PDA

View Full Version : Are front driveshafts left/right handed?

bernmc
30-08-2005, 05:24 PM
My car's off to Xtreme tomorrow, hopefully for final sorting of the ATF saga and resulting c*ckups (original thread here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9800)).

When I had the car checked on Friday, the mech noticed that the passenger side driveshaft was sitting out about 10mm, and couldn't get it to sit back in (without disassembling the whole thing). The opposite side inner CV boot had filled up with ATF.

Does anyone who has had the shafts out know if the left & right are different?
Does anyone have any idea how the CV boot could become filled with ATF? Is there some communication along the centre of the shaft?

Just want as much info as possible for when I turn up at Xtreme tomorrow...

psbarham
30-08-2005, 07:49 PM
they must be as the gear box/ transfer box does not sit directally in the centre of the car so they must be a different length but as for 10 mm not likely more like 10 inches

Kieran
30-08-2005, 07:52 PM
Didn't Barry post something in the articles section about different length driveshafts?

bernmc
30-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Didn't Barry post something in the articles section about different length driveshafts?
Think he was talking about auto vs manual shafts.

psbarham
30-08-2005, 08:14 PM
Think he was talking about auto vs manual shafts. /yes

zedy1
30-08-2005, 09:27 PM
THEY ARE DIFFERENT BERN :thumbsup:

bernmc
30-08-2005, 11:04 PM
THEY ARE DIFFERENT BERN :thumbsup:
Do you know by how much, mo? Is it several inches as PSB suggests, or a lot less - ie is it possible to get the two mixed up on reassembly?

zedy1
30-08-2005, 11:15 PM
NOT !00% SURE BUT I THINK THERES IS A FAIR FEW INCHES DIFFERENCE THE NS IS SMALLER IF THAT HELPS /Hmmm

BraindG
31-08-2005, 07:59 AM
yeah, they are different in lenght.. ill take a pick when i get home?
Actually, i can go take a picture now of the drivers side one, its in my boot... ill put it infront of car so you can tell length...

brb

BraindG
31-08-2005, 08:21 AM
Its two bottles of Fanta, and about 9/10's of a bottle of apple tango long :rolleyes4 :D

A colleague who comes in at 9 has a tape measure, ill do a proper measurement then

BraindG
31-08-2005, 08:24 AM
oh, and i have the passenger shaft at home, ill measure that when i get home.

BraindG
31-08-2005, 08:39 AM
k its 67cm long.. ill check the other side when i get home tonight.

bernmc
31-08-2005, 07:39 PM
Ta B.

Fffing ffff. I'm DEPRESSED! Took the car to Xtreme. They sorted the shafts out, but decided they didn't want to touch the transmission problems without me speaking to VMTP and getting them to have another look. The ffifng drivetrain is clunking merrily now - Xtreme think that it's probably that inner CV joint that's been flushed with ATF - on it's way out :|:|:|, so I'll have to leave the car in Cannock AGAIN. Don;t know whether the CVJ is serviceable or the whole shaft needs replacing :|:|:|

Anyone got an old banger I can borrow while the damn VR4's off the road again? I'm too depressed to be angry :bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

BraindG
31-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Can't you take it off yourself? and take a looky?

Kieran
31-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Man, that sucks Bern!! Feel for you mate!

Give VMTP a right royal roasting, won't you?? /pan /pan /grr /grr

bernmc
31-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Can't you take it off yourself? and take a looky?
I could, but the buggers have had 600 quid from me to do the transmission. If I start messing myself, I'll end up paying for new bits. Fume & spit - I'm tempted, but why should they get away with it?????

wirdy
31-08-2005, 09:41 PM
Sorry to hear your tales Bern. :rolleyes4

Unfortunately, unless you're prepared to get your hands dirty - these cars are soon going to be uneconomical for non-technical owners to maintain.

I can sympathise if dealer/ garage service is souring your VR4 experience.
Are you really that useless with a spanner??

zedy1
31-08-2005, 09:53 PM
I could, but the buggers have had 600 quid from me to do the transmission. If I start messing myself, I'll end up paying for new bits. Fume & spit - I'm tempted, but why should they get away with it?????

i have a v6 galant if you wanna borrow it bern :thumbsup:

bernmc
31-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Pm'd you mo...

Wirdy - I can do the driveshaft myself, but there's still an atf leak from the nearside... and I can't do the whole gearbox fitting & removal thing....

I expected the job to be a simple remove the box, sort the seal etc and get back on the road. Unfortunately the buggers have made a series of cockups which have now resulted in (likely) a dead CVJ... not confirmed - could be something else. They broke it, so they should fix it. It won't cost me any money (I won't pay!), it's just the inconvenience of needing to get to wrok on the train every day that I don;t have the car - 2 hours each way! Grrrr.

wirdy
31-08-2005, 10:28 PM
Hopefully your story will keep others away from this outfit.

Yep, gearboxes & transfer boxes ain't fun to drop / raise. Probably best left to a garage with a platform if you have no access to these.

Keep us informed. :thumbsup: