PDA

View Full Version : VR4 v B4 Vote underway on vorb

4me
27-08-2003, 09:16 PM
One of my collegues has started a:

VR4 v B4 - Straight line drag vote on another site:
http://www.vorb.org.nz/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5018

At present from the posts it looks like the VR4 is winning popularity wise, but is down about 6 votes in the voting booth.

Brind
27-08-2003, 10:16 PM
Anyone with a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO will tell you that their car isn't designed for any top speed or 0-60 speed tests but for the overall handling, powerful, drive anywhere aspect of the car.
I would probably say the same about the Galant VR-4 INSERT INTO post VALUES (2.5 Twin Turbo versions) if these cars were meant for 0-60 times of a Mclaren F1 they would be lighter and tuned as such.

But to cut a long story short I ain't got a clue which would be faster but for some proper handling tests you won't stand a chance against a VR-4. :)

zedy1
27-08-2003, 10:52 PM
i think suburu are sh8ite

Brind
27-08-2003, 11:11 PM
LOL!
As always Zedy's straight to the point! :D

jtfleming
28-08-2003, 12:07 AM
Zeddy11 Why???:Ponder:

Spirit
28-08-2003, 12:59 AM
Zedy11 - spot on mate - maybe ****e is the wrong word - common is a better one:D

We VR4 owners have them for performance, looks, usability and TO BE DIFFERENT !

Scooby owners are just to scared to be different :D

jtfleming
28-08-2003, 03:31 AM
We all know Mitsubishi makes great cars, but there is no point slagging off other brands as this will drag this forum into the gutter just like some others around!!!:nono:

Brind
28-08-2003, 08:58 AM
There is no slagging here, purely just banter.
I'm afraid the VR-4 snobbery just gets to us sometimes. ;)

pjjohnson
28-08-2003, 09:11 AM
EVO mag tested them side by side - the article is on this site somewhere. The VR4 was deemed faster in a straight line and had better handling, but they thought the B4 was better looking !

Tama
29-08-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by pjjohnson
EVO mag tested them side by side - the article is on this site somewhere. The VR4 was deemed faster in a straight line and had better handling, but they thought the B4 was better looking !
Hi - I'm 4me's evil colleague who started the discussion on Vorb (http://www.vorb.org.nz) - to be honest when I first posted it up I thought that the B4 would be walking all over the VR4 - and was posting purely for baiting purposes.

But from what people are saying that doesn't seem the case INSERT INTO post VALUES (so sue me, I drive a 230cu ex-Hearse with a bench seat and column shift - and didn't know much about VR4s.)

So now it's a matter of curiousity rather than baiting - if anyone can dig up the article that pj mentioned that would be all good.

Cheers
Tama

Spirit
29-08-2003, 12:13 AM
This is the one :

"EVO August 1999.

Subaru Legacy RSK-B4 vs Mitsubishi Galant VR4

Think four-door saloon, supercar performance and affordable prices, and I ‘d wager an Impreza Turbo or Lancer Evolution would come immediately to mind. But if you’re the more mature, family man type and want that supercar-humbling performance in a less obvious package, then Subaru and Mitsubishi can offer you two cars which will have the sort of effect that a Mars Bar has on Marianne Faithful.

Available through your local Mitsubishi dealer, the £28,995 Galant VR4 is a sort of grown up Lancer EVO. Meanwhile the £26,450 Legacy RSK-B4 – available via your regular grey importers offers a taste of Impreza Turbo thrills in a bigger packet.

Visually, neither car wins any beauty prizes, both suffering from a mismatch of wings, spoilers, scoops and sill extensions, with the Legacy coming out top by virtue of it being least the offensive to the eye. The Legacy also wins inside, with a simple, smart instrument display, hip-hugging seats and high quality plastics. The Galant has a two-tone red leather steering wheel. Need I say more?

The appeal of these two saloons, though, is the hardware they pack – and their ability to make the most of it. The Galant is powered by a 2.5 litre, twin-turbo 276bhp V6 hooked up to a five speed ‘intelligent’ automatic transmission INSERT INTO post VALUES ( adjusting shift patterns according to your driving style ). It also comes with Active Yaw Control INSERT INTO post VALUES (AYC); as found on the Lancer EVO6.

All of which gives the VR4 a positively ‘Star Wars’ feel compared with the more ‘Ben Hur’ approach of the Legacy. The Legacy’s flat four also benefits from a pair of turbos INSERT INTO post VALUES (helping produce an identical 276bhp) and has a chassis tweaked by Porsche. But its five speed manual ‘box and four-wheel drive are taken largely unchanged from the regular Impreza Turbo. No bad thing.

On the road, though, it’s the Galant that really shines. The weighty feel to the steering and armfuls of feedback from both helm and chassis encourage you to press on as soon as the traffic frees up. Any thoughts of the auto-box hampering progress are dismissed the first time you ask it to kick down. On only a couple of occasions did it need time to think before selecting the appropriate gear. Otherwise it delivers smooth, effortless and unobtrusive changes whenever your right foot demands.

After the Galant, the Legacy’s a bit of a disappointment. Over-light steering and continuous fidgeting on those 215/45x17 Bridgestones INSERT INTO post VALUES (the Galant wears identical size tyres) means you have to work hard just to keep the Mitsubishi in your sights.
Turn in too fast, and where the Galant can call on AYC to see you through the corner, the Legacy feels clumsy, rolling onto its dampers and relying on the tyres to resolve the situation. It’s hard to believe the Legacy comes from the same stable as the Impreza.

And it’s not only through the twisting stuff that the Legacy loses out. A noticeable trough of turbo lag below 3500rpm allows the Galant’s six-cylinder grunt to pull out half a cars length over the Legacy, and by the time the Subaru’s boxer engine has called upon its second turbo at 4500rpm, the VR4 is two, nearly three lengths further down the road. Subaru’s claim for the RSK-B4 reaching 60 in under 6secs is as bold as the Mitsubishi’s 6.7secs claim for the same discipline is conservative.

While the Legacy has the looks and the stylish interior, it’s the Galant that serves up the thrills to satisfy any enthusiast who isn’t allowed and EVO6. It’s just a shame that Mitsubishi had trouble finding a decent interior designer."

Tama
29-08-2003, 12:20 AM
Cheers Spirit - have posted it up :thumb:

Brind
29-08-2003, 01:47 AM
Visually, neither car wins any beauty prizes, both suffering from a mismatch of wings, spoilers, scoops and sill extensions, with the Legacy coming out top by virtue of it being least the offensive to the eye.

Eh? the writer obviously has as much taste as Lily Savage, I agree the B4 isn't anything to look at but the Galant is a gorgeous car to look at! INSERT INTO post VALUES (not a biased remark either) you've only got to drive down the road and it catches people eyes! I've had many kids waving at the car as I drive past in a normal fashion when was the last time a Merc, Porsche had the same effect?

Subaru’s boxer engine has called upon its second turbo at 4500rpm, the VR4 is two

Eh? Does this person know something we don't? we have established here that the turbos work as one..?

RSK-B4 reaching 60 in under 6secs is as bold as the Mitsubishi’s 6.7secs

Eh? 6.7seconds? even Mitsubishi quote 5.9, I've got an S13 200SX to compare against too which reaches 60 in 6.5 and the VR-4 kills it.

Nick VR4
29-08-2003, 09:58 AM
I dont actully see the point of comparing cars that have
4 years difference to be honest :rolleyes:

nuff said

jtfleming
29-08-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Nick VR4
I dont actully see the point of comparing cars that have
4 years difference to be honest :rolleyes:

nuff said

I agree:)