PDA

View Full Version : 6 turbo'ed 6A13TT

bradc
04-09-2005, 08:00 AM
First of all I know I'm out of my mind and that this is a terrible idea.

I was thinking last night that if I go for a pair of TD04 turbos that my car would be very sluggish below about 3000 or 3500rpm before the boost kicks in. If I go for more agressive style cams then this will get even worse.

As we all know, if you have a pair of smaller turbos they will reach boost sooner than a single large turbo. I was really keen to go for a pair of TD04's for my car, especially after seeing Valmes do it to his car.

I read an article about the Bugatti EB110, which has 4 turbos hanging from it's V12 engine, each turbo running from 3 cylinders.

I thought about 4x TD03's for about a second before I realised it would be too difficult to get even flow between them, you would have 3 cylinders on one bank flowing into 2 turbos.

Then the idea of 6 TD03's came to me, running a turbo off each cylinder. I was thinking of mounting the turbo a 2-3" tube coming from the side of the engine block, to have the turbo slightly away from the engine. Then having a 3-1 exhaust manifold for the turbos on each cylinder bank.

The incoming air would be difficult to route, there would need to be a manifold of some description coming from the air filter so that each turbo could draw in it's own air supply. The compressed air coming from the turbos would of course join together into a big tube coming from each bank of cylinders, then joining up similar to how the standard car is setup.

I figure this setup will give wicked response down low in the rev range, and the TD03's won't be stretched to provide a full 16psi or even more at full revs. The only thing I am concerned about is that there won't be enough exhaust gases from just one cylinder to spin up one of the turbos well enough.

I know I can get the turbos fairly easily, it is just the tubing that would be super complicated, I'm particularly worried about the air intake into each turbo.

There would be other problems like fitting all this stuff into the engine bay and cooling oil lines for each turbo, but I'm sure it could be done.

Am I completely out of my mind? Thoughts?

kornstar
04-09-2005, 09:01 AM
i think it would be impossible lol

ako
04-09-2005, 10:39 AM
In a nutshell: Bloody stupid idea.

You say you're worried about lack of low down kick with twin td04s, yet think this will give wicked response? Its about FLOW, not the size of each individual turbo. I've seen in-car footage of a 6A12 VR4 with twin T25's (ex - 300zx), and while it may have taken half a second more to come on boost (3500rpm vs 2700), the difference in top end was phenomenal.

The 6 turbos WOULD spool, eventually, probably around 6500 rpm or so :inquisiti

Think of it this way. Having a boost threshold of around 3500rpm isnt a bad thing. Why? When do you EVER try and get decent acceleration below 3K RPM? Honestly?

The simple fact is, the stock turbos on the VR4 are undersized from the outset anyway. ANYTHING you put on will be an improvement. If you have to wait 500rpm for them to hit... Bugger it, itll be worth it.... Unless you actually LIKE racing people at 3000rpm :p

bradc
04-09-2005, 10:48 AM
hehe ok point taken ;)

dickytim
04-09-2005, 11:06 AM
besides which, there is always NOS to spool up the turbos.

It would be impossible to plumb in the turbos in our engine bay, heck it is hard enough to upgrade the 2 turbos

You See
04-09-2005, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't trust myself with NOS....think I'll play with it too much and would have to fill it up every week....lol :drummer: