PDA

View Full Version : MP3 player software preferences ?

Dream Weaver
03-09-2005, 02:19 PM
As Microsoft Media Player has thrown a sulk on my PC I need something that has similar functionality (i.e. organise and play MP3s, rip CDs, and so on). Anyone have any favourite that they can recommend ?

strapping young lad
03-09-2005, 02:42 PM
to rip audio cd's to mp3

cdex

winamp for playing mp3's

whats up with the media player? what do you mean its thrown a sulk?

realplayer will do what you want too (but it aint easy to find the free version on the site!)

Dream Weaver
03-09-2005, 03:43 PM
every time I start it, it comes up with that stupid "has encountered a problem and needs to shut down" crap.

For how much Windows software costs, I would expect it to be more robust.

Paul Beazer
03-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Try downloading the lastest version (10 if you're running XP, 9 if you're not)
and installing it over the old copy, that should sort it, probably...

Dream Weaver
03-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Tried that, bang on its stupid arse again as soon as I fired it up.

Paul Beazer
03-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Uninstall first?

Dream Weaver
03-09-2005, 04:59 PM
According to the gurus on the Net, it is an integral part of windows and can't be uninstalled.

It seems you can only back it out to version 9.

What a pile of pants !

strapping young lad
03-09-2005, 05:00 PM
try this

go into control panel and create another account

log off yours and go into that one and open up media player

if it works fine then your profile is gashed and you need to set it up again (or copy your stuff onto the newly created one)

if not then ive been in the same position and no matter what i did, it crahsed and i resorted to rebuilding my pc (3hrs on 1 meg adsl)

but tbh real player does what you want it to but it doesnt seem to pick up codecs very well, so what i use is the following

mp3's - winamp
divx - vlc
normal mpegs and avi's - vlc or media player classic (NOT avail from microsoft)
rip albums - cdex

it means that you rely less on one item

wmp does pick up codecs very well but so does vlc

psbarham
03-09-2005, 08:10 PM
if its just for mp3's and ripping and burning cds then I tunes from apple is :thumbsup: easy to use and best of all its free :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

psbarham
03-09-2005, 08:54 PM
while we are on the subject of software , does anybody know of a program to convert quick time movies into MPEG's ? windows movie maker won't touch them :embarasse

Dream Weaver
03-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Your idea of creating a new user works strapping young lad, but how do I copy my settings ?

Believe it or not I am an IT professional with 25 years+ skills and knowledge but all this Windows stuff is so unnecessarily complex. I wonder why ? To earn loads of money perhaps ?

dickytim
03-09-2005, 10:23 PM
I use music match jukebox for ripping then just right click and send to for burning. I find it a good combination.

Funkstar
03-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Using Nero with all the plug-ins does the job. Find it on any decent torrent site.

strapping young lad
04-09-2005, 10:29 AM
hello there

glad my suggestion worked

it may be a bit long winded so if you want, pm me and i shall send you the details, (let me know what apps you use (email/newsgroups etc) and i will let you know what you need to do.

cheers
dyfed.

Dream Weaver
05-09-2005, 02:03 PM
TBH I can't be bothered with WMP any more - its interface is a pain in the bum and it is clumsy to use.

Now uisng WINAMP, can you make it bigger as I find it a wee bit small and hard to read, I tried double size but thats a bit too big !

CDEX I had already so just continue to use that.

And WINDVD to play DVDs but the WMP error seems to have made that sulk as well.

Can I just copy the documents & settings folder from old to new userid or will that copy the problem as well ?

I think the reason for the problem is my son has got a PSP and has been installing and uninstalling all sorts of software to try to put his DVDs onto memory stick as MP4s.

strapping young lad
05-09-2005, 02:21 PM
yeh go into your Documents and Settings folder on the c drive then copy the following

My Documents
Desktop (if u got stuff on your desktop
Favorites

from the broken profile onto the new one

if you use outlook for email then i think there is a wizard for saving your stuff in office itself

if you dont use IE then you need to backup your bookmarks and copy them across

basically go back and forth until the new profile suits what you need

then remove the old one (Remember to setup your new account ot have the same privilages as the broken one!)

www.videolan.org has a decent vid player and its free

with winamp if you are having trouble seeing the player but onlky use it to play/pause, etc then just setup the hotkey function then you dont need to see the player again as its all operated by key combos.

Dream Weaver
05-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Thanks

Outlook is easy, just copy the .PST files.

strapping young lad
05-09-2005, 04:00 PM
aye

make sure u copy your email acount settings too and your rules :)

its finding the right pst file though thats the bugger

so i just export all my current folders (inc your contacts!!!!) into a pst then you know you wont have missed owt

in case u didnt notice u need to copy your contacts too! :)

Dream Weaver
05-09-2005, 04:43 PM
I have no contacts, I am Billy no mates !

d3x
05-09-2005, 04:43 PM
blimey, I missed all of this!

glad to hear you got it sorted... :thumbsup:

Dream Weaver
05-09-2005, 05:01 PM
Thanks all

chuffing Microshaft !!!!!!