PDA

View Full Version : Which factory front bumper do you prefer?

TTV6VR4
02-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Top one or the bottom one??? feel free to add comments.

Kieran
02-09-2005, 12:23 AM
I prefer the bottom (pre-facelift) bumpers. In fact, I prefer pre-facelift full stop. Cleaner lines, not as many bulges, angles and none of those daft wheel arch extensions.

/Edit to say - Top one is much more sporty and menacing, if that's what you're after. ;)

Kenneth
02-09-2005, 12:44 AM
I like the top one best... in fact, that must be the best looking car in the whole world... :smitten: :D

AncientOfMu
02-09-2005, 12:58 AM
Sporty and menacing all the way :thumbsup: :evil2:

(just hope they hurry up and get my new one painted ) :rolleyes4

GroundControl
02-09-2005, 12:59 AM
I also prefer the pre-facelift look all around.

In particular I prefer the single spotlights over the double ones, I like the cleaner wheel-arches over the 'trim' on the facelift model, and the pre-facelift boot and spoiler just looks better /yes (heh that covers most of the visual differences really :D)

Edit: oh, I prefer the pre-facelift front bumper too :D

tig202
02-09-2005, 01:03 AM
LOL the 2nd picture is of my VR when it was in NZ, ahh bless! happy days :thumbsup:

I must admit I was contemplating trying to fit a post facelift front end to mine but after lowering her with b12's the old lass looks kind of meaner :evil2:

i3ooyah
02-09-2005, 01:09 AM
hahah kenneth

i kinda like the gdi bumpers? i think its the gdi with the lines across the front air dam, i reckon if they incoporated that into the prefacelift front bumper then it'll look mean as

jaimz
02-09-2005, 03:10 AM
Yeah, go sporty and menacing!!
I prefer the facelift front, but the pre-facelift rear. Those facelift rear lights are just all to angly and weird - and the spoiler looks like an afterthought.

Are the two front spoilers completely interchangeable...? Could have one of each and change it depending on how the mood took me... :joker:

Freddy
02-09-2005, 04:43 AM
I like the facelift front so much, I put one on my pre facelift Legnum. Meaner looking :evil3:

Big Ian
02-09-2005, 06:57 AM
i prefer the pre-face lift, but only as it has the extra vent's built in at the bottom if i had a pre F/L one i'd do to it what i have done to my GLS one though... cut out the standard mesh grill and re-do it with mesh /yes

Wouter
02-09-2005, 07:27 AM
The top one is by far the best!

bradc
02-09-2005, 08:10 AM
I like the facelift much more, the wheel arch flares, the bumper, the tail lights, and the rear spoiler.

The only thing I think looks better on the pre-facelift cars is the ummm the uhhhh thingee that I ummm errrr I don't really know ;)

BraindG
02-09-2005, 08:13 AM
Pre-face lift all the way!! :smug:

bradc
02-09-2005, 08:15 AM
I forgot to say, I'm buying one of these front bumpers soon (thanks marcel for the pic) so if anyone wants my trigger mauve facelift front bumper, let me know

adam_shaw
02-09-2005, 09:20 AM
I prefer facelift all the way, especially the back....

It looks more pointy and finished. Not just a regular estate / wagon (Oh well, lets just put a straight line down to the floor then..... )

And the spoiler on the back is much better.

I have to admit I'm not sure about the arch extensions..... but in black the car looks mean as.....

BTW mine is facelift and black :smug:

A

g8legnum
03-09-2005, 09:30 PM
Got to be face-lift every time. But then I am biased, as I've got one. Like others I think it is the best looking front end treatment I've seen on any car in a long time. I've also got a friend (who drives a new b**tl*) who thinks my car is the m*tts n*tts.

Dan_G
03-09-2005, 10:02 PM
I agree with Kieran, prefer the clean looks of the pre-face lift thats why I got one..

Things that dont suit the post facelift imo are : The big front grill makes the car look like it has a big nose.. the post faclift rear is odd and rear wing looks like a bolt on.. and wheel arch extensions also look stuck on ....... the front bumper however, I do quite like... although I prefer the single foglights and there surround than the doubles........

When I first got my car I was seriously considering modifying the front end with a post facelift bumper and try to keep the original grill and fog lights....

To make my mind up I did some paintshop pro work on Barry's car using BDA bumper because I found a photo of each car in the same pose. I hope you dont mind.

heres the paint shop pro results with Barry's car and BDA's bamper. A modified pre-facelift VR4:

TTV6VR4
03-09-2005, 10:39 PM
I agree I think that the pre-facelift one is actucally better lookin especially if you have a big front mount, but Dan G's one looks not to bad though. /Hmmm

bradc
03-09-2005, 10:49 PM
How about the post facelift bumper without foglights? I think it looks great

pezza
04-09-2005, 12:28 AM
I do like both bumpers; it took me a while to decide which one to keep as I had a facelift bumper from my v6.... which I eventually swapped onto my prefacelift car..

