PDA

View Full Version : Drive shaft - Differences and Workaround

BraindG
21-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Recently my Passenger Driveshaft died. Which posed a bit of a problem. To buy a new one I would have to fork out around 400 quid, and finding a second hand Manual shaft would prove to be harder than finding a needle in a haystack. So, I was able to get my hands on Auto Shaft, and here are my findings.

Firstly lets have a look at the gearbox end (the hub end is exactly the same, so that doesn't require any attention..)

As you can see from this pic, there are 2 main differences at the Transmission Side.

A - The end is around 4 mm longer on the Auto End
B - No idea what this bit is called, however as you can see it is also about 4mm shorted on the Auto Shaft.

Lets take a closer look at the Ends..

As you can see there is around a 4mm difference between the manual (rightside) and the auto Ends (leftside)

Now, the manual has 4mm added on the shaft itself (Area B) and 4mm off the transmission end. Whereas the Auto has and addition 4mm on the end. So in theory they are the same lenght.

Pushing the Auto shaft into a manual transmission will see a 4mm gap between the transmission and the end of the shaft. Which as you can imagine means the rubber seal isn't housed right, and thus the gearbox oil will come out.

Now what I hear you say..
well, as i had no other option other than to get my car working I had to do the following.

I removed the Case end from the manual, and swapped it with the end from the auto shaft. However, if you have been paying attention you will have realised a flaw... the flaw is that the entire shaft is now 4mm shorter, as the auto shaft (Area B) is 4mm shorten than the one on the manual shaft. However, I inspected the insides of the Casings, looked at the wear, and came to the conclusion that there is more than enough space to account for the missing 4mm from the main shaft.

Pics below show how to open the clips, and reuse them.

Hmmm, no wonder my one (left) gave in!

So there you have it. Barrys way on how to use an auto driveshaft in a manaul car :)

bernmc
21-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Ayeee I'm blind.... I can't see any pics!

BraindG
21-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Here are a couple pics of what the gaps looks like ( before i made the change to the end, i stuck the auto shaft on to see...

So, obviously, you don't want to see this gap.. as its bad, mmkay?

And the second is good..

Wodjno
22-08-2005, 03:01 AM
Barry .. Did you try these peeps.. I had quote from them last year for outer cv joint and it came to around £90 .. www.cv-joint.com/
They reckon they can get hold of all the joints and shafts we require.. /yes

Also see here .. http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7524