PDA

View Full Version : Awesome!

enigma
28-08-2003, 11:15 PM
Well I picked up my 99 VR4 Legnum tonight and did a 220 mile round trip to Blackpool just for the sheer hell of it! 220 miles with an idiot grin on my face :D

I traded in my 10 year old MR2 turbo and the VR4 is every bit as quick. But with smooth power delivery and a simply stunning tiptronic box! Cant see any real need to use it in manual mode though! :p

I am one very very happy bunny! Hopefully when it is light and the rain stops I can get some piccys for you guys!

Spirit
28-08-2003, 11:16 PM
:D :D :D Congrats mate ! Glad you luv it as much as we do - can't wait for some pics

Pete

Nick VR4
29-08-2003, 09:34 AM
nice one Dave :D

I did the same drive as you spooky
Picked up car friday morning loaded up the car and drove 212 miles to Blackpool well Fleetwood to see girlfriend

See nealy fainted when she saw it lol
:D

Try the manual mode you wont be dissapointed

The more you use manual mode the more the car learns your driving and well use this in auto mode :cool1:

pjjohnson
29-08-2003, 10:42 AM
My auto box adapts its shifts when you are in auto mode.

In auto mode if I pootle around never using more than half throttle it gets into high gears at low revs, and stays in high gear for as long as possible before changing down.

If I then hammer it for a few minutes, full throttle and hard braking, it stays in low gear for as long as possible and changes down at fairly high revs.

If I then go back to pootling around, for a while it will hold gears for longer, and change down sooner, but pretty quickly it goes back to 'pootling' mode.

I'd still rather have a manual though.

Nick VR4
29-08-2003, 11:17 AM
good point mate
It learns in both modes

enigma
30-08-2003, 12:11 PM
OK a few pics of my shiny new car! Already used 3 tanks of fuel in just under 36 hours!! Geeeesh its thirsty! ;)

enigma
30-08-2003, 12:13 PM
Did someone say mean???! :D

enigma
30-08-2003, 12:14 PM
And comfy leather too!

enigma
30-08-2003, 12:19 PM
Now as the wife is away this weekend its time to start investigating the beast! :p

First on the list is the installation of an Apexi RSM INSERT INTO post VALUES (Rev Speed Meter) which will give me 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times, lateral and longditudanal acceleration and a continuous power at the wheels display........once that is done it will be time to do some baseline tests before tinkering! :cool1:

The plan is:

Ditch the nasty air filter and box and replace it with a cold feed induction kit. I will make this myself and it looks like the filter will sit quite nicely down low in the bumper.

Tap in to the wastegate control lines and install some sort of boost attenuating device! :eek:

Plumb in a boost gauge......possible linked to the above mentioned boost controller if I can get one at the right price..........

Test results to follow!

BraindG
30-08-2003, 12:44 PM
no matter how many times i see a VR4, from what ever angle.. i fall in love all over again..

nice car mate.. and cant wait for the results :D

have fun, be carefull :D

jaysback
30-08-2003, 02:04 PM
she look's good.
let me know how you get on with the boost upgrade;)

enigma
30-08-2003, 04:31 PM
As if by magic an APEXi RSM appeared! :cool1:

Obviously this means I can no longer store my shades, but hey.............I'll be wearing 'em!

enigma
30-08-2003, 04:33 PM
Wide angle shot of the APEXi install..........I think all of the APEXi stuff is the same size, so it is easy to do.....come on guys lets see some more APEXi stuff in the sunglasses holder! :p

Spirit
30-08-2003, 04:37 PM
Looks good Dave

Did you fit this yourself ? If so how was it done ? And of course how much did it cost and from where did you get one?

Thanks

Pete

Kieran
30-08-2003, 04:47 PM
Veeerrrry Nice Dave:) I'm sure you'll have lots of fun in it:D

I'll keep my eyes open for you whilst i'm driving around!:cool1:

jaysback
30-08-2003, 04:48 PM
now that is sweet:D
nice headset aswell;)
only complaint about VR4 is that the sunglasses holder wont fit oakley XX's :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

but apexi stuff looks so much cooler in there:p

Brind
30-08-2003, 04:55 PM
Very nice! mate. :)

Another proud VR-4 owner.
Great place to put a boost controller! does the door close properly on it?

As Pete just said.. how much and how did you do it?

enigma
30-08-2003, 07:46 PM
I fitted the APEXi unit myself this afternoon........took a couple of hours. Easy peasy! ;)

First of all I took the head unit out which revealed the fastening mechanism for the sunglasses holder. It is simply clipped in, so if you get your fingers in either side you can ease the plastic clips slightly and then tug the whole unit out in on go.

