PDA

View Full Version : water pumps

ritch_w
28-08-2005, 08:43 AM
anyone ever replaced a waterpump on a high miler?? should this be done at a cambelt service or is it not something that goes wrong???

andy43
28-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Oooh, can of worms time :rolleyes4
When I bought mine, there was a slight rattle from the cam cover area, worst at about 1200 rpm - not thought to be serious, but anything inside the cambelt cover is serious as far as I'm concerned - experts opinion kind of narrowed it down to the water pump (or cambelt tensioners), which is right in the centre of the 'vee' of the engine - it's now been changed, along with the cambelt and alls well :thumbsup:
I'd recommend changing the pump if the car's in bits for a cambelt, as it's only a bit more work to get the pump out, same goes for the tensioner pulleys and anything else in there - to get to it all, all the belts come off, aircon regas, coolant dump, intercooler pipe work off etc etc = £££ (7 hours labour). Pump itself about £100-120-ish - if someone is already in there defo worth doing /yes

wirdy
28-08-2005, 11:58 AM
anyone ever replaced a waterpump on a high miler?? should this be done at a cambelt service or is it not something that goes wrong???

At just £46.70 for a 'Blueprint' water pump, I think it's a false economy not to whip a new one on at cambelt time, if you don't know when it was last changed.
At least then you'll know it's good for another 100k or for the time you keep the car.

(pt No is ADC49134). £46.70. Can't remember if this is ex vat or inc vat.

Ollpen
28-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Indeed, to change waterpump you still need to perform almost the same surgery as when you change the cam belt.

Kieran
28-08-2005, 11:40 PM
At just £46.70 for a 'Blueprint' water pump, I think it's a false economy not to whip a new one on at cambelt time, if you don't know when it was last changed.
At least then you'll know it's good for another 100k or for the time you keep the car.

(pt No is ADC49134). £46.70. Can't remember if this is ex vat or inc vat.

Does this mean that you've done a cambelt swap on your car Nige? Was it the job from hell?