PDA

View Full Version : Help!! gearbox problem

SNWMAD
04-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Hey i own a legnum manual Vr4 and have only 1st, 3rd and 5th gears at the moment. What has happened?
All the top gears are where neutral use to be and neutral is now at the bottom of the shifter where 2nd, 4th and reverse was.

2nd etc can't be reached as the the lever doesn't go any lower. i've checked all the mounts and nothin has moved that i can see. its like the whole thing has moved.

The top gears(1,3,5) all still go well and there is no noises that i can hear.

Is going into the shop 2morrow but just don't want some idiot to take the whole thing apart if there no need. I'm on holiday in Wanaka NZ so not near my normal mech.

Also just one other thing: the car is running 12psi at the moment but boost cuts if put higher. Why is it boost cutting when they are meant to run 14.5 with standard computer. It only cuts in higher gears, 3rd onwards.
I've had the coils tested and new sparks. haven't looked at the leads yet.

I don't want to run 14.5 but am planning mod's that will hold more boost in the future.

Grrr, fuel prices, these cars soooo thristy.

tig202
04-09-2005, 11:21 PM
Snwmad, your gear change issue doesnt sound too drastic, it sounds like a vital part of the gear linkage has come adrift giving you weird gear places :joker: Might be worth checking the brackets the gear change cables sit in :thumbsup:

Kenneth
04-09-2005, 11:35 PM
yep, sure does sound like your linkage.

If you pull the kick panel on the passenger side off, and pull up the panel that has the shift boot on it, you can get at the shifter end of the linkages. Its pretty easy to tell which one you need to be looking at, but FYI its the one attached to the bottom of the shifter. (you can actually get a decent look without taking the kick panel off)

I suppose you will want to check that everything is ok there, then move to the engine bay. get someone to move the gear stick up and down so that you are only moving the linkage that you want.

You might want to lift the airbox out to get a better look at what you are doing but the linkages attach under the intake piping somewhere. They are reasonably visiable.

if you cant see anything wrong, you might want to remove one of the linkage ends and see if you can get proper movement out of it without it attached to the gear lever. (if you remove the gearbox end, you will need to move the bit it attaches onto the gearbox with, no point in just moving a disconnected linkage! )

Good luck.

Freddy
06-09-2005, 08:50 AM
Regarding the cut out problem, are you running a fuel cut defender? If not, and your tweeking your boost, you need one.

pimp
22-09-2005, 04:39 AM
i have a similar problem to my gearbox only goes in 1st and 3rd gear only, i am looking for any dealer that i can buy a gearbox

dickytim
22-09-2005, 06:43 AM
LOL, I know exactly the part that has broken, I broke mine, not a major, there is a rubber part where the cables for the gear selector meet the gear box, the rubber perishes and breaks, the part is about $80 + GST, you will have to wait for it no one keeps them in stock, about 8 weeks from japan, unfortunately I don't have a part number for you, the exploded gearbox diagram I have doesn't show it, the bad news is that changing the part will take 5 min, getting to the part will take the best part of 2 hours :)

What ever you do DO NOT take it to the Gearbox Factory in ET.

Freddy
23-09-2005, 01:54 AM
Funny you mention The Gearbox factory. They rebuilt a gearbox for me when I owned a GTO. It lasted one year. Tried to claim it on their one year warranty and they wouldnt have a bar of it. Reason, the planetry gears had failed which they never replaced in the rebuild because the fine print said they didnt have to.
/grr
Cost me two and a half grand. Auckland Automatics did a good job for me, ask for Ken.