PDA

View Full Version : Is my auto box slipping?

scc
20-08-2005, 11:17 PM
I've recently noticed something odd about my v6 sport.

Normally, 80mph is 3000rpm (auto-ed on 4th)
Recently, I've noticed that its been doing 70mph in 3000rpm, and only after a long while it goes up to 80mph at 3000rpm.

Is there something wrong with the autobox fluids? Or is this normal?

Cheers,
scc

Kieran
20-08-2005, 11:59 PM
I've recently noticed something odd about my v6 sport.

Normally, 80mph is 3000rpm (auto-ed on 4th)
Recently, I've noticed that its been doing 70mph in 3000rpm, and only after a long while it goes up to 80mph at 3000rpm.

Is there something wrong with the autobox fluids? Or is this normal?

Cheers,
scc

Sounds like the mechanical lock-up is being a bit slow.... Do you normally drive quite briskly? THis can affect the lock-up engagement point. Also, check the autobox fluid level. Park up, leave engine running, make sure the 'box is in 'N' and then check the level - should be between the 'HOT' marks on the dipstick.

scc
22-08-2005, 10:21 AM
Sounds like the mechanical lock-up is being a bit slow.... Do you normally drive quite briskly? THis can affect the lock-up engagement point. Also, check the autobox fluid level. Park up, leave engine running, make sure the 'box is in 'N' and then check the level - should be between the 'HOT' marks on the dipstick.

Thanks Kieran. I don't tend to drive the car fast at all, but I don't see how driving at a rapid pace can affect the mechanical lock-up. Is this to do with the invecsII trying to adapt, i.e. more revs at a lower speed incase I need to go go go?

Cheers :thumbsup:
scc

Kieran
22-08-2005, 10:34 AM
Thanks Kieran. I don't tend to drive the car fast at all, but I don't see how driving at a rapid pace can affect the mechanical lock-up. Is this to do with the invecsII trying to adapt, i.e. more revs at a lower speed incase I need to go go go?

Cheers :thumbsup:
scc

Spot on. On my VR-4 and on my old GLS, if you hoofed it for a bit, it would hold gears, and also delay winding-in the mechanical lockup when going back to light throttle- just incase I decided to hoof it again!

Wodjno
22-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Hmm ! Isn't a 1000rpm a bit to much of a difference from non lock to lock up ?
My VR4 does 3200rpm at 80mph until lockup, and then drops to 2950rpm.. thats only 250rpm difference .. And this always takes 9 - 10 miles from cold as i have found out when i drive work instead of going on train. Thats 1 mile of town drivin then straight to 80 on dual carriageway.. /Hmmm

Kieran
22-08-2005, 11:30 AM
Hmm ! Isn't a 1000rpm a bit to much of a difference from non lock to lock up ?.....

Perahps not quite 1000rpm, but it's near to that on my VR-4? :inquisiti Certainly more than 250prm.

Wodjno
22-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Perahps not quite 1000rpm, but it's near to that on my VR-4? :inquisiti Certainly more than 250prm.
Thats the figures i get from mine at 80mph.. 3200rpm until lock-up and then 2950rpm .. And everytime i check it, it always drops between that 9th and 10th mile..
Maybe it would be more of a drop if you were going up a hill at the time lock-up engaged. As the engine would be revving slightly higher.. 1000rpm or close to this does sound a little high though. :inquisiti