PDA

View Full Version : Radio Reception

only_me_37
28-08-2003, 02:42 PM
I have a question for anyone who might be able to help. I recently bought a Legnum, with a Sony Radio Cassette in which doesnt seem to get very good reception. It will get all the normal Radio1's Radio2's etc, but as soon as the signal is weak, it loses it. Much easier than my previous FTO for instance. Now i assumed that the aerial wasnt plugged in, but the guy who fitted the alarm recently told me that the aerial was in ok , and was connected to one of the rear side windows. Does any one else have this problem, i mean, i have never had this sort of problem before even with the worst after market aerials, never mind the pukka manufacturesrs model. Any ideas suggestions would be welcome before i start to get fed up with it and get a drill out.
Cheers....

Nick VR4
28-08-2003, 03:14 PM
mine is a OEM model VDO Dayton plus 6 CD changer
Radio sometimes looses station depending on the area and what station I'm listining to or get very bad reception

I have no idea where the arial is to be honest I have a feeling its a wire thingy in the windscreen or back window
Or wired up to the heated front or back screen ???

Im not that keen on arials sticking out of wings or roofs either :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

I made it very clear to a guy fitting my hands free kit for mobile no sticking those little arials to the window
He said no worries i'll use a tax disc holder with the arial built in

:)

only_me_37
28-08-2003, 03:20 PM
I like the sound of an areial in the tax disc holder....my radio thing is beyond a joke though and i really could do with an alternative.....thanks for the reply though.

Nick VR4
28-08-2003, 03:29 PM
No problem

you could always try Halfords and see if thay have any wire type arials you could fit out of the way

BraindG
28-08-2003, 03:58 PM
aerials are located:
Saloon - top half of rear wind screen
Legnum - Back side window

the reception is crap, because if you have a jap radio the frequencies are all wrong.. they use a different range that use.. on mine radio 1 = 79.2 (or close to that) I have 6 different settings for radio 1 - and have to change frequently when im driving around..

work around for this (to the best of my knowledge) is take you radio to a some audio shop and ask them to tune it in correctly.. this will give you the full range of frequencies used here in the UK..

you may have noticed it ends at 90.0 (radio 1 is 98.1 or somethign) i forget where it starts.. perhaps 70.0...

and a booster might help aswell

hope that helps

only_me_37
28-08-2003, 04:05 PM
Hi BraindG.
I am aware of the problem with the Jap Radio thing, but this is a UK radio which shows all the right frequencies etc...itys just the reception is terrible......if it is wired into the rear side window somehow, maybe this isnt good enough for the weak radio signals we have up this way....though as i said, no other car i have had had this problem in the area.
Cheers....

BraindG
28-08-2003, 04:07 PM
sorry, must have half read your message..

go for a booster then..

maplin.co.uk might have some

Brind
28-08-2003, 04:46 PM
The connection between the radio and the arial might be dodgy, at the arial end rather than the radio end.

When I got my car I noticed after a couple of months the left rear speaker wasn't working so checked the speaker to find the connector was only on one of the spade terminals and the other was bent out of shape.. whether it was by accident when something was put in the boot or some jealous little ****e pulled it off during servicing I don't know, there is nothing to protect the speakers.. you can just see wires, I haven't looked but the arial cable is probably just hanging around there too so you can easily check for a connection.

Or could simply be a duff radio as mine with the concealed arial works very well, it's Sony too.
Could always get a booster which has been suggested, having one anyway is good idea.

only_me_37
28-08-2003, 05:00 PM
Ok...last reply today...thanks for all the info. Someone suggested to me that boosters amplified the "noise", as well as the signal. so i might try one, but will certainly check the connections first. I had the same "wire fell off the speakers " with the FTO cos they are open in the boot, but the LEGNUM's speakers are in the doors, no problem there.
Just a thought, if the aerial is in the side window maybe it works best when travellling in one direction, and not the opposite way.......ok i am joking....but stranger things have happened.
This is the first thread i have opened that wasnt just to say hello, and i am impressed that so many people have nothing better to do, sorry, are so helpful, to such a simple problem.
I will let you know the outcome...if there is a happy one!

