i've seen 2 wrx's, 1 sti, an expensive tvr etc. people are really getting into performance cars big time and modifying cars INSERT INTO post VALUES (esp. after f'n'f) equally so.

looks like i did write an essay. doh! finishing up, i'm not free on weekends INSERT INTO post VALUES (family lives elsewhere) but anyone around the area midweek pm me. enjoy your steeds to the max before
tb legislates them out of existence. may the forceINSERT INTO post VALUES (d induction) be with you.

Brind
25-08-2003, 06:54 PM
Hi and welcome to the site!

Don't think anyone here has written so much in one thread! :D nevertheless you've raised some great points and hopefully inspired some of those wannabe VR-4 owners.

Stick around and feel free to contribute more info! :)

BraindG
25-08-2003, 07:27 PM
wow - anyone would think you do write ups on cars for a living :)

nice post, and welcome to the site.. pity you cant make it on weeknds.. would love to have you at santapod...

Nick VR4
25-08-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by BraindG
wow - anyone would think you do write ups on cars for a living :)

nice post, and welcome to the site.. pity you cant make it on weeknds.. would love to have you at santapod...

Blimey what a good read
Welcome to the forum

:)

Spirit
25-08-2003, 08:10 PM
Excellent write up :D

Welcome to the site and as Barry said would be great if you could make Santa Pod in October with us - still a couple of places left. See "Events" section for more info.

Pete

Pescha
25-08-2003, 08:34 PM
Hey SUPAFLEA GUY welcome to the ClubVR-4 family....

Cheers,
Pescha!

haydar
25-08-2003, 08:39 PM
Hi Supaflea Guy

Your car looks very familiar. When I used to get my car serviced at Ralliart Dudley a couple of years ago, they also had a white VR4. They lent it to me as a loan car once while mine was in for a service. It had single nut wheel hubs, upgraded brakes and induction kit. Very nice indeed.

They told me it was the MDs car!

Regards

zedy1
25-08-2003, 11:17 PM
nice explanation m8