The prefacelift is definitely more subtle but I prefer dark colour mesh.... and it shows off a shiny aftermarket intercooler much better IMO.

The facelift bumper is way more agressive tho, as many have stated also, but prefer it with no foglamps or just with one foglamp, like the sport bumper.

Also think colour has a lot to do with the look also with prefacelift ... darker colours better whereas the facelift looks good in all colours! :thumbsup:

Quail
04-09-2005, 12:50 AM
How about the post facelift bumper without foglights? I think it looks great

Hell Yes :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Louis
19-02-2006, 11:58 PM
Must agree, I like the post face lift with the lights taken out, also leaves more room for air feeds etc, V nice. Otherwise pre facelift everytime.

Springie
20-02-2006, 12:17 AM
Facelift, looks more modern and aggressive. Face lift does look bulkier all round so depends what you prefer.

I think pre-facelifts are more suited to 'boy racer' type mods (only way i could describe it) in the way they look more nimbler, where as the facelift i feel you need to be more careful with you selection of wheels etc as its a more imposing and substanial looking vehicle.

In conclusion, if no mods are made, facelift all the way. If you got mods it depends what looks better. But overall i like the newer look, plus they are still less common that the pre-facelift.

KiwiTT
20-02-2006, 12:28 AM
I prefer the Pre-facelift look. It looks right. The two "fangs" on post-facelift seems like an after-thought. I do like the Post-facelift rear-light clusters on both Galant and Legnums.

The Vee
20-02-2006, 12:53 AM
have the intemediate version on mine!! the v6 24 facelift. Does look a little tame but is much improved with the splitters. TBH probably prefer of the two mentioned, the facelift version. Only an opinion, but to me looks a little more up to date and as has been said much more aggressive. Nearly changed mine to one of these but cost put me off. Bradc, if only yours was in the UK...............

vrfan
20-02-2006, 02:05 AM
Dan G, that last photoshop effort....:2thumbsup .... spot on.

I prefer the facelift bumper for it's twin fogs and evil fangs but not enough to do a swap over, everything else is just wrong. The stick-on arch extensions, the big wart on the grille badge, the tail lights all seem less well designed to my eye.

However does it really matter? The important bit stayed the same. It goes suck, squeeze, bang, blow, whizzzzzzz as good as ever.>|

Incidentally does anyone have one of little centre infill bits for the pre-facelift front bumper lying in a shed? Mine's gone, and it looks scruffy without it. :(

OSiRiS
20-02-2006, 03:10 AM
Does the Super VR4 bumper count?

Bal
20-02-2006, 06:39 AM
i like both. i love the pre on my car but wouldnt mind the other.

the nice thing about the pre is that it keeps the cars stealth like attributes. the post just makes it look like a mean mofo !!

bradc
20-02-2006, 07:30 AM
The Vee - I will be selling my front bumper soon anyway, I bet that will upset a few UK members who would like it for their cars.

Osiris - no it doesn't because it is the same as the prefacelift with things stuck on ;)

OSiRiS
20-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Osiris - no it doesn't because it is the same as the prefacelift with things stuck on ;)

Welll, pictures speak for themselves...

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/6669/dsc014314wi.jpg

:2thumbsup

cheese
20-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Facelift, looks more modern and aggressive. .

I agree with you here Springie, but I'm not sure that I'm with you on this bit...

I think pre-facelifts are more suited to 'boy racer' type mods (only way i could describe it)

Nick VR4
20-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Top one :2thumbsup

I got the garage to re-wire mine so all 4 are on instead of 2 and then one when you turn

All the cars i have owned have had front fogs or I have added them and no I don't drive with them on all the time /pan safety 1st :2thumbsup

richard_v6
20-02-2006, 08:49 PM
got too be the facelift looks far nicer even tho ive got the prefacelift bumpers on my v6 !!!/Grrr

caishanvr4
21-02-2006, 12:39 AM
Post facelift every time :2thumbsup

Looks good with fogs out too...mmm

Anyone wanna buy some Frt fogs :evilgrin:

Spirit
21-02-2006, 01:41 AM
Having lived with both types, I have to go with the facelift overall........just looks meaner.....and in black, mmmmmmm :2thumbsup

Earl
22-02-2006, 04:03 AM
Have to agree the face-lift wheel arches look "tacked on", however, they both look great and I'd love to have either one, if only they were available over here./Grrr

Xeroid
22-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Face lift for me, like the more aggressive stance to it, now what does THAT say about my attitude ??

The 'fangs' give a sort of F1 look like the front wing on formula cars so OK by me.

I've undercoated my front lip with Duct tape to cushion the inevitable scrapes and nose dives, about 2 layers thick. When it gets tatty rip it off and apply another layer, you can get clear now although I'm using the silver at present. Also helps keep the centre insert from being knocked out.

Now all I need is a carbon fibre Evo style bonnet .....