PDA

View Full Version : Performance mods

enigma
25-08-2003, 08:58 PM
Hi, will be picking up my 99 VR4 Legnum this week and trading in my modified MR2 Turbo. Just wondering if anyone can give me tips on increasing the performance of the legnum to over 300HP quickly and easily. The MR2 had a DIY mod that took 5 mins and increased the boost from 10psi to around 16psi, all for £0.50! :D Obviously I want to keep the MR2 performance INSERT INTO post VALUES (0-60 in 5.2) but with the practicality of the family estate car! Any help or advice would be welcomed!

Big Dave

ps check out my site: www.bigdaveakers.com :cool1:

zedy1
25-08-2003, 11:10 PM
filter and exsaust should boost it over 300bhp

Brind
26-08-2003, 12:02 AM
Dash of methanol will do the trick too.

If you don't care about a warranty bolt on a Nitrous kit from Highpower (http://www.noswizard.com/) and see your car fly to 60 in the mid 4's.

enigma
26-08-2003, 01:27 PM
Thanks for that guys, I am more intersted in getting the turbos to give more boost...........after all I did it for free on the MR2............sorst and filters dont come cheap........nor does the NOS kit INSERT INTO post VALUES (just bought one for my Skoda Estelle and it was about £1000! )

More help always welcome! :D

Brind
26-08-2003, 03:30 PM
A nitrous kit would be the same price as an electonic boost controller or there abouts but the nitrous would be by far more beneficial.
The turbos on the 'Galant' VR-4 and very small! and as far as I know you can't up the boost too far, I believe 13psi is max before fuel cut etc starts happening.
If you can get a cheapy bleed valve you could have a play with it but bare in mind they aren't the safest of things to use and these ain't the cheapest cars to put right. :)

Try methanol.. it's fairly cheap if you want quick spurts!

Ultra VR-4
27-08-2003, 12:43 AM
Spark plugs, leads, air filter.

pjjohnson
27-08-2003, 06:20 PM
Dawes device

calum
27-08-2003, 07:05 PM
What did you do to the MR2 to get the boost up?

Calum

enigma
27-08-2003, 07:16 PM
To get the boost up on the MR2 I installed a fuel cut defencer INSERT INTO post VALUES (the MR2 cuts fuel at about 13psi) which was a zener diode on the pressure sensor to clamp the voltage seen by the ECU. Then to raise the boost I put a restrictorin the wastegate control line so the pressure seen by the wastegate rose more slowly and was less than what was actually being produced. I used a pen lid with a 'carefully calibrated' hole in it! Very simple really, this gave me 3 years and 70000 miles of trouble free grinning! Upped power from 220HP to up around 300HP with just an air filter swap! Looking to do something similar without resorting to an electronic boost controller. Just wondered if anyone had taken the plunge with the VR4? By my reckoning 2 litres and 300HP means 2.5 litres is good for 350HP without trying or stressing the engine too much.

calum
27-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Take it you had a boost gauge to monitor what was going on?

That's sort of what I thought you'd have done - I've got a gt4. Similar idea to drilling out the ECU bleed valve.

The same principle should apply to the vr4, although there's still some debate as to whether the turbos work in parallel or one after t'other - I believe it's parallel. Just one thing - you'll need two pen lids.

I would suggest a relief valve instead, though, 'cos then the wastegate sees no pressure at all until it reaches the desired boost pressure - helps the turbo rise to max pressure more easily. Can cause some side effects, though, like full boost on partial throttle.

Whatever you do, get a boost gauge before you go messing and I wouldn't go over 0.9-1bar unless you have some way of monitoring your air fuel ratio.

Calum

enigma
27-08-2003, 08:55 PM
A boost gauge is first on the list, and the 2 pen lids will hopefully follow!!! :D

I did make an air fuel ratio meter for the MR2, dead easy to do using an LM3914 bar driver from Maplin........only a couple of quid! Then a few LEDs of different colours and you are laughing! A quick simple way of monitoring when you start to lean out.,..........you can even make an audible alarm so you can get out of the throttle quick! :nono:

I wondered about the turbos and how they worked together, until I pick my car up I cant really do much investigation. There seems to be very limited info on modding these super sleepers.........perhaps I see an opportunity here! ;)

Any help and advice is always welcomed, and I will always post my findings:cool:

-LegnumVR4-
28-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Turbosmart E-Boost:bow: