PDA

View Full Version : 6A13 Engine in an FTO

IanA
22-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Hello All,

I'm an FTO GR owner (and FTO club member) that's looking to drop a normally aspirated 6A13 engine into the car.

I've decided on the Normally Aspirated route mainly due to cost, but also due to problems with too much power being transferred to the tarmac through the front wheel drive being a problem in other FTO projects.

The 6A13 engine was developed my Mitsubishi for the US market, Diamante 2.5 6cyl 24v, but may have seen some Galant usage I believe. /Hmmm

I'm sourcing the engine from NZ (Kempy's).

The cars currently non-mivec 4 speed tip and I've sourced a set of Brembo calipers and Rotas for the front as the braking on the 2.0L leaves a little to be desired. :toilet:

I was wondering if you guys would have any suggestions/advice on any of the following

expected power output compared to the 6A12 non-mivec
potential problems I may come across
recommended manufacturers of custom downpipes in the UK
advice on gearboxes (I'd like a 6 speed manual if possible)
NOS

and anything else I haven't considered here.

Thanks in advance for any advice. When it's complete I hope you guys can pop over to the FTO stand at the 2006 shows and say hello. :chugchug:

Nick Mann
22-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Interesting project!

The biggest thing could turn out to be a lack of tuning parts. At least the 6A13TT can make use of boost to increase power. There aren't many on here that have done much with the NA 6A13, so ultimate power is a tricky thing to guess at. I am pretty sure the FTO box will mate to the 6A13, but I don't know of any 6 spd boxes.

I assume you have heard of or know Richard Batty? Known here as Zentac. I'm sure his mind will have some information useful to you but pointless to those of us without an FTO!!

psbarham
22-08-2005, 09:05 PM
first off hello and welcome , the first thing you will get is a lack of power the 2.5 v6 only puts out around 165 ponys compared to the 200ish in the fto , but you will get more torque , i'll hand you over to our resident nutter with an fto and too much power(is that possible ????) zentac , calling zentac :thumbsup:

Nick Mann
22-08-2005, 09:10 PM
psb - the FTO is quoted as a non-mivec 6A12. Don't think that has so much power?

psbarham
22-08-2005, 09:18 PM
psb - the FTO is quoted as a non-mivec 6A12. Don't think that has so much power?
sorry my mistake i was thinking of the mivec one , oops , what do the non mivec ones put out then ?

zentac
23-08-2005, 12:52 PM
Hi Ian,
Ive finally got 2 mins to replu....
The NA 6A13 doesn`t have as much power (bhp) as the GR but it has more torque.
It may be interesting to compare the profiles of the GR and 6A13. The GR wiring loom
should fit without an issue and use the VR4 ECU, however I would be tempted to go with an
after market standalone ECU to set the fueling set up correctly but thats optional.

The standard FTO boxes will fit so you could keep your 4speed Tip. To be honest I would keep it as it
will make life easier and cheaper.

As for custom down pipes there are quite a few people that can make them. I use my local power
flow place quite a lot.