PDA

View Full Version : help

SNWMAD
04-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Hey i own a legnum manual Vr4 and have only 1st, 3rd and 5th gears at the moment. What has happened?
All the top gears are where neutral use to be and neutral is now at the bottom of the shifter where 2nd, 4th and reverse was.

2nd etc can't be reached as the the lever doesn't go any lower. i've checked all the mounts and nothin has moved that i can see. its like the whole thing has moved.

The top gears(1,3,5) all still go well and there is no noises that i can hear.

Is going into the shop 2morrow but just don't want some idiot to take the whole thing apart if there no need. I'm on holiday in Wanaka NZ so not near my normal mech.

Also just one other thing: the car is running 12psi at the moment but boost cuts if put higher. Why is it boost cutting when they are meant to run 14.5 with standard computer. It only cuts in higher gears, 3rd onwards.
I've had the coils tested and new sparks. haven't looked at the leads yet.

I don't want to run 14.5 but am planning mod's that will hold more boost in the future.

Grrr, fuel prices, these cars soooo thristy.

ako
04-09-2005, 09:48 PM
I'd say linkages - check them, and the mount they have onto the gearbox. Either that or you've done something a bit worse and internal, but I doubt it.

Boost - they normally run closer to 10psi standard, dont know where you heard 14.5psi from. The cut is just something you have to live with, or tune out with some sort of AFC or piggyback.

SNWMAD
05-09-2005, 01:49 AM
Was told by Lightning motorsport, they also rang up other crowds and they all said that the standard computer can handle 14.5 before a re-map is needed.

As for us NZ guys, what is the best option for an upgraded ECU. Should i have it re-mapped or use an aftermarket job, if so what the best for 98 fuel.

ako
05-09-2005, 05:47 AM
Two things: The fuel cut is not boost related. It can come in as high as 15 psi on a hot day and as low as 10psi with derestricted pipework and a cold night. Mitsis work on an AIRFLOW cut, not a BOOST cut like most other makes. Lightning might know their stuff on evos but they seem to have told you a porky or you've misunderstood on this one.

Second: You can't "remap" the stock ECU... Yet. Look around ths site for what ECU you want to go with, the e-manage is the pick of the piggybacks but not too well supported in NZ, for a full ecu setup... How deep is your wallet?