PDA

View Full Version : noisy on startup

andyv6s
04-09-2005, 01:20 PM
hi all,

another newbie to the fold.

i have had my 2001 galant v6 sport estate from 6 months old and i LOVE it.

recently tho, she has started to tap tap on start up, and for about 100mls before the last service the tapping was always there at tickover.

the noise seems to be coming from the rear bank drivers side.

i have got an engine manual and am prepared to replace the lash adjusters if i really have to.

my engine is a 6a12 i think.

any advice on this or tuning her up when she is better would be gratefully accepted.

great site for a great car. i'll join next payday
andy b

DUNLY
04-09-2005, 01:34 PM
hi there, welcome to the site. not an expert on this, but i think nearly every1 on the site has had this we problem, and is a very common thing, but believe this to be very normal from a mitsubishi engine. when was the last service?? whenever you service it give it a really good engine flush. my car used to be really bad with the tapping. then i changed the oil and added wynns hydraulic valve lifter lifter treatment. Now shes quiet as anything and cant hear her ticking over when at stationary.

try doing a search for engine tapping, loads of information on here about it!
:thumbsup:

Kieran
04-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Hello Andy - And welcome to Club VR-4 :thumbsup: :drummer:

Yes, the tap-tap-tap-tap you describe is very, very, very, very common! As Dunly says, it's lash adjuster tick.

Do a search for 'lash adjusters' and you'll find more info than you'll know what to do with. I've had 3 8th Generation galants now (a 2.0 GLS, a V6 Sport and now a VR-4) and they've all done it. The cure has always been the same - And that is to perform a very thourgh engine flush. The VR-4 has been the worst offender of my three and took a lot of effort to make it shut up.

I recommend you use a product called comma 'Flush out'. It's traditional tryle flushing oil, not one of these additives you chuck in 10 minutes before you drop the oil. I drained my existing oil, refilled with flush out, ran the car for 10 minutes, drained again (whereupon I marvelled at the crap that came out), refilled with semi-synth, went blasting round the block for 15 minutes, then came back dropped the oil (again!!), re-filled with Miller's XSS fully synth and changed the filter. :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4

I doubt you'll need to go to that extreme(!!!) - drop the oil, use comma flush-out, then refill with a good quality semi-synth or fully synth. I used Millers XFS 10w40 semi in my sport. :happy:

A couple of good, proven preventions are to use Wynns Lifter treatment, and also, I've found that the genuine Mitsubishi filters are worth paying the extra money for. Cheapo filters seem to be less good here, and the V6 is quite demanding of the oil you put in it.

I tend to think of the Lash adjuster tick as Mitsubishi's built-in oil change reminder!! :embarasse :embarasse /lol

By the way - the engine is the 6A13 V6 - the 6A12 is used in the older versions :thumbsup:

andyv6s
04-09-2005, 02:17 PM
thanks fellas for your quick responses.

kieran, i realised my mistake after i posted, thanks.

i also found the pages and pages of posts about this very subject.

my mind is a little more a ease now.

i just had the car serviced and had a timing belt change last week and picked it up last night. i hoped this had sorted it but when i started it, it was just as noisy.

however i have just started her up cold and she is silent!!!!!

oil is the key no doubt.

thanks again i'll keep you posted