Next I masacred.....I mean modified the inner bit so the nose rest thing was no longer there INSERT INTO post VALUES (but a nice hole for wiring was!) then I cut a lot of the outer mounting away to enable me to open and close the door with the unit installed.......stealth! :cool1:

The wiring was a bit of a problem as my hands didn't want to squeeze in to the gap to disconnect the ECU, but after several attempts I managed to get the 4 plugs out. It was simply then a 4 wire splice job to connect the unit, and more swearing while I tried to plug the connectors in again! :nono:

I also have the optional G sensor with the unit so that has been araldited under the centre console INSERT INTO post VALUES (by removing the liner from the armrest) and the wiring run to the unit under the gear lever etc.

Reassembly is the reverse of removal INSERT INTO post VALUES (always wanted to say that! :D

Cost? Well I bought it last year whilst on holiday in New Zealand INSERT INTO post VALUES (cheap cheap cars and tuning bits.........not fair! :cry2: ) Set me back about £200, and I believe that prices have dropped to around that level here now.

So what does it do? Well testing tonight has shown a 0-100kph INSERT INTO post VALUES (62mph) time of 6.66 seconds in auto mode......not bad at all! It has also told me my max power output at the wheels is 197PS INSERT INTO post VALUES (194BHP) at 5556RPM :mad: Where did the other 85 horses go? Damn 4 wheel drive! Still its still pretty respectable! :thumb1:

Over the next few weeks I hope to be down in the 5s for the dash to 60 and 250BHP at the wheels............If you see me coming move over! Bad ass estate car driver coming through! :wow:

Brind
30-08-2003, 11:42 PM
Thanks alot for the detailed reply!
I think I may go down this route too I've always liked the look of APEXi stuff and they are cheaper then your Blitz and HKS.
I'm off to Hong Kong the end of the year and I'm bound to have a look at car parts! :cool:

Maybe your device needs adjusting? 6.66 seconds is a little slower than what Mitsubishi claim for the Legnum... unless of course you weren't pushing it as hard as you could have.
Come back with an update, maybe it needs to settle in or something.

Spirit
31-08-2003, 08:01 AM
Would an ECU reset be worth trying as well Dave or did you cut the power to it anyway when you were pulling the 4 plugs in and out ?

Great advice on fitting - thanks mate

Pete

Spirit
31-08-2003, 08:46 AM
Also reading up a little on this it says you need to input the vehicle weight and rolling resistance to get an accurate BHP figure with the G-sensor - is this right Dave and are your figures correct for your car ?

With regards to price, there are many on eBay for around £120-£125 brand new and the G-sensor for £40 plus postage - so around £175 all in ! :D

Pete

Spirit
31-08-2003, 09:10 AM
:D :D :D :D OK I have just bought one !!!:D :D :D :D

Also got the following deal for Club VR4 members:

Apexi RSM
G - Sensor
Stand
Postage

All inclusive price of £170.00 - either by internet banking transfer for paypal !

See here for more info: http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1106

Go for it guys !

Pete

Nick VR4
31-08-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by spirit979
Also reading up a little on this it says you need to input the vehicle weight and rolling resistance to get an accurate BHP figure with the G-sensor - is this right Dave and are your figures correct for your car ?

Pete

That looks the mutts nuts :D

But I dont think I would fit it myself
1)I havent got that many tools
2)I use to work on cars and as soon as I worked on my own car something would break fall off or snap :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

I can understand putting the car weight in but how the hell do you know the rolling resistance ????

With regards to the missing 84 horses most Auto boxes loose throught slippage around 27 -29% plus going through difs etc to 4WD so say 30%
280bhp - 30% = 196

Spirit
31-08-2003, 10:56 AM
From what I can see it's just an adjustment for tyre size compared to the originals. When you put in weight you also need to add passenger, fuel and load weights to get an accurate figure

enigma
31-08-2003, 08:05 PM
The rolling resistance is entered on the move. There is a lost power feature that enables you to set the rolling resistance every 10kmh INSERT INTO post VALUES (or mph is you have a UK version) Basically what you do is slap it in neutral and see how much BHP is lost due to friction and air resistance, this can be a little tricky to set up just right as you really need a long straight road and a passenger that can log the details for programming........ideally you want to hit 120mph or so and let it coast to a stop! This is not that practical INSERT INTO post VALUES (unless you live in Bonneville!!) so doing incremental coasts is required. This way you can get a set of figures particular to your car. Getting these 100% accurate is not required unless you are comparing with other people. It is more use to set it up and then use it to gauge the effect of bolt on performance mods. :D

Managed to get 204BHP today after a bit of rolling resistance tweaking. Seems to be peaking at about 5500 RPM in each gear. More about the testing in a new post.............

