PDA

View Full Version : opinion

zentac
26-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Ive still got an overheating problem on the FTO. If Im on the motorway doing 70 and turn the fans off the car will overheat. This shouldn`t happen as the airflow should be enough to keep it cool so Im going to look at a new nose cone to help with cooling. Im going for the largest intake available so have the choice of....

http://www.reddragonstyling.co.uk/images/suprafto.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/adiefto/stu2.jpg
or

http://www.reddragonstyling.co.uk/images/boss1new.jpg

The Vee
26-08-2005, 12:38 PM
For me it would be the white one, although it looks like the red one has extra air flow for the discs depending on whats behind there.

Quail
26-08-2005, 01:30 PM
The white one definitely looks nicer imo, but if your after total function over fashion, the red one may do its job better :)

Paul Beazer
26-08-2005, 08:20 PM
Are the red and blue ones the same?

Just out of interest, are you still running the FTO rad? Perhaps you need a larger capacity one to cope with the bigger, more powerful VR4 engine?

Is your waterpump up the shoot? Sorry if im teaching grandma to suck eggs!

Be interested to know how you solve this. Im guessing there isnt much room under the bonnet for the air to circulate?

zentac
26-08-2005, 08:41 PM
I was thinking about the first one as its more practical and I have my oil cooler on the left (as you look at it) and a scoop to the air filter on the right so more cool air all round.

As for cooling The FTO is a custom made one with EVO VI end cans and the largest core they could fit in it. The pum seems fine as one of the rad hoses is cooler than the other when the fans are on.

Wodjno
26-08-2005, 09:14 PM
1st one for me. Reminds me of an Aston Volante.. And obviously better for airflow. /yes
The second one, i'm sure i saw this been worn around someones mouth in Silence of the Lambs. :inquisiti :satan: :uhoh2: /JawDroppi :bigcry:

wirdy
27-08-2005, 11:59 AM
I was thinking about the first one as its more practical and I have my oil cooler on the left (as you look at it) and a scoop to the air filter on the right so more cool air all round.

As for cooling The FTO is a custom made one with EVO VI end cans and the largest core they could fit in it. The pum seems fine as one of the rad hoses is cooler than the other when the fans are on.

Richard, I remember the temp of your engine at Elvington last year - and as you say - the top hose is red hot & the bottom hose is cooler than a cucumber. :inquisiti i'm assuming it's the same problem still. I seem to recall that half of your rad was also quite cool.

By way of passing - a pal of mine just had very similar symptoms on a different car, but the message is still valid. I told him to look at the water pump - and indeed the impeller had come adrift from the (corroded) shaft so that from the outside there were no leaks, no noises, etc - just hardly any water flow. the only cooling effect was from convection within the system.

Now, I haven't seen a V6 water pump - are the impellers spot welded or crimped on? this could be a possibility?

bradc
27-08-2005, 08:52 PM
my car overheats too if I push it really hard. When we were racing in July it would last for about 5 minutes until the temp gauge would start to climb again, I still have no idea what causes it at all, the water pump is a good idea.

About the body kits, the white one would look good if you install 4 foglights in it where the circular holes are. If you didn't want to do that, then you should go with opiton 1, it does have the extra vents on the side as others have pointed out.