PDA

View Full Version : Inner & Outer CV JOint / driveshaft solutions:

bernmc
03-09-2005, 10:28 AM
There has been a fair bit of discussion about shot driveshafts and CV jts recently, and Mo's stock is running low! I've done a bit of investigation myself today (after it seems that VMTP Cannocks c0ckups have killed my inner CV jt):

A new driveshaft will set you back around £450 inc VAT from the main dealer.

Outer CV Joint dead
WODJNO posted this site up a while back - www.cv-joint.com/ (http://www.cv-joint.com/) - they're very knowledgeable and helpful, but are limited to supplying the outer CV joint (I didn't get details, but Wodj was quoted around £100 for a replacement outer CV joint.)

Inner CV Joint Dead
The dreaded words 'main dealer only' will be what you hear from most people. However, I found this lot:

Paul Knox
Reco-prop UK Ltd.
Unit 4
Newtown Trading Estate
Chase St
Luton
LU1 3QZ
01582 480959
Paul suggested I send my shaft in to him. Worst case scenario, for a total rebuild of the inner CV joint: £150 + VAT! Not cheap, but a lot better then £450.

I'm in two minds now - whether I take the shaft out myself and send it off, replace the gearbox seal and reinstall myself, or to take the car back to VMTP and let them sort it...

Mo's come out top again and offered me the loan of his GLS :thumbsup:, so at least I won't be spending 4 hours on public transport every day!

Kieran
03-09-2005, 11:06 AM
Mo's come out top again and offered me the loan of his GLS :thumbsup:, so at least I won't be spending 4 hours on public transport every day!

'Tis a mighy fine loan car! :smug:

Re: The driveshalfts, if it's within your capability, then I would do it. VMTP have proven on more than one occasion that they're top-class fumbos, so why trust them again?

bernmc
03-09-2005, 01:21 PM
I suppose the only thing is the cash aspect - Do it myself, and pay the 150 quid up front, and then try to get it back from VMTP, or give it back to them, let them have another go - they have to foot the bill...? Problem is that they might try to cover themselves with a quick fix... :(

I don't know. I'm going to ponder it over the w/end. Ordered a new driveshaft seal from the local mitsi bunch just in case (only about 4 quid!)

zedy1
03-09-2005, 08:59 PM
'Tis a mighy fine loan car! :smug:

Re: The driveshalfts, if it's within your capability, then I would do it. VMTP have proven on more than one occasion that they're top-class fumbos, so why trust them again?

its not a gls its a fine 2.5 v6 with full black leather :thumbsup:

Dan_G
03-09-2005, 09:30 PM
Reco prop fabricated a propshaft for my Rover V8 powered Mk3 Granada.. I supplied them with a racing propshaft that fitted a Rover V8 powered Capri and they spliced it with a Granada cosworth propshaft, balanced and painted it.

I was impressed with the results and the guy seemed to know his stuff.

certainly £150 to rebuild the CV joint is alot cheaper than the dealer for a new one... /Hmmm

bernmc
04-09-2005, 10:08 AM
Jacked the car up this morning to have a :inquisiti - offside driveshaft is out again - about 10mm, and there's a dribble from the seal. Nearside is clearly still leaking into the CV joint as there's a spray of liquified CV grease around the joint.

So it's going back to VMTP with instructions to get it sorted, and not to call me until it has been :|

bernmc
17-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Now look at this my fine freinds: Mentioned in another thread that I'd gone out and bought a new driveshaft for the car in an effort to get the bloody thing back on the road after all of VMTP's shennanigans... I'd taken it back to them with atf leaking from the inner CV joint driveshaft boot. Everyone I spoke to couldn't work out how this was happening. VMTP had phoned me up after another look and gave me some spiel about wear & tear around the driveshaft and the seal not making proper contact etc etc.

Well, either they're more stupid than they look, or were lying. I asked for the old shaft back so that I could look into getting it reconditioned as a spare.

It's pretty obvious what was happening:

1stly, note how the shaft has been damaged by some mullet with a mallet:

bernmc
17-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Now, for the real problem. If you look down the insode of the shaft end, you'll notice there's a little dimple that appears to have been punched out: so we have a communication between the g/box ATF and the CV joint.

zedy1
17-09-2005, 08:09 PM
dont want to say this but you only needed the inner cv joint and i had these in stock :embarasse

bernmc
17-09-2005, 08:09 PM
Now, I cannot understand how this happened, but it seems to me that the most likely cause is a half-wit with a sharp implement. That shaft is only 40000 miles old, and I can't believe that the metal will fail so badly so soon. Result - atf in the CV joint, all the molywotsit grease washed out, and the end of my CV joint.

I may try to get the joint reconditioned when I've got some more pennies again, so I'll have a spare.

Problem is, I doubt I could ever prove that VMTP done it :|:|:|

bernmc
17-09-2005, 08:12 PM
dont want to say this but you only needed the inner cv joint and i had these in stock :embarasse Mo, how much, and how easy is it to change the joint with basic workshop tools?

If VMTP had been honest about the problem, rather than the cack about the actual shaft/seal interface being the problem, I might have realised that it was just the joint :(

Paul Beazer
17-09-2005, 09:32 PM
Bern, the dimple you are refering to, is that the small blob at quarter past 3??

Certainly looks like some oaf has been battering at the end of the joint. Never heard of rubber or copper headed mallets??

It makes me so mad that some of these complanys carry on trying to mug people like yourself. There is so much of this b*ll**** in the garage industry. They assume that because you have taken it to them to fix, you dont know anything! Thats one of the main reason why i do as much as I am capable of doing myself, oh that and im tight! At least if i do it i know its been done correctly, if i mess up then i mess up.

bernmc
17-09-2005, 10:43 PM
This bit (ringed in red) - should be a dimple, but now is a hole. Stay away from these cowboys!

zedy1
17-09-2005, 10:47 PM
bern there straight forward to fit and ill pm you a price tommorrow

BraindG
18-09-2005, 11:57 PM
This might help Bern... they are very very easy to fix!

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10685&highlight=drive

p.s. they really butchered your ones... boy oh boy.. they didn't have a clue how to get em out did they