PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Child Seats in the saloon

strapping young lad
28-08-2005, 03:45 PM
went to mothercare in warrington today to buy a 2nd car seat so we dont have to faff around moving car seats all the time..

seems the only one that would fit properly was the britax renaissance, WITH a neat seat mat (rubber mat) as the webbing was too long from the body mount to the buckle.

you guys experienced any similar issues with car seats?

RED
28-08-2005, 04:39 PM
I've got a renaissance in the saloon and another britax in the numbleg - can't remember the name of that one but it's in two bits so that it can turned into a booster seat. To be honest I never tried any others to see if they fit as I liked the reputation that britax had for it's car seats. So to conclude - I've not been much use there have I /duh

andy43
29-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Britax have on their website a 'seatfinder' where every combination of car seats and cars have been tested and any problems noted... the Galant isn't on there :inquisiti but on phoning them, I was told the only seat in the size I needed (small-ish, dribbly, quite demanding, slightly smelly, capable of wobbling under own steam, X 2 :rolleyes4 ) is the First Class Si (can be forward or backward facing, will do zero up to 4 years old I think?), using the alternative belt routing, 'cos the buckle will catch on the seat frame otherwise. Full adult bodyweight is needed down into the seat to get the buckle to clear properly as well - don't think it would work if it wasn't for the ratchet/locking rear belts in the Galant. No other Britax seat (or so they told me) is an acceptable fit. Best new price was £100 each on offer from Mothercare :rolleyes4
Not to say other makes won't fit, but Britax is the only maker to test their seats in almost every car :thumbsup:

Edited to add - the rubber seat protectors are £20 in Mothercare, but only a tenner from Halfords for almost the same thing

strapping young lad
29-08-2005, 07:02 PM
yeh i used seatfinder before when i had the landrover

incidentally when i went to mothercare they went on the britax site and said the galant is on there?!

we did buy the rubber neat seat for 20 quid cos thats the only way it would fit the renaissance

psbarham
29-08-2005, 07:15 PM
have you tried THIS LOT (http://kiddicare.com/) they are very cheap , we got no end of stuff from them when jack was due , they get a lot of stuff before mothercare etc and do them at a good price :thumbsup:

strapping young lad
29-08-2005, 07:24 PM
this is though with the car seat, i would rather the person from mothercare be happy of the fitment of the car seat before i buy.

we tried 3 seats of different prices, but price is no object when it comes to safety though.

thing is with buying online, i dont know if something fits until it arrives.

but with things like prams etc its a doddle and soo convenient

psbarham
29-08-2005, 07:27 PM
what age is the car seat for ? as we have a britax( i can find out the model if you want ) in ours and it fits a treat , its one of those that converts into a booster seat for when they are older

strapping young lad
29-08-2005, 07:31 PM
he is 18 months today! (born 29th feb last yr so is a leap year baby)

we have a graco cardtridge for the newborn which is a piece of proverbial to use :)

D.J
30-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Recaro Start with bumper cushion.

strapping young lad
30-08-2005, 05:49 PM
sounds expensive (esp the recaro bit)

D.J
30-08-2005, 06:43 PM
Does up to the age of 11yrs old, so it meets the requirements of the upcoming legislation regarding child seats.

strapping young lad
30-08-2005, 08:38 PM
ah really?

where from? i recall seeing an ad in demon tweeks yrs ago?

D.J
31-08-2005, 10:49 AM
Any decent shop selling baby type things. Oh and Halfrauds.

I'll take some photos of it if you want.

You See
31-08-2005, 12:03 PM
he is 18 months today! (born 29th feb last yr so is a leap year baby)
Awesome, he/she will have to take advantage of cheap airfares, etc for many years to come! :thumbsup:

BraindG
31-08-2005, 12:18 PM
Im planning to get a Recaro (http://www.recarochildseats.com/) one for Fay, but need to check their saftey ratings first... but they look cool, and i think she'll need it with dads driving :p

strapping young lad
31-08-2005, 01:15 PM
the little sod can open doors now which is annoying (Esp in the morning when he makes his way downstairs and gets his brekkie out of the cupboard (the only one without a safety lock on) and empties on the floor...
at 5am!

D.J
31-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Pic 1. Secured in place(sparco pad to prevent seat belt cutting into neck/shoulder area)

Pic 2. Side view.

Pic 3. Without seat belt.

Pic 4. Impact cushion(Recommended from 9 - 18kg).

http://www.recaro.com/englisch/pdf/GP_YoungSeats.pdf

Not many of the parenting mags etc group test the Recaro, probably due to the cost. Anyway when was the last time you saw Gronholm and co securing themselves into a Britax, Maxi Cosi etc.

strapping young lad
31-08-2005, 04:27 PM
ooh it looks NICE!

how much? ?

i can imagine the repsonse if i mention this seat to the missus though /grr

D.J
31-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Approx £200ish for the Start, impact cushion and comfort pack.

Cannot put a price on a childs safety, and it certainly beats buying one of the other brands now and having to replace it in a few years due to the little one growing out of it.

BraindG
31-08-2005, 06:50 PM
im so getting one of them! :smug: /Steeringw

andy43
31-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Nope, can't see me swapping our britax's for a pair /yes of the recaro's.

At least not 'til the grown-ups in the front get a pair of recaros to match :thumbsup:

Recaro baby seats - how cool? :smitten:

AderC
31-08-2005, 09:34 PM
We had a nightmare getting a seat to fit (coincidentally we tried Mothercare in Warrington too...). We ended up getting the Chicco Shuttle from Toys r Us and it fits perfectly using the alternative fitting position to avoid "buckle crunch". Only 69 quid too!

aDe

strapping young lad
31-08-2005, 09:42 PM
did toys r us come out to help you fit or were you left to your own devices?

halfords told us any seat would fit any car except volvos!

AderC
31-08-2005, 10:00 PM
They will help you fit the seat the same as Mothercare do. The range of seats isn't as large as Mothercare but at least they had one that fitted!

aDe

strapping young lad
31-08-2005, 10:25 PM
i see

well im quite happy with the renaissance now so im stuck with it :)

one thing to note though was that we already have the freeway and if you have one keep an eye out to the catch that holds the seat belt...

ours broke! :( so we resorted to only having the car seat on one side of the car

mothercar saw the break and immediately swapped for a new one (well done lasses!)

must say there were some fit mums-to-be in there ;)

D.J
01-09-2005, 08:37 AM
must say there were some fit mums-to-be in there ;)

A- Ha!!(I don't mean the '80's beat combo). /Hmmm

strapping young lad
01-09-2005, 09:52 AM
some mingers too though ;)

but a lorra chavs!