PDA

View Full Version : Ooops

AncientOfMu
02-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Well just had my new wheels and tyres fitted.

Maybe a itsy bitsy problem though.
The tyres i took off were 195/60R15
The new ones are 225/45/17 Doh!

Hence 3% difference in diameter. Boohoo /help

Sooo.

Would it be ok to run them then just get the correct size next time I buy tyres?

or does anybody want a set of 225/45R17 Good Year Eagle F1 GS-D3's that have done about 10 miles.

I paid £90 each including fitting and balancing so would ideally want £80 each.

Anyone help me????
/help /help /help

ritch_w
02-09-2005, 03:33 PM
the 225/45 17s are a perfect fit for VR4s

I think Ian runs this size as well(??)

probably ok to keep with them - just remeber at 60mph on your speedo will be closer to a real 65mph (or thereabouts)

incidently - to all owners who have upgraded from 14" & 15" wheels to 17s - what is the best size of tyre to go for??? :inquisiti

DUNLY
02-09-2005, 03:58 PM
can you recalibrate the speedo for this? as i will be looking to upgrade from 14's to 17's in the near future. just with this 50 odd mile stretch of average speed cameras i might forget to remember that!??

and yeah ians running the same size, went up to look at it on sunday, what a machine. v v nice, was selling mine to buy it, but its got a nice big dent on its arse now! mines that is :embarasse

Nick Mann
02-09-2005, 05:55 PM
Stick with the 225/45/17's. Your speedo wil probably be more accurate now than it was - most speedos read slightly optimistically, as they are not allowed to be pessimistic.

Those tyres will suit the car much better than the 215/45/17 alternative.

Just don't rely on the 10% over speed limit buffer anymore!

Wodjno
02-09-2005, 07:32 PM
Stick with the 225/45/17's. Your speedo wil probably be more accurate now than it was - most speedos read slightly optimistically, as they are not allowed to be pessimistic.

Those tyres will suit the car much better than the 215/45/17 alternative.

Just don't rely on the 10% over speed limit buffer anymore!

I have tested out the speedo's for accuracy at 60mph in both the leggys.. Not very scientifically, but this is what i did. On a nice flat straight piece of motorway kept the needle of the speedo bang on the 60mph. Then as the odometer clicked over to the next 10th of a mile i started a stopwatch. Then waited until it clicked over 1 mile and stopped the stopwatch . I have done this 5 or 6 times nor on each car and always the stopwatch is between 59.2 secs and 59.8 secs.. I think this means they are pretty accurate at 60 mph .. Or are they ?? :inquisiti

AncientOfMu
02-09-2005, 08:03 PM
Thanks for all the advice, me thinks ill be keeping them /yes

Only one other isuue

Galant V6 offset is 46mm the new wheels are 50mm offset and what with the wider and slightly taller tyres the inside edge is VERY (i.e. about 8mm) close to the 'knuckle', that bit of steel which bends up behind the wheel from the hub to the top mount on the rear suspension.

From looking at the manual it doesnt appear that the wheel and tyre would move independantly to this piece of metal but as i said there aint much room.

Can you get offset spacers from anywhere? are they specific for the galant? how much are they?

BDA ones could be a distinct possibility :thumbsup: if hes interested.

Anyone know more than me about this? (Highly Likely)

The last thing I want is a blow out on the way to TRAX on sunday :(.

psbarham
02-09-2005, 09:39 PM
i run 225/45/17 on my v6 with no probs , and according to my gps thingy whotsit when the speedo is showing 60mph the gps is showing 58 :thumbsup:

Wodjno
02-09-2005, 09:46 PM
i run 225/45/17 on my v6 with no probs , and according to my gps thingy whotsit when the speedo is showing 60mph the gps is showing 58 :thumbsup:

And that could be 58.9mph /yes

EdmundVR4
02-09-2005, 11:53 PM
Regarding speedometer accuracy, here is my experience. I have an Apexi AVC-R EBC & a Field Hyper R fuel controller installed in my VR4. Both units have digital speedometers & tachometers & I can say that when my analog speedomter reads 100km/hr both digital speedometers read about 96-97 km/hr ...same with the digital tachometer, they read a bit less than the analog VR4's. I believe both units are fed off the VR4's ECU & they register the same readings. I think the VR4's gauges are a bit optimistic, as are most analog speedometers.

psbarham
03-09-2005, 07:15 AM
Thanks for all the advice, me thinks ill be keeping them /yes

Only one other isuue

Galant V6 offset is 46mm the new wheels are 50mm offset and what with the wider and slightly taller tyres the inside edge is VERY (i.e. about 8mm) close to the 'knuckle', that bit of steel which bends up behind the wheel from the hub to the top mount on the rear suspension.

From looking at the manual it doesnt appear that the wheel and tyre would move independantly to this piece of metal but as i said there aint much room.

Can you get offset spacers from anywhere? are they specific for the galant? how much are they?

BDA ones could be a distinct possibility :thumbsup: if hes interested.

Anyone know more than me about this? (Highly Likely)

The last thing I want is a blow out on the way to TRAX on sunday :(.
it won't be a problem if it doesn't touch now then it never will do , mind if it does touch then you've done something silly involving a very solid item and your suspension

Big Ian
03-09-2005, 08:27 AM
i run with 225/45/17 only prob you may get is your tyre rubbing "ever so slightly" while on full lock and it will be against the very back against the inner wing....then again your car aint lowered :inquisiti yet :happy: so you may be fine :thumbsup:
like other's have said this tyre/wheel size is the closest you get to standard dimensions :thumbsup:

:leer: also we like to see pictures of other folk's mod's /yes

AncientOfMu
03-09-2005, 09:38 AM
Pictures will follow when I've spent 4 hrs on it today cleaning it :P

Well it is Trax tmrw :D :thumbsup:

Nick Mann
03-09-2005, 01:45 PM
I have tested out the speedo's for accuracy at 60mph in both the leggys.. Not very scientifically, but this is what i did. On a nice flat straight piece of motorway kept the needle of the speedo bang on the 60mph. Then as the odometer clicked over to the next 10th of a mile i started a stopwatch. Then waited until it clicked over 1 mile and stopped the stopwatch . I have done this 5 or 6 times nor on each car and always the stopwatch is between 59.2 secs and 59.8 secs.. I think this means they are pretty accurate at 60 mph .. Or are they ?? :inquisiti

Err.... Are you just comparing your odo to your speedo? :inquisiti

bernmc
03-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Err.... Are you just comparing your odo to your speedo? :inquisiti
My thoughts exactly - they're both using the same circuitry, and will both be equally inaccurate!

Wodjno
03-09-2005, 09:14 PM
My thoughts exactly - they're both using the same circuitry, and will both be equally inaccurate!

Hmmm !!

So if i travel at 120mph for 2 mile measured by my odo. Will it be exactly 1 min ..?? :inquisiti
And would this still happen if a speedo was inacurate by -10mph. And on another car with a speedo that was inacurate by +6mph :inquisiti