PDA

View Full Version : vibration

shane
18-08-2005, 06:30 PM
i hope u guys can help my 97 galant vibrates between 60 and 75 quite bad above 75 nothing vibrates any ideas ?? /help

bernmc
18-08-2005, 07:02 PM
wheel balancing

SGHOM
18-08-2005, 07:09 PM
or tracking. /yes

shane
18-08-2005, 07:11 PM
no mate just had two new tyres and it only vibrates when accelerating

bernmc
18-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Worth getting the balancing rechecked then - they should do it for free if the tyres are new. Otherwise sounds like driveshaft/CV joint...?

Kieran
18-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Or Propshaft bearing if it's coming from the centre of the car. Check your transfer and diff oil levels too.

Pescha
19-08-2005, 02:35 AM
NO! its the damper, the shudder only comes once the torque converter is warm and wa la!

Click here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/search.php?searchid=146137) to read up about it... It's a common fault I had it, went and balanced the tryes checked everything but alas still there.... In the end cost nearly $3,000NZ to get it fixed (lucky I had a mechanical insurance!)

Hope this helps,
Pescha!

Kieran
19-08-2005, 08:47 AM
If it is the fault that Pescha's on about (the dreaded 4th gear 'shudder'), then hang fire before shelling out $$$s.... It's just mechanical lock shudder and it's acommon fault in the USA. My VR-4 was doing it, and changing the transmission fluid for the correct specification Mitsubishi fluid, which has the right balance of anti-shudder and friction properties cured the fault.

Pescha
19-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Well when it first happened to me, we only owned the car 30 hours. When we tried to return the car to get fixed, the car yard was very quick to produce the documentation saying we basically signed saying 'as is where is'!

But anyway... we took the car to the local mitsi motors mechanic and they informed us that the damper had split into and we were lucky nothing happened, so we got it fixed, they also explained that this part is extremely weak and by changing the fluids etc only prelongs the enivetable, that eventually the part will become weaker and break totally! Well.... I believed them got it fixed (so I thought) shelled out my $150NZ excess the mechanical insurance paid off memory $310NZ. Later on down the track about 18months later, the car was doing it again, but only worse! So took it to my mechanic (who is an ex mitsi motor mechanic, owns his own place now!) who directed me to a professional transmission place. They informed me that the last job was done by just replacing the oil and not by fixing the damper, and now I had half the damper flying around my internals shattering all the selectors and clutch plates. Hence why it cost $2500NZ to replace and fix! And when I felt this shudder prior to knowing what was wrong, I was an hour and a half away from home, on an open road, travelling up a mountain (known as the Kaimai's for those kiwi's reading this). So I was really really lucky to make it home. I asked the transmission mechanic what was the worse thing that could happen if I didn't get it fixed, his reply was "well u would of stopped and you would of not beable to go anywhere!"

So now it's all fixed, changes beautifully, as its like a brand new transmission with all new internals... no wonder!

And you may ask why didn't I go back to my local mitsi motors to confront them? Well two reasons 1) it's over 18 months ago and 2) it's a he said she said situation......

But at the end of the day it's your own individual choice of what you do, but thought I'd share by story :thumbsup:

Pescha!

shane
19-08-2005, 06:27 PM
had car in today they changed the drive shafts propshaft and all the tyres still vibrates . will not do it when in air, it seems to be from the passanger side foot well /help /help /help /help

shane
20-08-2005, 09:56 AM
NO! its the damper, the shudder only comes once the torque converter is warm and wa la!

Click here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/search.php?searchid=146137) to read up about it... It's a common fault I had it, went and balanced the tryes checked everything but alas still there.... In the end cost nearly $3,000NZ to get it fixed (lucky I had a mechanical insurance!)

Hope this helps,
Pescha!

hi mate the link about the damper, i can not get it to work just comes up with SORRY NOT FOUND do you have another link on the damper THANKS IN ADVANCE /help

Pescha
20-08-2005, 10:05 AM
hi mate the link about the damper, i can not get it to work just comes up with SORRY NOT FOUND do you have another link on the damper THANKS IN ADVANCE /help

Ok go up to the top right next to 'new posts', drop down the search box and either put 'vibration' or 'shudder' and heaps of posts will come up!

Pescha!

shane
21-08-2005, 01:45 PM
i have read all the posts and they all say that the shudder happens at low revs in fourth gear. my sudder happens in all gears at 65-75 mph thanks in advance

psbarham
21-08-2005, 01:55 PM
does it do it on all types of road surfaces ? if not then i would get a mate to ride along behind you to see if one of the dampers has gone , the visual signs will be a wheel going spazzy ,this will make the whole car shake

shane
21-08-2005, 02:06 PM
it dose it on all road sufaces but will give it a go, i will have to get r lass to drive it and hope i can keep up in the van, cheers will let you know results

psbarham
21-08-2005, 02:08 PM
its worth a shot , you never know , the only other thing i can think of is that one of the wheels is buckled slightly , if you can get another set of wheels to try it worth a shot , where abouts are you? there maybe another member nearby who may be able to help out

shane
21-08-2005, 02:15 PM
its worth a shot , you never know , the only other thing i can think of is that one of the wheels is buckled slightly , if you can get another set of wheels to try it worth a shot , where abouts are you? there maybe another member nearby who may be able to help out

they have done that already but cheers mate i am in yorkshire