BraindG
01-09-2003, 05:53 PM
INSERT INTO post VALUES (sorry just moving everything to right place)

-LegnumVR4-
02-09-2003, 07:04 AM
I installed the Turbosmart E-Boost in my Legnum VR-4. Made a huge difference to the power. I swear by this controller.

http://www.turbosmart.com.au/boost_control_electronic.htm

EdmundVR4
02-09-2003, 01:18 PM
installed the Turbosmart E-Boost in my Legnum VR-4. Made a huge difference to the power. I swear by this controller.
How much boost are you running ? Does it hold boost steady or does boost drop off at high rpm's ? What controller did you use before ? Was it easy to set up & tune ? I know you ran a 14.4 1/4 before, what do you think you are running now ? I am having a hard time getting my Apexi AVC-R to stop spiking & hold boost steady, so I might be in the market for another boost controller.
Come on legnum VR4, give us a review on this product.
Thanks,
Ed

-LegnumVR4-
02-09-2003, 08:34 PM
I'm running about 13.5psi at the moment. It holds boost very well and boost comes on very fast. In the higher gears I have notice that it boost starts to back off, I'm thinking this is because of the small turbos. Also the small turbos will spike a lot, it's just one of those things. More tuning with the wastegate controller may help. Installing the controller is easy, just pipping and wiring.

Before i was using a manual boost controller and doing a 14.4 1/4 mile @92mph. I now do a 14.0 1/4 @97mph. The drag strip was a bit slippy so the car would break traction due to the amount of grunt i have down low in the rpms. Traction control works well to hold the car in a straight line :D

When driving the car around town on max boost you really feel the difference as the car pulls hard in second gear. The wastegate controller can be tuned to open when u want it to. I have mine opening at 8.0psi.

I'll post more info as i play with it more.

Brind
02-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Some Traction control systems are mechanical and some cut/reduce fuel.
I don't know what the VR-4 uses but if it is the fuel cut/reduce type it can't be healthy on higher boost to use the traction control system.

-LegnumVR4-
03-09-2003, 08:19 AM
I'm not sure how the VR-4's traction control works. I gather it must work in with the auto's AYC as I had all 3 bars showing on the dash when I launched. I must have done about 5 runs that day and didn't have any problems.

Test pliot 'Rhys' signing out..... 'click'.:)

zedy1
02-10-2003, 11:07 PM
were did you fit the g sensor and what about the other three wires what there for my instructions were in japenese

enigma
03-10-2003, 06:33 AM
I fitted the g sensor under the centre console. Lift up the armrest, remove the liner and you can see the floor. A bit of araldite and you are laughing!

The 3 remaining wires are speed warnings and rev warnings I think, not sure about the 3rd. What colour are they?

zedy1
03-10-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by bigdaveakers
I fitted the g sensor under the centre console. Lift up the armrest, remove the liner and you can see the floor. A bit of araldite and you are laughing!

The 3 remaining wires are speed warnings and rev warnings I think, not sure about the 3rd. What colour are they?

white purple and black does the sensor have to be thier or could i mount it anywhere

enigma
03-10-2003, 09:09 AM
You can mount the sensor anywhere, but the nearer the centre of the car the better.

The purple wire should be the speed input and the Black wire is ground???? Dont know how the hell you have wired it up!

Try these................

Wiring (http://www.apexi-usa.com/productdocumentation/wiringDiagram.pdf)

Instructions (http://www.apexi-usa.com/productdocumentation/revSpeedMeter.pdf)

:D

zedy1
03-10-2003, 10:46 AM
the rev speed meter is all up and running its the g sensor havent connected it up yet theres three wires oin it black purple and white

enigma
03-10-2003, 10:53 AM
AHA I see! My G sensor had a plug on it, this just plugged in to the socket on my RSM loom. If I get chance I will have a look this weekend.

zedy1
03-10-2003, 09:55 PM
mine too has a plug but it also has these three short wires approx 6 inches

enigma
03-10-2003, 10:29 PM
OH I remember........just left them loose! Works fine!

zedy1
03-10-2003, 10:34 PM
just wanted to make sure any idea how to convert ps to bhp

Spirit
04-10-2003, 12:04 AM
Mo, here you go mate:

Power Conversion: ps to bhp

1.0 Japanese PS = 0.98632 BHP
50 PS = 49.3 BHP
100 PS = 98.6 BHP
120 PS = 118.4 BHP
150 PS = 147.9 BHP