PDA

View Full Version : Car insurance....

Kieran
26-08-2003, 02:08 PM
Time for a (long) story, children. Are we sitting comfortably?...

One bright sunny day, Kieran decides to wash his car, for the 97th time that week.

Whilst he's happilly buffing the paint into middle of next week, he looks his 14" alloys and sighs. The previous owner didn't see the point in cleaning them, with the result that brakedust has etched into them, spoilt the finish, and caused the lacquer to peel. "Hmm!" thinks Kieran. "The previous owner should have cleaned them more often, the cad! I'll ring Mitsubishi and see if I can get replacements."

Later that day, whilst the freshly waxed Galant is blinding the locals and several low-flying planes, Kieran rings up Chris Variava Nottingham. "Good Day!" began Kieran. "I am in need of replacement alloys, my good fellow!"
"Ah! - I'm afraid we have no stock of the 14s, but the 17s are at a very good price at the moment! What about a set of those?" was the reponse.
"Indeed! Why not! I'll let you Know."

Being a reponsible sort of fellow, Kieran rang his insurer (Direct Line); just to check whether fitting Standard Mitsubishi Alloys would make a difference to his premium.
"That will be an extra £129 on your policy, and will push your excess to £700, sir."
"Crivens!" exclaimed a rather unpleasantly surprised Kieran, "But they're just the same as the ones fitted to the 2001 models onwards! Why such a difference? That's not cricket!"
"No sir, it is not cricket! it is a modification. Therefore, we shall put you over a barrel and do something highly rude to you!"

And with that, the call ended.

"Gadzooks! I don't know what to do now!" Thought a rather unhappy Kieran.

When Suddenly, he had an idea... "I bet those friendly bounders at ClubVR4 will be able to help! I'll post a message and see what response I get!"...

So, can any of you suggest a good, Young driver, modification friendly companies, that'll make Kieran a happy chappie and give this story a happy ending?

BraindG
26-08-2003, 02:27 PM
nice story :) 14" wheels?:scared1: thought standards were 16":Ponder:

anyways try
here (http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=634&highlight=insurance)

here (http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=410&highlight=insurance)

and

here (http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86&highlight=insurance)

INSERT INTO post VALUES (sorry for moving post.. more a vr4 question)

Nick VR4
26-08-2003, 03:36 PM
I use these and you get discount if your a member of the MLR
Cost me £635

Pace Ward Financial, 32 Gilman Place, Hanley, Stoke on Trent ST1 3PG
Telephone 01782 286311 Fax 01782 204707 Email Info@PW-F.co.uk

Kieran
26-08-2003, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the links - must remember the 'search' button :)

Re: Wheels...
16" are standard, if you own a VR-4:Cry1: ...

For UK non-VR4 cars, this is the situation INSERT INTO post VALUES (as far as I know)...

1997-1999 models:
2.0 GLS - 14inch
2.5 V6-24 - 15inch

2000-2001 models:
2.0 GLX/GLS - 14inch
2.4 GDI GLS - 15inch
2.5 V6 - 15inch
2.5 V6 Sport 17 inch

2002 models onwards:
All models - 17inch

Brind
26-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Adrian Flux didn't blink when they heard I had non standard wheels... but as for all insurance companies.. they make up new rules as they go along! what might be good for one person is completely out of order for others.

BraindG
26-08-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Kieran

Re: Wheels...
16" are standard, if you own a VR-4:Cry1: ...

oops.. sorry :)

Japmetal
26-08-2003, 08:31 PM
Adrian Flux are also absolute B&"£$%ds when it comes to claiming.

I'm with Herts Insurance Co. They dont have a website, but I'll dig the number out later.

ACS22
03-09-2003, 08:09 PM
I am with tesco and they charge £1680.00 god Knows
what they would want if I added Mods...
and I had to have a tracker fitted!!!:Cry1: