PDA

View Full Version : Boost Leak??

michaeli
21-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Hi Guys...

I think I may have a boost leak, on my boost gauge it says around 0.4 bar as standard, is this normal??

I also seem to have less power at higher revs when in reality I should have more?? That is to say it feels like it has less power at higher revs, can't say for sure...

What are the characteristics of a boost leak and how the hell do you find one??

Thanks in advance...

Mike

bradc
21-08-2005, 08:11 PM
The characteristics of a boost leak are basically as you described, a loss in power and boost.

Lots of people talk about the factory recirc blow off causing problems, and that is probably the first thing I would look at. You also might want to inspect the condition of all of the pipes leading from the turbos to intercooler, and then back up to the throttle body.

Kieran
21-08-2005, 08:15 PM
I remember that Polabear had issues a boost leak on that car Mike? I think the dumpvalve hoses had been butchered a bit?? There's a post by sean about it on here somewhere - Might be worth a look? :inquisiti

colVR4
21-08-2005, 10:29 PM
The recirc/dump valve is definately one of the first places to look. I fitted a new replacement recirc valve after I experienced some loss in power and I think that it cured the problem. I cannot tell for sure because I was using a carp (sp) boost gauge from fleabay. My new boost gauge from Halfrauds shows 0.6-0.7 boost with the new valve fitted.

The mitsi valve has a known problem with leaking through the diaphram and is actaully designed to leak as a safety feature. It is a relatively inexpenisve mod that may fix your problem, especially on an older VR4 where the problem may be more pronounced.