BraindG
28-08-2003, 05:03 PM
and i am impressed that so many people have nothing better to do, sorry, are so helpful, to such a simple problem.
eheheh
Here to please :wiggle:

jtfleming
28-08-2003, 08:48 PM
Toss the original head unit and get one designed for your country. My Leggy came with original head unit and couldn't hold a radio station. I put in a new Sony and the reception is excellent and New Zealand's terrain is very difficult for radio waves. You can also buy a band expander for your OEM radio to so it goes past 90.00. Look at www.dicksmith.co.nz or www.repco.co.nz, they should be able to send you one.:idea:

zedy1
28-08-2003, 10:54 PM
the antenna lead needs a +12v feed via ignition or remote just check that is connected my radio doesnt work but never bothered with it

only_me_37
29-08-2003, 08:45 AM
Thanks JT, but the radio is already a UK unit, and bandwidth isnt the problem, just crap reception.
Zedy....could you be more specific about the 12volt feed?..This is a new one on me

zedy1
29-08-2003, 09:55 PM
follow the antenna cable you will see another wire which requires a 12volt feed

zedy1
29-08-2003, 09:56 PM
it should have a spade connector on it

landy
29-08-2003, 11:23 PM
I have a good after market stereo (can't remember the model at the mo, will look tomorrow):rolleyes: and the radio reception isn't that good either, and the stereo before this one which was also after market was even worse.

I listen to CDs mainly:D :cool1:

jaysback
30-08-2003, 08:43 AM
i have a legnum and ditched the original jap radio.
replaced it with a pioneer oel thingy.
the reception on this rocks and i have no trouble with the RDS blending between signals.
the aerial is in the side window and i am shure there is already a booster type thing on it as with the 12v switching supply.
there should be either a blue or orange from your headset that connects to this.
i seem to recall that the swiching wire was attached to the aerial lead INSERT INTO post VALUES (was 2 years ago when i fitted it mind)

only_me_37
01-09-2003, 08:37 AM
Cheers Zedy...I will have a look.

only_me_37
01-09-2003, 08:48 AM
Oh...and good info too Landy and Jay...
Now, since we've gone this far, might as well go the whole hog. Do i understand correctly that the wire coming out of the antennae wire will be connected into a 12volt feed that may well be available from the head unit? Or does it come out further back. If there is nothing on the head unit, i guess i can just tee it into a live?
Have to say if that is the case, it sounds like a dream solution, and as some of you have good reception, it cant be just that the window aerial is a terrible idea.
Well, if it works, and i will keep youy informed, then this site has already proven its worth for me.......cool.

Good point about the CD's Landy....can you get those with traffic news??..:Ponder:

jaysback
01-09-2003, 08:57 AM
dont connect it to a permanent live, if u do the amplifier will always be on.
and if you got a standard jap battery i wont be long befor it dies.

only_me_37
01-09-2003, 09:03 AM
Good point...I know what you mean, the baby bell battery went a week after i got the car....it now has one that fills the available area. Much better idea..:)

jaysback
01-09-2003, 09:48 AM
mine died also :(
i fitted a ac delco (vauxhall) vectra diesel battery.
just a little bigger than the tray, but fits a treat if you know what i mean.

zedy1
01-09-2003, 11:15 PM
did you check the wire

landy
02-09-2003, 12:11 AM
only_me_37,

I live in rural Mid Wales... What traffic ?? :D ;) :p

only_me_37
02-09-2003, 08:50 AM
errr...not checked the wire yet...and i know what you mean Landy,,,not much traffic up here either.

Mel
06-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Any conclusions on this? (Appreciate its been a while since the last posts!)

My reception is also pretty hopeless with a UK spec VDO head unit.

I was tempted to fit a short stubby at the back of the estate, but I'd prefer not to have to resort to the drill.

I haven't checked for the +12V feed, but I would bet that Mr Mitsu hasn't connected it up.

zentac
07-09-2004, 08:44 AM
Not got time to read all this thread but on the FTO if youve got a rear windscreen built in area then theres probably a pink wire that you need to connect up to a power source to boost the signal. Worth looking at