PDA

View Full Version : exhaust manifold rattle

DUNLY
30-08-2005, 02:00 PM
got a rattle coming from the exhaust manifold (i think). im sure its there. it only occurs when i hit 2500-2700rpm, and lower or higher and its gone, also only when its hot. (guessing because the metal will change slightly when its hot).. u think its just the gasket or??????

oh and its for sale, £2600 so i can buy IANS.:evil2:

Nick Mann
30-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Check the heat shields, esp at the cat. If you can get under the car and yank the pipe around, you may hear it. Or see if someone can rev the car whilst you walk round it.

Good luck with the sale! :thumbsup:

DUNLY
30-08-2005, 02:21 PM
been under the bonnet and revved the engine from the bonnet, and sounds awfy dam close to the manifold, the bugger is its roasting when it rattles, if it was cold i could maybe push against it so see the the rattle got louder or quieter, well unless i want to leave half ma hand on the exhaust! /Hmmm na smell of burning skin doesnt quite appeal, oh and i have no heatshield on the manifold!

Big Ian
30-08-2005, 02:28 PM
long-shot..... /Hmmm but you never know :happy:
it might be sound/noise travel from a silencer box? listen underneath and see if you hear anything

colVR4
30-08-2005, 04:51 PM
I had a rattle on the V6 from the front heat shields on the exhaust below the manifld...was fixed with a couple of jubilee clips. They tend to rust and seperate which causes the rattling. I only ever got the rattling at about 3000-3200 rpm.

Just put on a pair of thick gardening gloves you muppet!!

DUNLY
30-08-2005, 05:00 PM
gardening gloves. hmmmmmmmm i dont do gardening! lol

but thank you for that we tip, i'll have a look once im home!

gardeing gloves a dunno! lol

bradc
30-08-2005, 08:26 PM
or you could use a block of wood and simply press on the manifold when you rev it.

Paul Beazer
30-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Or get someone to check for you, while you rev the engine!! :evil2:

DUNLY
31-08-2005, 12:11 AM
ha ha, ma sister, naaa thats bad.
could get 1 of ma mates, hes just hasny got a clue when it comes to motors. would more than happily get a good grip and wrap his hands round 1 of the pipes on the manifold, then just listen to him scream. hahaha.

sorry, got a we bit carried away there!

Paul Beazer
31-08-2005, 08:04 PM
ha ha, ma sister, naaa thats bad.
could get 1 of ma mates, hes just hasny got a clue when it comes to motors. would more than happily get a good grip and wrap his hands round 1 of the pipes on the manifold, then just listen to him scream. hahaha.

sorry, got a we bit carried away there!
And I thought i was sadistic!

DUNLY
01-09-2005, 05:51 PM
FOUND IT dirty we rat. ok need some advice, seems to be the we heat shield under the manifold, covering some sort of device. hmmmm, not mechanically minded but i might be thinking it could be the starter motor, anyhooo. does this we heatshield really need to stay on???? or do you think it could melt the wires behind it.??? cheers guys.

Before
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=1032

after
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=1033