PDA

View Full Version : Security

Physician
20-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Being non-technical (as you know!) - can someone suggest an additional way of 'immobilising' a car.

I'm going to a town in Belgium next week that I'm told has a bad record of car theft.

Whereas I have the usual cat 1 alarm and immobiliser that most of us have, what part of the engine/electrical system can I EASILY remove whilst parking overnight which will positively stop a determined thief from nicking the car - short of loading it on a trailer etc.

(I ain't carrying a wheel, battery etc into a hotel, nor do I want to remove a timing belt, pistons or the like - so forget that! There must be some small unusual component we have that is easy to whip off for the night?)

Thanks for any pearls of wisdom.

Rich >>>>>>>>>> who waits for some ridiculous answers /help

Pescha
20-08-2005, 10:49 AM
Take your car to a auto electrician and ask him/her to put a kill switch into it!

Well thats what I'd do :thumbsup:

Pescha!

You See
20-08-2005, 10:55 AM
Take your car to a auto electrician and ask him/her to put a kill switch into it!

Well thats what I'd do :thumbsup:

Pescha!

Yep, I agree! Even better a reed kill switch. This can be place virtually anywhere, and requires a magnet to be placed near the switch to close the circuit. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kieran
20-08-2005, 12:34 PM
If you fit a battery kill switch, make sure it's one that's got a 20A fused bypass. This will allow enough juice to flow to keep the alarm happy and stop the ECU from being reset, but if someone attempts to start the car, the fuse would blow almost instantly - it takes a hell of a lot of current to start the car!! /yes

Other than that..... if you want crude, then unplug a sensor..... Nick Mann found that the V6-24 had a distributor rather than coils like the VR-4, and if you unplugged the sensor, the engine would crank but not fire. Perhaps unplugging the MAF multiplug would do the same.... But as I say, this is a bit crude and would probably register a fault code in your ECU.... /yes

enigma
20-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Fit an emanage, then remove it when you park the car up! :thumbsup:

Removing the MAF multiplug is a bad idea, it will start and run, so if you forget you may do some damage!

The best thing to do is kill the spark somehow, the engine will crank but not fire. I am sure there must be a simple way of doing this!

SGHOM
20-08-2005, 12:58 PM
A bit short notice I know......... but for future reference, try these !! /yes

http://www.griptech.co.za/auto%20pinlock.htm

press you're key fob, & 15 seconds later the pin fire's & locks you're car in reverse !! :thumbsup:
I have several in my garage ! :embarasse

wirdy
20-08-2005, 01:18 PM
If you want cheap & easy for one-off use then why not just remove fuse 18 from the underbonnet fusebox - it's the 'big mutha' 60amp ignition fuse.........the car ain't going nowhere under it's own power with that baby missing. :thumbsup:

Physician
20-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Great info thanks guys. A bit late to do many of the suggestions but removing that 'big mutha' is a simple and quick solution which will at least add 'some' extra protection.

Many thanks. :thumbsup: